Pippin 50th Anniversary

skynyc

There was a reunion celebration of the original cast of Pippin last night at 54 Below that was a real treat. Hosted by Walter Willisen, who was the original standby for Pippin, the event featured the original Pippin, John Rubinstein. Four of the original dancers, including Pamela Sousa and Candy Brown, the two ladies who danced with Ben Vereen in the TV commercial...which was the first live action TV commercial for a Broadway show. We learned that it saved the show which was dying at the box office. (The other two players present were Gene Foote and Cheryl Clark.) Also present was Joy Franz who was  the second replacement for Jill Clayburgh as Catherine, (the first was Betty Buckley).

Leland Palmer, who was a big Broadway dancer at the time, played Fastrada, and she left New York after Pippin to move to California and have a family, although she made some TV and movie appearances including Audrey in All that Jazz. Ads promised a video from her, and it was terrific, but the second show last night was lucky enough that Ms. Palmer appeared in person. The rest of the cast was as surprised and thrilled as the audience.

One of the poignant moments was a reminiscence by Will McMillan who was the standby for the child role, Theo, who shared that he never got to go on, but talked about all the things he learned as a 10 year old in a big Broadway hit. The songs for Ben Vereen's character, The Leading Player, were ably handled by Aaron Lee Battle. It was fun to hear these songs sung by voices who knew them so well, and marvelous to hear the stories.

My single regret is that neither Rubinstein or Franz told anecdotes of their time in the show.

The Deets: There are two more sold-out shows tonight, the 7:00 one is being live-streamed for about $30. I bought my ticket for $75 back in August when the event was announced. Most 54 Below shows run about 75 minutes, this was closer to 95. 

Here's the ad: 

Pippin was always one of my favorite shows. I saw the original production and a few revivals. 
In the original John Rubinstein was so attractive. He’s still good looking. 
The standout for me was Irene Ryan who played Granny on the Beverley Hillbillies. She was only 59 when she got that role and died when she was only 70. She played Pippin’s grandmother and gave good advice. 
When I hear the song “No Time At All” which was a sing-a-long in the show it always chokes me up for some reason. The moral of the song, don’t waste time, life is over quickly, enjoy every moment.