Phones and texting during massage and paying up front

I've had several massages lately during which the masseur can't separate himself from his phone.  In one case, when he got right next to me on the cover he was using on the bed, he put the phone down within a few inches of my face. 

And what's the deal with paying up front now?  That's happened twice in the past month and last time I told the guy I don't pay until he's done.  I wish they'd say that up front, before I hire.  I told him he'd have gotten a nice tip if he hadn't asked for it up front.  But then I got a so-so massage from a disinterested kid.  

Edited by Guest

Early in my experiences I paid up front twice...both turn out to be pretty bad experiences.  Lesson learned.  I haven't paid up front again (ok, once, and it turned out ok).  

Its usually a deal breaker for me.   The worst is when payment is asked for upon arrival and it hasn't ever been mentioned before.  As @Jmatt mentioned, it would definally affect the tip...or lack of. 

I've commented before that the one handed massage while masseur looks at his phone is one of my pet peeves.     

I used to have a trainer and occasionally, he'd have to take a call because he was also managing the gym he was training me in; he'd take his free hand and put it on my shoulder while he was taking the call, as if to reassure me and say, 'I'm still here.' 

Later, he went all cray cray on me but I felt, well, at least you're letting me know you're still here. 

I have noticed that masseurs who are a little older and more experienced turn the phone off or silence it for the duration of the massage.  These also are the guys who wait to get paid until the end and give you their undivided attention, have a hand on you all the way through and act like you've been friends forever.