Online Scam I Almost Believed

Lucky
This topic is 734 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

15 hours ago, Gadfly22 said:

You know come to think of it I don't trust Capital One either. This happened so long ago I almost forgot but back in the day when you had to mail a check to pay your cc bill I had a Capital One card and whenever they got your check a day or 2 before the due date they would hold on to it till it was past due so they could charge you a late fee. This happened a couple of times with other banks but if I called and complained they would refund the fee. Capital one never did which led me to believe this shady practice was part of their business model. After the 3rd or 4th time I told them to go f themselves and cancelled the card. Has your experience with them been ok?

I can't remember the last time I paid a bill with a check.  I use auto-debit for just about everything, so I've never experienced your issue.  Plus, with the issues with USPS over the past few years, I would never send a check and expect it will be delivered, let alone on time. From my own professional experience, part of my job is managing transaction processing for my company.  Capital One, like most businesses who accept checks, uses a lockbox (P.O. box).  Your payment is considered delivered when it gets to the lockbox.  Internal process delays aren't valid reasons for assessing late charges.  They run the risk of being cited during audits, especially since they're a bank.  Lockbox processing centers can determine exactly when an item was delivered and compare that against when it was processed. They have deadlines, but anything received prior to their daily deadline should be processed that day.    

My own personal experience with them has been great.  Each time my card was compromised they were very efficient (new card via FedEx the next day) and assured me I wouldn't be responsible for any fraudulent charges, but I'd hope that would hold true for other issuing banks. The Virtual Card Number feature is what really keeps me as a customer.