"Blonde" on Netflix

thought this'd already be a thread, but seems not.....

couple friends and I watched this last night.....highly mixed reviews (from confused reviewers??), but viewers need to realize it's very much a "reimagined" version of Marilyn Monroe's life with all kinds of artistic license taken......I really liked the slick/clean cinematography and the scene staging, but, by the last quarter or so, I grew weary of the incessant portrayal of her as nearly crazy and always seemingly confused and/or sad.......its NC-17 (!) rating apparently comes from a couple or so "rape?" scenes (one includes a very quick flash of a probable-prosthetic penis as a producer induces her into sex early in her budding career).....an entirely fictional "throuple" relationship she has with Charlie Chaplin Jr. and Edward Robinson Jr (who seem to be portrayed as bisexual) is actually pretty hot, with actors Xavier Samuel and Evan Williams looking great.....also, much of the film revolves around Marilyn longing to meet her biological father and that is apparently much-fictionalized, too....and I don't know why, but Joe DiMaggio is never named, but, instead, is only credited as "ex-athlete" (played by good-looking Bobby Cannavale).......despite my concerns, I still think the movie was fun to watch (and I haven't mentioned other interesting aspects of the movie)...and Ana de Armas as Marilyn is great!......just go into the flick knowing much of it is not at all accurate!

Edited by azdr0710

I watched it as well last evening - it's long, nearly three hours.  I didn't know a lot about Marilyn Monroe, so I wasn't entirely sure what was fact and what was fiction.  I also found some of what I will term the "artsy-fartsy" visual effects annoying, in particular, the threesome scene  in which it seemed like viewer was sent on acid trip and totally obscured what should have been beautiful bodies in various forms of coupling.    I too had a hard time understanding the NC-17 rating since the potential scenes that might merit it were more like flashes where if you blinked, you'd miss it.  I also thought the floating fetus pregnancy/abortion scenes were overdone.  That said, I appreciated Ana de Armas' commitment to her performance and didn't regret watching the movie.

39 minutes ago, leeper said:

I watched it as well last evening - it's long, nearly three hours.  I didn't know a lot about Marilyn Monroe, so I wasn't entirely sure what was fact and what was fiction.  I also found some of what I will term the "artsy-fartsy" visual effects annoying, in particular, the threesome scene  in which it seemed like viewer was sent on acid trip and totally obscured what should have been beautiful bodies in various forms of coupling.    I too had a hard time understanding the NC-17 rating since the potential scenes that might merit it were more like flashes where if you blinked, you'd miss it.  I also thought the floating fetus pregnancy/abortion scenes were overdone.  That said, I appreciated Ana de Armas' commitment to her performance and didn't regret watching the movie.

good points and I entirely agree with all you say........thanks for the mention of scenes I didn't include in my post......