I-bonds

6 hours ago, GlenDale said:

Given, the variable changes but how does one determine the fixed rate?

The fixed rate is what it is when you buy the bond until you sell it.  Right now it's 1.3%, so for any bonds bought between now and end of April '24 that's what it will be and will remain 1.3% on those bonds until they are sold.

16 hours ago, GlenDale said:

Given, the variable changes but how does one determine the fixed rate?

They don't have the formula for the fixed rate determination posted but it's something to do with inflation and interest rates long term. So now that this has been going on for awhile, inflation & high interest rates, that's why the fixed rate is going up now as well.

8 minutes ago, BuffaloKyle said:

They don't have the formula for the fixed rate determination posted but it's something to do with inflation and interest rates long term. So now that this has been going on for awhile, inflation & high interest rates, that's why the fixed rate is going up now as well.

Definitely difficult to keep straight but from a simple practical stand, if the best I’ll earn on these two bonds are less than 4% it was a bad investment choice considering the current state of CD rates.

Today I opened a 25k cd at Forbright yielding 5.75% 

• 2 weeks later...

Suze Ormans podcast on Weds was pretty interesting.

I already bought one for my individual account in Early January and held off for my trust account.   If I do buy one for that accoutn I'm going to sell one that has the zero percent fixed rate at the beggining of next month and buy the new one the end of the month.

Can't remember if it was addressed in this thread or not she metnioned is you earn interest for the whole month regardless of when you buy it and you lose out on the interest for the entire month you sell it in, so buy towards the end of the month and sell on the 2nd.

Reason I am debating on buying one is she mentioned the fixed rate.   I always thought you were guaranteed the fixed arte the life of the bond, and found out it isn't the case if there's deflation.  

Thinking of just taking the three month interest hit and buying another 28 day Tbill with it and continue to reinvest that.   I live in a state with a high state tax rate so treasuries are nice being exempt from state tax

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The link below provides an analysis of what the projected I-bond rate will be, both the fixed and variable rates.  It’s a fairly long video (22-23 minutes) but it explains how the rate projections are arrived at.  

For those not wanting to watch the entire video this video projects the fixed rate to be 1.2% and the variable rate to be between 1.98% and 2.8% (I think).  I’d have to rewatch the video to see what the upper-end variable rate would be.   

Prosperity to all.  

https://youtu.be/g1mVtOxYEHE?si=YU2ZvUViH9EN_UJ2

Edited by Beancounter

2 hours ago, Beancounter said:

That's an old article from May 2023. This article came out today predicting a rate of 4.25% (2.95% inflation & 1.30% fixed)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/treasury-may-set-new-i-bonds-rate-at-around-4-3/ar-BB1loJWC

• 2 weeks later...