The Thing About Pam

This topic is 742 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I binged over the weekend the first 4 episodes of The Thing About Pam with Renee Zellweger. The story was taken from a Dateline episode and Podcast. OMG...this is so good. It's campy fun kind of a Desperate Housewives vibe to it. Renee is great as usual and I can't wait for the last 2 episodes to air.  BTW it's on NBC. Watch it!

NO, she stays plump thruout the series..... I was hooked from the very first minute of her "tour de force" performance...  Loved the cat & mouse feel of the series, which kept me invested.

I looked Pam Hupp up on Wiki, and there is more to the story which i dont believe they get into in the series.   She was "diabolical" 

16 hours ago, jjkrkwood said:

NO, she stays plump thruout the series..... I was hooked from the very first minute of her "tour de force" performance...  Loved the cat & mouse feel of the series, which kept me invested.

I looked Pam Hupp up on Wiki, and there is more to the story which i dont believe they get into in the series.   She was "diabolical" 

Was she trying to win a bet with Leto about who could wear more makeup and padding to play a part that should have gone to  heavier actor? They’re out there. I love her performances as a rule, but c’mon now… 

5 hours ago, jeezifonly said:

Was she trying to win a bet with Leto about who could wear more makeup and padding to play a part that should have gone to  heavier actor? They’re out there. I love her performances as a rule, but c’mon now… 

Actors ACT and BECOME,  they dont have to BE.....  thats WHY they call it actting.   She was Great in the role, WITH all the padding so give her her Flowers.     Another actor may have been the right size,  but not been able to carry the role....

Again, it's called ACTTING!  and with actting, often comes Transformation.... And its all about the finished product, which there was no faults with.  She played the fuck out of that role. 

Perhaps it was the "narrative" style that didnt connect with you. ?   Some people react to that form of storytelling the way others react to "sub-titles", they just dont connect.....   I found the voiceovers added that comedic touch needed for the character, afterall Pam was an outrageous person....and unintentionally comedic.  

Critics enjoyed Renee's performance, but felt the series "celebrified" the criminal but had little empathy for the victims.  

Basically just a "campy" adaptation which turns into  a guilty pleasure.   I'm not Mad at it !  🥰

7 hours ago, jeezifonly said:

Gone to a heavier actor?

Please let's not let society become this fucking PC, where if you're playing a gay character, you must be gay (etc, etc, etc).  

Actors act.  A truly great actor can play a multitude of roles.  Are we now going to shit on Meryl Streep for her having played dozens of roles with foreign accents that certainly weren't her own?  

Let's also be honest:  Movies and TV are a business.  Names like Zellweger get people watching.  You don't produce a movie or television series, spending millions of dollars, and not expect some kind of return.  

Series Finale was last night, and it didnt disappoint.   I particularly liked the sequence of Pam retelling the events of her shooting the intruder.  They gave it a slap-stick, comedic treatment to highlight Pams absurd personality, her detachment from reality and her gift of storytelling....

Nevertheless, Pams story will be retold this Fri night on an actual  Dateline Special, where we will get comment from many of the REAL participants to this story,  her husband,  the shady DA,  the saintly attorney, Russ Faria and others.