My Policeman with Harry Styles

Just Sayin

I went to see "My Policeman" last night, and I must admit, despite some mixed reviews, I am still thinking about the movie, which is a good sign.  It seems that the last several books I have read have been either set in Great Britain or about English gay men living before 1967, when homosexual acts were decriminalized, and "My Policeman" fits with telling what it was like living there at that time.

Here's a link to a review in the LA Times: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2022-10-21/review-my-policeman-harry-styles-emma-corrin-lqbtq

I'd recommend seeing it for several reasons: 1) I love watching Harry Styles! 2) it's about that period not so long ago where it was difficult and dangerous to be a gay man; 3) the cost of living how one "should" live rather than how one wants to live and living with the consequences; 4) Emma Corrin, as young Tom's girlfriend and wife and Gina McKee, as the older Tom's wife, are both spectacular; and, last, but not least, the sex scenes between Tom (Harry Styles) and Patrick (David Dawson) are delicious! 

I read the book.  I wanted to like it more than I did.  Oh well.  I forgot they'd made it a movie.

A similar, much better book, I hope you like:

https://www.amazon.com/Story-Marriage-Andrew-Sean-Greer/dp/0312428286

Until 5 months ago I had no idea who/what Harry Styles is/was.  Now I can't get into one of my favorite cafes because he ate their once and now it's always mobbed.  Or he mentioned it in a song. Or both  Or whatever.  Beachwood Cafe.  

I still don't know really who he is.

On 10/31/2022 at 9:16 AM, Rod Hagen said:

I read the book.  I wanted to like it more than I did.  Oh well.  I forgot they'd made it a movie.

A similar, much better book, I hope you like:

https://www.amazon.com/Story-Marriage-Andrew-Sean-Greer/dp/0312428286

Until 5 months ago I had no idea who/what Harry Styles is/was.  Now I can't get into one of my favorite cafes because he ate their once and now it's always mobbed.  Or he mentioned it in a song. Or both  Or whatever.  Beachwood Cafe.  

I still don't know really who he is.

@Rod Hagen, so, I hadn't heard of Harry Styles either until I started watching "reels" on Instagram; I think many of the Instagram reels are from TikTok; while doing that, I kept on seeing this English guy singing and dancing around; somehow I was mesmerized! if I were in LA, I'd be tempted to go see him in concert beginning tomorrow (Nov 2); he has a rather fun but humble demeanor that is quite appealing, and I enjoyed seeing him in "My Policeman."

I finally watched the second half and was glad I did. It sure got better and the acting was quite good. I know in the past, and probably even now, closeted men felt a need to marry a woman for all of the reasons you can think of. The movie portrays this difficulty well and with feeling.

One question left...is Harry Styles really a top?😉

• 1 month later...