I’m enjoying WILL TRENT on ABC

samhexum

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

If anyone here watches, did you catch the blooper at the end of the finale?

Amanda and Will were standing in front of the coffee machine, and she put her credit card in the slot and offered him a cup. Then, after she gave him his mother's necklace, she walked away.  So, unless Will thought to take her credit card out of the machine, the good people at that hospital are still getting free coffee.

My best friend and I both caught this, but my sister didn't.

I enjoyed the first season.  I'm kind of a sucker for shows set in Atlanta, especially when they use the local locations well.  Seeing the Silver Skillet and Colonnade show up was fun for me personally.  And nobody ever called the Perimeter "the 285" which is a cardinal sin in my book.

The "defective detective" trope is a bit overdone, but they use his backstory as a product of abuse in the foster care system to good effect. The dynamic with his cop girlfriend also being a product of the system was well done.

Sadly some of the episodes were frustratingly poorly executed.  The episode with the software company conspiracy stands out as particularly bad, especially because the resolution had no implications outside of that episode.

They also had a couple big thematic swings that fell short.  The cold case episode where the murder of a black family was covered up by the local police could have been a centerpiece for the season.  It was arranged too soon in the season, and it seems the story was trying to take a jim crow era crime story from the 60s but pull it into the 90s to allow for the main plot to take place today, leading to some jarringly anachronistic plot points.

Overall, I liked it. It probably shouldn't have been a network series, given the limitations they impose. Hopefully, if it is still renewed for another season after the writers strike, they will have a chance to mature the writing a bit better. Still it's worth a watch.

• 7 months later...
On 7/13/2023 at 12:00 AM, purplekow said:

I thought this was the best new show I had seen in a few years.  

On 7/17/2023 at 3:06 AM, DynamicUno said:

I enjoyed the first season...  Overall, I liked it. It probably shouldn't have been a network series, given the limitations they impose. Hopefully, if it is still renewed for another season after the writers strike, they will have a chance to mature the writing a bit better. Still it's worth a watch.

Good 1st episode.