Steve Bronski has passed away.

augustus
This topic is 730 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

23 hours ago, augustus said:

Good Lord, I just found out that Steve Bronski died in a fire in his London apartment this past December.  He was a great musician and one of the first openly gay musicians and band.   Here is a great pop e-music song from 1984.....

Such sad news. Somehow I missed it back in December.

The importance of “Smalltown Boy" to a young gay boy in the 80’s cannot be overstated. 

As an aside, I once had a trainer come out to me after 2 years of working out together
with the simple statement, "you know you’re not the only one who ‘had to leave in the
morning with everything you own in a little black case’…..".

After 2 years of being clueless, I instantly knew he was family. And the rest is history.

Edited by nycman

I remember that song as it was a hit in Europe where I lived at the time. We all went to discos and it was played often. However I never got the lyrics and what they were about. Like a lot of music at the time the message got subsumed by the tunes.

Other hits' lyrics were more in your face like I am What I Am or I will Survive.

I remember Loving that song, and somehow having no idea what it was about.  I watch the video now, and think, Jesus, how did I not get it?  And, what would have my childhood and young adult life been like, at least internally, if I had gotten it?  

Beautiful Boy.  Grateful we still have Jimmy Somerville. 

Edited by Rod Hagen