The Anarchists (HBOMax)

pitman

I had some problems with this series right from the start, but it was compelling enough that I stuck with it.  My reservations started with the title, since the show never attempts to explain the history of anarchism and the different views on what anarchism actually is.  A more honest title would have been "The Anarcho-Capitalists" or "The Hedonistic Libertarians".

The series is centered around a group of mostly privileged upper middle class Americans who decide to create their own little utopia in Acapulco, essentially a colonial village with little or no interaction with the local population.  Over a period of several years we see the "community" fracture and attempt to regroup.  Initially I found little to identify or sympathize with in any of the characters, but as it got darker it got better.  The final episode was especially strong and at least somewhat redeems the series as a whole.

I think its worth watching 

I watched every episode of The Anarchists.  I don't think any of them subscribed to a common understanding of what being an anarchist meant or what a life fully free of rules entailed.  Most of them came across as very broken people and Jeff Berwick, the "leader" of the anarchy conferences in Acapulco was a complete tool, from his always flipped-up collar on his polo shirts and designer sunglasses, to his totally incomprehensible speeches at the conferences.