I-bonds

I can't find the article I just read but it was predicting the next i bond rate in May to be 4.00% - 4.80%. That's not including the 0.40% fixed rate that gets added on if you bought an i bond during this current cycle. There was no additional fixed rate for the i bonds that I and a lot of people bought last May so hopefully the rate is more towards the high end of the prediction. I'm getting 4.25% interest right now with my high interest savings account so don't wanna be making less interest than that.

5 minutes ago, Beancounter said:

Here’s a link to an interesting read talking about the upcoming fixed component of the I-bond rate.  

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4584640-i-bonds-long-term-buying-opportunity-coming

I read another article projecting an increase in the fixed rate as well, although not as high as the link above projects. 

Prosperity to all. 

That's the article I read! I didn't notice they are predicting the fixed rate to go up as well. Unfortunately I bought $10k worth of i bonds in January so I'm all tapped out until January 2024. I'll have to see what the fixed rate is come November 2023.

Edited by BuffaloKyle

1 hour ago, Beancounter said:

Here’s a link to an interesting read talking about the upcoming fixed component of the I-bond rate.  

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4584640-i-bonds-long-term-buying-opportunity-coming

I read another article projecting an increase in the fixed rate as well, although not as high as the link above projects. 

Prosperity to all. 

Annoyingly, the article is behind a paywall (or at least I have to sign up or something).  But I'll take the gist you guys provided. 

By late April we'll probably have a better idea of what the new rates may be (at least the variable component-- not sure if the fixed is a simple calculation), and can decide at that point whether to purchase before or after May 1.

Kevin Slater

2 minutes ago, Kevin Slater said:

Annoyingly, the article is behind a paywall (or at least I have to sign up or something).  But I'll take the gist you guys provided. 

By late April we'll probably have a better idea of what the new rates may be (at least the variable component-- not sure if the fixed is a simple calculation), and can decide at that point whether to purchase before or after May 1.

Kevin Slater

I can see it fine. I'm in incognito mode on google chrome browser.

February CPI came out last week and was hotter than expected, so the article's variable interest rate calculation/estimate is low. My estimate is that the May rate will be 3.42% (variable) + 0.8% (fixed) = 4.22%. I'll have to re-visit this in May to assess my prediction. We will definitely know the variable interest rate when the March CPI is released in the second week of April.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2023 at 2:38 PM, jawjateck said:

February CPI came out last week and was hotter than expected, so the article's variable interest rate calculation/estimate is low. My estimate is that the May rate will be 3.42% (variable) + 0.8% (fixed) = 4.22%. I'll have to re-visit this in May to assess my prediction. We will definitely know the variable interest rate when the March CPI is released in the second week of April.

March CPI is out, so we know the inflation adj rate for I bonds will be 3.39% beginning May 1. Darn it, I missed my estimate by 3 basis points. Haha. I do expect the bump up in the fixed component. 

Invest accordingly gentlemen. You can get the current 6.8+% for next two weeks and it will pay that for 6 months, then adjust down.

22 minutes ago, jawjateck said:

March CPI is out, so we know the inflation adj rate for I bonds will be 3.39% beginning May 1. Darn it, I missed my estimate by 3 basis points. Haha. I do expect the bump up in the fixed component. 

Invest accordingly gentlemen. You can get the current 6.8+% for next two weeks and it will pay that for 6 months, then adjust down.

However, if the fixed component does bump up, over the long haul a bond bought in May will be worth more than one bought in April, despite having a lower upfront nominal rate.

Kevin Slater

Suze Orman's podcast on Thursday will be about Ibonds and if you should buy them this round.   Her advice is usually pretty good on Ibonds and that's how I first learned about them and that I could also buy another $10K in my trust using my SSN since my trust doesn't have a fed ID Number.   I usually buy $10K in January and then another $10K in May or June and did buy $10K in January but probably won't buy anymore.

Something interesting about Ibonds is that Sheila Bair was on Suze's show a couple weeks ago (she used to be a high up in the treausry depoartment) and when suze asked her about Ibonds she said with no hesitation she wasn't buying them before May.   

