Actress Kim Novak is 90 years old today (February 13)sh

WilliamM
Message added by rvwnsd,

While there are several true nuggets of Hollywood gold here, many of them do not pertain to the topic, which is Kim Novak's 90th birthday.

Let's keep the thread about Ms. Novak.

To those who have posted comments and birthday wishes for Ms Novak, thank you and keep 'em coming!

6 hours ago, misterhumphries said:

It's the same with Elizabeth Taylor. I was in a training class and the topic turned to favorite movie stars. The only reference those 20somethings had for Ms. Taylor was: "didn't she have a perfume or something?"

Sad fact is most youngsters may be clueless when it comes to Old Hollywood trivia and the accomplishments of its stars.

Exactly.  Just try to find anyone today who is able to hold a conversation about Pearl White or Florence Lawrence.

6 hours ago, misterhumphries said:

It's the same with Elizabeth Taylor. I was in a training class and the topic turned to favorite movie stars. The only reference those 20somethings had for Ms. Taylor was: "didn't she have a perfume or something?"

Sad fact is most youngsters may be clueless when it comes to Old Hollywood trivia and the accomplishments of its stars.

That's just a damn shame regarding the actress best known for voicing the only word Maggie Simpson has ever spoken.  ("NO!")

On 2/14/2023 at 9:31 PM, samhexum said:

That's just a damn shame regarding the actress best known for voicing the only word Maggie Simpson has ever spoken.  ("NO!")

Who remembers Mary Pickford (,born Cladys Smith)  today?  

My mother's older sister occasionally mentioned Gladys. Mom's sister died in 1980

26 minutes ago, WilliamM said:

Who remembers Mary Pickford (,born Cladys Smith)  today?  

Who remembers PickFair?  

Pickfair_1920.PNG

Located at 1143 Summit Drive in San Ysidro Canyon in Beverly Hills, the property was a hunting lodge[5] when purchased by Fairbanks in 1919 for his bride-to-be, Mary Pickford. In the 1920s, the newlyweds extensively renovated the lodge, transforming it into a four-story, 25-room mansion complete with stables, servants quarters, tennis courts, a large guest wing, and garages.

8 hours ago, samhexum said:

Who remembers PickFair?  

Pickfair_1920.PNG

Located at 1143 Summit Drive in San Ysidro Canyon in Beverly Hills, the property was a hunting lodge[5] when purchased by Fairbanks in 1919 for his bride-to-be, Mary Pickford. In the 1920s, the newlyweds extensively renovated the lodge, transforming it into a four-story, 25-room mansion complete with stables, servants quarters, tennis courts, a large guest wing, and garages.

I believe it was later purchased by Pia Zadora and then at some point was demolished.  

5 hours ago, CuriousByNature said:

I believe it was later purchased by Pia Zadora and then at some point was demolished.  

Nope, still there.

Property Overview

Legendary pickfair estate originally built as a hunting lodge in 1919 & reblt in 1932 by wallace neff for douglas fairbanks sr & mary pickford. Famous landmark estate meticulously restored in 1994. Much of original estate remains. Grand georgian manor has lrg terraces overlooking spectacular grounds & views. Property includes lrg spa w/ dome glass ceiling, gym, original pool, theater & discoteque. Main house has 4 bdrms+3 bdrm guest apt+2 bdrm guest hse+staff qrters+security+parking for 18 cars.

Property Features

Bedrooms

• Bedrooms: 15
Other rooms
  • Dining Room, Den, Library, BonusRoom, Central/Center Hall, FamilyRoom, Guest-Maids Quarters, Gym/Exercise, LivingRoom, Media/Music Room, Office, Sauna, Wine Cellar
  • Laundry: Inside, Individual Room

Building and Construction

• Floor: Carpet, Hardwood, Marble
  • Patio Features: Lanai, Patio Open
  • Roofing: Tile
  • Building Style: Villa
  • Total Floors: 3

Exterior and Lot Features

• City Lights View

Garage and Parking

• Attachd Garg, Garg, Undergrnd, Other

19 minutes ago, samhexum said:

Nope, still there.

Property Overview

Legendary pickfair estate originally built as a hunting lodge in 1919 & reblt in 1932 by wallace neff for douglas fairbanks sr & mary pickford. Famous landmark estate meticulously restored in 1994. Much of original estate remains. Grand georgian manor has lrg terraces overlooking spectacular grounds & views. Property includes lrg spa w/ dome glass ceiling, gym, original pool, theater & discoteque. Main house has 4 bdrms+3 bdrm guest apt+2 bdrm guest hse+staff qrters+security+parking for 18 cars.

