West Wing

purplekow

One of the basic cable stations locally ran a Thanksgiving Weekend West Wing Marathon.  I watched about 12 different episodes.  Most of them held up really well.  Many of the topics discussed are topics we are discussing almost 20 years later, climate change, nuclear proliferation, Russian aggression, the Middle East, Rogue states.  The show had a cerebral flow and a point of view but did not hesitate to show both sides of an argument though clearing leaning left.   The drama was fast paced.  The writing was witty and well crafted.  I learned something in just about every episode.  The acting was top notch.   

I would love to see something this good on TV now.  I do not believe I was as big a fan when it first aired as I am now.  

Anyone else recall this show with fondness?

7 hours ago, Marc in Calif said:

It was one of the very best TV shows of this century (debuted in September 1999). It was also one of the tightest "ensemble" dramas ever. I never considered just one or two cast members to be the leads. In my opinion, Sorkin's writing made all of them leads.

I agree in that the focus changed frequently not only from show to show but with the same show.  I would consider going back and watching all 156 episodes.  One episode I saw this weekend had interviews with real politicians including Jimmy Carter. Gerald Ford and Bill Clinton as well as DeeDee Myers, Henry Kissinger and others.  Their statements, usually 15 to 30 seconds long then lead into an aspect of that weeks story.   It was extremely well done and getting those people to speak candidly about life in the White House and as President was captivating.