• 2 weeks later...
October-2022-to-April-2023-I-Bond-Rate-P
KEILFP.COM

April 2023 I Bond interest rate is 6.89%! Buy US Series I Savings Bonds in April at 6.89% for 6 months. May 2023 I Bond Inflation Rate Projected at 3.38%!

For those interested….this financial firm projects the I-bond rate to be 3.38%.  We’ll know soon enough what the rate will be in a few days. 

Also, this particular website is very informative and easily understood for all levels of investors from novices to seasoned veterans.  In the interest of full disclosure I’m not affiliated with this firm.  Dumb luck and a Google search landed me there. 

Prosperity to all.  

Edited by Beancounter

3 hours ago, Beancounter said:
October-2022-to-April-2023-I-Bond-Rate-P
KEILFP.COM

April 2023 I Bond interest rate is 6.89%! Buy US Series I Savings Bonds in April at 6.89% for 6 months. May 2023 I Bond Inflation Rate Projected at 3.38%!

For those interested….this financial firm projects the I-bond rate to be 3.38%.  We’ll know soon enough what the rate will be in a few days. 

Also, this particular website is very informative and easily understood for all levels of investors from novices to seasoned veterans.  In the interest of full disclosure I’m not affiliated with this firm.  Dumb luck and a Google search landed me there. 

Prosperity to all.  

It's interesting...we're in the part of the cycle where inflation is coming down (and so, then, is the I-bond rates) but it's not low enough for the Fed to bring down the funds rate and possibly even raise it further.  Even if they freeze it where it is for a while, I'm getting 4.79% on some of my money markets (as of this morning's email which said they are raising the rate) which is better than 3.38% (or possibly 3.78 with the fixed .4%) that it might be on Monday.

I didn't get in on the fixed rate, so I don't have to think about it...if the rate does drop to 3.38% I'll sell my bonds once the 3 month grace period is over (since I'm less than 5 years.)

31 minutes ago, Jim_n_NYC said:

I didn't get in on the fixed rate, so I don't have to think about it...if the rate does drop to 3.38% I'll sell my bonds once the 3 month grace period is over (since I'm less than 5 years.)

Yeah I'm gonna sell the one I got last summer once we are 3 months into the new interest rate period as well and put it into a CD.

On 3/17/2023 at 11:38 AM, jawjateck said:

I underestimated by 8 basis points.....dang it!

Effective Monday......4.3%, including 0.9% fixed component.

So over the long haul, these new bonds will pay better than the previous offering. 
One play would be to keep your funds in a high yield money market fund (currently earning more than 4.3%) until mid-October, then purchase these new bonds to lock in the nice fixed rate and getting interest from the first of the month. 
Kevin Slater

2 hours ago, Kevin Slater said:

So over the long haul, these new bonds will pay better than the previous offering. 
One play would be to keep your funds in a high yield money market fund (currently earning more than 4.3%) until mid-October, then purchase these new bonds to lock in the nice fixed rate and getting interest from the first of the month. 
Kevin Slater

But I already spent $10,000 on an i bond in January! 😭

Dang that 0.9% fixed rate would have been nice. It hasn't been that high since November 2007. Now I gotta wait and see what this November will bring.

Edited by BuffaloKyle

After seeing that the Fed raised rates by 0.25% today, I went to Fidelity to check the new issue Treasuries rates.  I've been cycling thru 3 month bills, but there aren't any listed yet, but the 2 month bills show a 5.09% rate.  That's the first time I've seen them over 5% for the 2 months.

16 minutes ago, BuffaloKyle said:

Just saw on the treasury direct site:

• The Virtual Keyboard will be removed the week of May 7th to improve the customer experience.

Yay! I hate entering my password with that thing! I read awhile back too but didn't post on here they made it easier to change your banking information as well.

It was also really stoopid because they required your password to have at least one uppercase and one lowercase letter, then the virtual keyboard didn't make a distinction.

Kevin Slater

2 hours ago, Kevin Slater said:

It was also really stoopid because they required your password to have at least one uppercase and one lowercase letter, then the virtual keyboard didn't make a distinction.

Kevin Slater

Who says Catch 22 is only a work of fiction.