Good Buzz For New Elvis Movie

Lucky

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Lucky said:

The Sydney Morning Herald gave it 3 out of 5 and didn’t think much of it.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the film “Elvis” last week. I highly recommend it even though I found it extremely difficult to sit through and one of the saddest films I have ever seen.  I was bowled over by Austin Butlers portrayal of Elvis Presley.  The guy absolutely nailed it from beginning to end. If he does not win the Academy Award for Best Actor, it will prove to me that winners are not selected based on their performances but rather on what is politically correct at the moment. I did not, however, much like Tom Hank’s portrayal of “Colonel Tom Parker”. As far as I’m concerned, he over acted to the point of creating an absurd caricaturization of Parker. However, my money is definitely on Hanks winning best actor in a supporting role for his performance. Hanks along with, for example, Meryl Streep and Helen Mirren are amongst a group of actors who if they walked out on a stage, tripped, and feel over the audience would go crazy – they simply can do NO wrong.

The first half of the film is a typical, and unfortunate, Baz-Luhrmann mess, the rest is fine. Hank's performance is a distraction throughout.  Butler is very very good as Elvis.  Lucky is right, he nailed it.

And in the end you see a sad and beautiful performance by Elvis, and you're reminded, again,  how golden that voice was.  

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Austin Butler was fantastic. He nailed two key scenes. First, when Elvis played the TV special his way and second, the first Vegas show. Regrettably, the movie was way too long. We got the point that Colonel Parker was a bad dude but how much screen time did his character require?

Cinematography and costumes were well done. 

• 1 month later...