I think a deranged pregnant woman is on the loose

samhexum

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2023 at 6:42 PM, samhexum said:

In the last 2 days a chocolate factory in West Reading, PA exploded and a 3-alarm fire destroyed a pickle factory in Patterson, NJ.  

Methinks somebody's hormones are out of whack... or maybe it's just coincidental.

I have a new theory/suspect about the culprit:

Endangered 14-foot shark pregnant with 40 pups washed up on beach

Scientists were flabbergasted after a giant, dead hammerhead shark washed up on an Alabama beach with 40 pups in its stomach.

The find was described recently in a Facebook post by City of Orange Beach Coastal Resources, who recovered the fearsome flotsam.

According to the post, the incident occurred Thursday after “a deceased 14-foot Great hammerhead shark” washed ashore in Orange Beach, Alabama.

“A few individuals pulled it to shore and contacted Coastal Resources,” they wrote. “Our staff quickly arrived and were able to get it off of the beach.”

The team continued, “While it was very sad that it passed, we were excited about the rare opportunity of seeing a Great hammerhead in such good condition.”

Accompanying photos show the rescue crew using a crane to lift the shark’s carcass onto the back of a truck.

Named for its gavel-shaped noggin, the critically endangered critter is one of the largest sharks in the world, capable of weighing nearly 1,000 pounds and attaining lengths of 20 feet.

The beast preys on smaller fish, octopuses, squid and stingrays (although they may get weird pregnancy cravings; we just don't know), which it locates by using its hammerhead to scan the sand like a giant fleshy treasure detector.

Determined to take advantage of the intact specimen, scientists reached out to researchers at Mississippi State University’s Marine Fisheries Ecology group, who performed a necropsy on the corpse the following day.

They didn’t determine the animal’s cause of death (I suspect an overdose of chocolate and pickles); however, the post-mortem examination did reveal a Jaws-dropping surprise: The hammerhead was reportedly pregnant with 40 pups.

While certainly crestfallen over the deaths of the mama shark and her offspring, Orange Beach Coastal Resources acknowledged that “the data collected will be tremendously helpful in learning about Great hammerhead fecundity [fertility].”

“This was definitely an experience that we won’t forget, and we are grateful to have played a small role in this unique case,” they wrote.

In a similar story last year, beachgoers stumbled upon an 11-foot, 500-pound female hammerhead that had washed ashore in Southeast Florida.  Just like in the aforementioned incident, it also had a payload of pups in its stomach. (Methinks an overly horny male hammerhead is living in the southern US... or maybe it's just coincidental)

Edited by samhexum
for shits and giggles

16 hours ago, samhexum said:

Scientists were flabbergasted after a giant, dead hammerhead shark washed up on an Alabama beach with 40 pups in its stomach.

The find was described recently in a Facebook post by City of Orange Beach Coastal Resources, who recovered the fearsome flotsam.

According to the post, the incident occurred Thursday after “a deceased 14-foot Great hammerhead shark” washed ashore in Orange Beach, Alabama.

“A few individuals pulled it to shore and contacted Coastal Resources,” they wrote. “Our staff quickly arrived and were able to get it off of the beach.”

The team continued, “While it was very sad that it passed, we were excited about the rare opportunity of seeing a Great hammerhead in such good condition.”

Accompanying photos show the rescue crew using a crane to lift the shark’s carcass onto the back of a truck.

Named for its gavel-shaped noggin, the critically endangered critter is one of the largest sharks in the world, capable of weighing nearly 1,000 pounds and attaining lengths of 20 feet.

The beast preys on smaller fish, octopuses, squid and stingrays (although they may get weird pregnancy cravings; we just don't know), which it locates by using its hammerhead to scan the sand like a giant fleshy treasure detector.

Determined to take advantage of the intact specimen, scientists reached out to researchers at Mississippi State University’s Marine Fisheries Ecology group, who performed a necropsy on the corpse the following day.

They didn’t determine the animal’s cause of death (I suspect an overdose of chocolate and pickles); however, the post-mortem examination did reveal a Jaws-dropping surprise: The hammerhead was reportedly pregnant with 40 pups.

While certainly crestfallen over the deaths of the mama shark and her offspring, Orange Beach Coastal Resources acknowledged that “the data collected will be tremendously helpful in learning about Great hammerhead fecundity [fertility].”

“This was definitely an experience that we won’t forget, and we are grateful to have played a small role in this unique case,” they wrote.

In a similar story last year, beachgoers stumbled upon an 11-foot, 500-pound female hammerhead that had washed ashore in Southeast Florida.  Just like in the aforementioned incident, it also had a payload of pups in its stomach. (Methinks an overly horny male hammerhead is living in the southern US... or maybe it's just coincidental)

I don't trust the reporter on this one about the shark being a hammerhead.  If she was indeed pregnant with pups, then clearly she was a dogfish.

On 4/28/2023 at 3:07 PM, samhexum said:

Gee. I wonder why they're endangered....

Funny Drunk Hammerhead Shark, 'I'm Hammered!'" Poster for Sale by auristela  | Redbubble

I feel a song coming on