Anyone invest in Tesla?

I bought Tesla stock about 6 or 7 months ago and its been doing OK but now it's going to split 3 to 1 this coming week.   Do you think it will affect the stock in general?    curious.   I'm not super familiar with stock investing in general.   I just bought some shares when a friend said they had a great return on their Tesla stock.  

I own some directly and of course anyone who holds an S&P fund or similar owns some indirectly.  A stock split is in itself meaningless (same size pizza, just divided into more slices) but often a sign of management's confidence in the underlying business.  Any bump that gives the stock has likely already been priced in when the split was announced.  The actual split may drum up some further interest in the stock, but it would just be one factor among many influencing its movement: perceived impact of the Inflation Reduction Act, movement in the price of oil, what happens that day vis-à-vis Musk v. Twitter, movement of other meme stocks...

TSLA is probably a fine investment, but as it already has a huge market cap. I wouldn't expect to see the impressive returns of the past.  If you're new to investing in stocks, I'd recommend broad-based low fee ETFs, such as IVV (mimics the S&P), which will give you a bite of Tesla and 499 other stocks.

Kevin Slater

I'd invest in anything that would return.  I'm a smart businessman (or, try to be)

While I never took my shot with Tesla, I did invest with Apple and was also left a nice amount of their stock when a client passed away several years back.  

As per usual, KS gives sage advice above.  He's a credit to these forums 👍

Edited by BenjaminNicholas

• 3 weeks later...