Hopeful for a summer job in DC

Kman

Actually it's Arlington.  It would be a travel position from May to August.  I am casually looking at short term rentals and most seem to be in DC.  I was wondering about having my car there but I don't know what driving there is like??? and it sounds like there is ample public transportation.  Any advice would be helpful.  Thank you

1 hour ago, Kman said:

Actually it's Arlington.  It would be a travel position from May to August....

Asking for such advice here? It's going to be a steamy summer!

From the archives: 'Young men on the sexual fringe' - QnotesCarolinas.com

I've never lived in DC, buy have spent a lot of time there, and my experience is that driving your own car is the least convenient way to move around the city, at least during a work day. Traffic lights, one-way streets, congestion, pedestrians, and parking availability -or the lack thereof- combine to make a sane man one no longer.

Public transit using buses or subway may be a convenient alternative, and given the cost of car ownership and garaging, may be a cheaper one, as well. Of course, you have to dance to their schedules and adjust yours accordingly. And the convenience of these modes of movement depends highly on the proximity of work and home to their stops and stations.

Ride services such as Uber or Lyft could be a viable alternative so long as the distance is minimal. However, you'd then still be contending with street traffic and all its problems.

Map locations of home and work, then check proximity of both to public transportation. 

I used to live in Arlington and now live south of there in Alexandria.   I absolutely appreciated having my car. Parking in the city itself sucks, but outside in Maryland and Virginia is nowhere near as bad.

The question will become if parking is included where you end up living. If there is an extra cost. It may make you reconsider. 

Driving in DC can be awful and space can be limited and expensive depending on where you stay. Living around the DC area (i.e. MD or VA) with a car is much easier. You wouldn't have problems parking. The DC/MD/VA area has ample public transport but after a certain time of night when the Metro shuts down, cars (your own car or uber) are a necessity.

21 minutes ago, Kman said:

Thanks for all the advice/tips but the whole job fell through.  Pretty bummed I think a summer in DC would have been  fun.  

The next opportunity is now in east Texas or Scottsdale.  

Well damn...  sorry to hear that.  Scottsdale is a pretty nice area, but I would hate the summers.  

• 2 weeks later...

No more Scottsdale either 🤨.  

I am headed to Virginia! Just a few hours outside of DC. I found an Air BnB to stay at for the whole summer.  So I hope to be able to go to DC at least 2 or 3 times.  

Feels pretty surreal at the moment as I have never done anything like this before, so should be an exciting adventure.  

4 hours ago, Kman said:

No more Scottsdale either 🤨.  

I am headed to Virginia! Just a few hours outside of DC. I found an Air BnB to stay at for the whole summer.  So I hope to be able to go to DC at least 2 or 3 times.  

Feels pretty surreal at the moment as I have never done anything like this before, so should be an exciting adventure.  

is that part of the summer job?......or just an extended vacation?.......sounds great

20 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

is that part of the summer job?......or just an extended vacation?.......sounds great

It is the summer job.  Traveling occupational therapy assistant.  My hope is that it turns into an extended vacation of sorts...after my 13 weeks are up at this first place I could potentially stay in Virginia or go somewhere completely different (within the US).  

On 3/15/2023 at 10:22 PM, Kman said:

That’s a real thing?  I heard about people selling their parking spots but I thought it was a joke.  🤯🙃

Absolutely. Many are deeded with the unit, mine happens to be a separate purchase. We're prohibited to sell or lease it to anyone not living in the building. You can sell it to anyone who does, although a unit without a parking place gets a steep discount. My unit was listed with the parking place for an extra $25K but I negotiated it into the purchase price. I have two property numbers and get two tax bills, although the bank rolled them together into one mortgage, in retrospect I probably could have just pair for it separately, but I wasn't thinking at the moment. I also lease a space from a neighbor who has a tenant with no need for it, and the 2nb space is very nice to have. 25K seems to be the current starting price for an indoor heated space,