Twitter alternative Mastodon

BeamerBikes

I moved over my Twitter presence for cybersecurity stuff over to Mastodon because I've joined the club that Twitter will prolly implode badly in the coming months. 

50% Layoff and the remaining have to sign a "hardcore" pledge by tomorrow.  

Outages are going to be inevitable at this point with that much brain drain.

An unexpectedly high number of the remaining 50% decided that 3 months of severance was better than whatever "extreme hardcore" meant for work life balance.   Smart money is on Twitter experiencing major outages by this weekend when the World Cup piles on their infrastructure.  

Also reports of Twitter "leadership" locking everyone out of the office for fear of sabotage. Offices are closed until Nov 21.  Also if you are an exceptional employee, you may be allowed to work remote.  I'm assuming exceptional employee includes anyone left.  Everything is fine over there. 

Edited by BeamerBikes
Edited to correct probable misinformation about leadership getting locked out of their own building.

I've known about Mastodon for a long time, but I've never tried it.  I've wondered if the self hosted, decentralized/federated model could ever replicate Twitter's vast community.  I've always assumed it would end up being  balkanized where you have clusters of interest groups that don't interact consistently.

The software itself appears reasonably robust, it's been used by several Twitter wannabe sites (like truth social) to fork their own instances.

Twitter may not be going anywhere, but advertisers are leaving. Users are starting to look elsewhere. Engagement numbers are up, but a trainwreck brings a crowd.  Financially, I find it hard to see how it will find its way back to a $44 Billion valuation. 

Leaving politics aside and definitely out of this discussion.

I'm finding the Mastodon fediverse a different experience than Twitter. Some learning curve with the new platform for sure.  Folks are rebuilding some networks. There's definitely more content moderation occuring depending on instance joined. This may not be sustainable in the long term.  

At least one of infosec folks has resecurrected a forum site. Imagine that. Company of Men.  Ha! Forum sites being used in the 2020s. 

• 2 weeks later...