Property Features

Bedrooms

• Bedrooms: 15
Other rooms
  • Dining Room, Den, Library, BonusRoom, Central/Center Hall, FamilyRoom, Guest-Maids Quarters, Gym/Exercise, LivingRoom, Media/Music Room, Office, Sauna, Wine Cellar
  • Laundry: Inside, Individual Room

Building and Construction

• Floor: Carpet, Hardwood, Marble
  • Patio Features: Lanai, Patio Open
  • Roofing: Tile
  • Building Style: Villa
  • Total Floors: 3

Exterior and Lot Features

• City Lights View

Garage and Parking

• Attachd Garg, Garg, Undergrnd, Other

How I wish this was true, but unfortunately Pia Zadora had most of the property razed to the ground because it was infested with termites.  She later claimed that the real reason was the ghost of a laughing woman, who was someone Douglas Fairbanks had been having an affair with in the 1920s.

The present Pickfair was constructed around 2005 in a very different style, and I believe it is considerably more ornate and lavish than the original - including having 30 bathrooms.

This is an aerial photo of it when it was listed for sale at $60M

image.png.d356bc8ce89b8cd79c0664662533bb9d.png

6 minutes ago, CuriousByNature said:

How I wish this was true, but unfortunately Pia Zadora had most of the property razed to the ground because it was infested with termites. 

BUMMER!  But it gives me the chance to tell you that I went to Europe with a friend in 1989 and she bought a fedora at a street fair and named it Pia Fedora.  Pia sat on a shelf in her closet for years.

3 hours ago, samhexum said:

BUMMER!  But it gives me the chance to tell you that I went to Europe with a friend in 1989 and she bought a fedora at a street fair and named it Pia Fedora.  Pia sat on a shelf in her closet for years.

A very old joke says that when Pia played Anne Frank on stage, as the Nazi soldiers came on scene the audience yelled 'she's in the attic!'

Kim  Novk had a significant affair with Sammy Davis y junior in the  1950s. I only vaguely remember the rumers.

An interracial  romantic relationship was unheard o aback then, especially to Columbia  studios and the  contact with Novak

Davis  marrieda s Vegas backup singer he barely know Novak married one of her directors.

Kim Novk did visit Sammy Davis, junior shortly before he died of throat cancer in 1990

2 hours ago, CuriousByNature said:

A very old joke says that when Pia played Anne Frank on stage, as the Nazi soldiers came on scene the audience yelled 'she's in the attic!'

Rose: “Oh I thought she was terrific last year in 'The Diary of Anne Frank.'”

Dorothy: "Oh Rose please, during the entire second act the audience kept yelling, 'She's in the attic! She's in the attic!'”

2 hours ago, WilliamM said:

Kim  Novk had a significant affair with Sammy Davis y junior in the  1950s. I only vaguely remember the rumers.

An interracial  romantic relationship was unheard o aback then, especially to Columbia  studios and the  contact with Novak

Davis  marrieda s Vegas backup singer he barely know Novak married one of her directors.

Kim Novk did visit Sammy Davis, junior shortly before he died of throat cancer in 1990

Even after they split up he always kept an eye out for her.

10 minutes ago, CuriousByNature said:

Even after they split up he always kept an eye out for her.

Maurice Kaufmann (29 June 1927 – 21 September 1997) was a British actor. He was married to Honor Blackman from 1961 to 1975. They adopted two children.  Kaufmann died in 1997 in London from cancer, aged 70. He was nursed, on his deathbed, by his ex-wife.

1.  I hope that means that she tended to him, not that she breast-fed him.

2.  Ironically, he appeared in one episode of THE AVENGERS... the year after she left the show.

Edited by samhexum
for shits and giggles

On 2/16/2023 at 8:28 PM, samhexum said:

Maurice Kaufmann (29 June 1927 – 21 September 1997) was a British actor. He was married to Honor Blackman from 1961 to 1975. They adopted two children.  Kaufmann died in 1997 in London from cancer, aged 70. He was nursed, on his deathbed, by his ex-wife.

1.  I hope that means that she tended to him, not that she breast-fed him.

2.  Ironically, he appeared in one episode of THE AVENGERS... the year after she left the show.

Kim Novak was married for forty four years to her second husband. 

Edited by WilliamM