The Hay-Adams

Steven_Draker
This topic is 5553 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Watching the news this week, it's difficult not to remember my first trip to Washington DC decades ago (pun intended).

It's going to be hard to do an in-call at the Hay-Adams this week ... :-)

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/2008/12/31/2008-12-31_home_sweet_hotel_obama_family_moves_into.html

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/01/01/alg_hotel.jpg

Steven Draker ~

[a href=http://www.hotsexystud.com/uk]website[/a] [a href=http://www.daddysreviews.com/review.php?who=steven_draker_brussels]reviews[/a]

[a href=http://www.tofighthiv.org/goto/stevendraker]Aids LifeCycle 2009[/a]

Guest zipperzone

I just read that Obama's mother-in-law is moving into the White House too. Is it right that the American taxpayer has to house and feed her as well plus god knows how many other expenses she will charge.

>I just read that Obama's mother-in-law is moving into the

>White House too. Is it right that the American taxpayer has to

>house and feed her as well plus god knows how many other

>expenses she will charge.

Actually it's not exactly true that taxpayers will pay her expenses. The First Family has to pay out of their own pocket all expenses related to family needs in the private residence of the White House. They will be billed for meals served, dry cleaning, haircuts, and other day to day expenses incurred that are not related to official business. Arguably though, since his $400K salary is taxpayer money it could be asserted that we are paying the freight for his mother-in-law. LOL

Yeah, and it's such an awful example to set for those "family values" proponents, eh?

My understanding is that the First MIL retired from her job (as an educator) to help with the kids during the campaign. What a national tragedy it'll be to have such a strong, dedicated family in the White House!

</sarcasm>

Guest zipperzone

>Actually it's not exactly true that taxpayers will pay her

>expenses. The First Family has to pay out of their own pocket

>all expenses related to family needs in the private residence

>of the White House. They will be billed for meals served, dry

>cleaning, haircuts, and other day to day expenses incurred

>that are not related to official business. Arguably though,

>since his $400K salary is taxpayer money it could be asserted

>that we are paying the freight for his mother-in-law. LOL

What about her room or in all probability her suite? Do they issue a rent cheque for that too? And there are probably lots of other perks that we can't even imagine.

Hey, it's not coming out of my pocket - just thought I'd ask.

Louis Howe, special advisor to Franklin Delano Roosevelt, moved into the WH after 1933 and lived in the family quarters until he died in 1936. Howe was the mastermind behind most of FDR's political initiatives in the early days of the Administration. He was criticized by the press for having undue influence over FDR because of this arrangement. It's not been uncommon for family and various people to take up residence along with the First Family.

I think it’s a very nice situation to have three generations of the Obama family living in the White House. It harkens back to a time when families stayed together under one roof instead of packing the old people off to retirement communities. Michelle Obama will be a very active First Lady, having her mother around will provide a good balance for the daughters.

The family quarters at the White House are traditionally at the disposal of the first family. Many relatives of presidents have lived there for extended periods of time. It's totally fitting and not an abuse of any sort. After all, due to security concerns the president and his immediate family have to live within a secure setting, and I don't see any good reason why this means they can't have extended visits with relatives, just as one might do in one's private home.

Another thing to consider here is that Mrs. Robinson has played a major role in taking care of the Obama daughters during the past two years of the campaign. Michelle Obama is actually going to have significant duties as First Lady in terms of the running of the White House and the social functions of the presidency, and it seems like a good idea for her mother to be there to help out with the kids while she is occupied on the nation's business.

This thread seems to have veered off the original post's subject but what the heck, didn't Harry Truman's mother-in-law spend extended periods at the White House? And while someone mentioned Louis Howe living at the White House during FDR's tenure, I thought Harry Hopkins also lived there during the war when he served as FDR's chief foreign affairs aide. I could be wrong but I'm too lazy to go look it up in my vast library. ;-)

>This thread seems to have veered off the original post's

>subject but what the heck, didn't Harry Truman's mother-in-law

>spend extended periods at the White House?

Yes, Truman's mother-in-law did live with them in the WH at various times. In true mother-in-law fashion she never thought Harry was "good enough" for her daughter even after he won election to his own full term. Maybe that's why he referred to the WH as a "glamorous prison". :) Truman also called it the "great white sepulcher of ambitions" as well as "the taxpayer's house."

>And while someone mentioned Louis Howe living at the White House during FDR's

>tenure, I thought Harry Hopkins also lived there during the

>war when he served as FDR's chief foreign affairs aide. I

>could be wrong but I'm too lazy to go look it up in my vast

>library. ;-)

FDR had a tendency to keep his most trusted aides closest to him so they would be at his beckon call. Howe died before the end of the first term. Hopkins no doubt likely moved into the WH at some point.

After I posted I checked on Google and sure enough Harry Hopkins lived in the WH for a number of years during the war. It also reminded me what a b**ch Harry T's mother-in-law was, constantly carping about his policies and decisions.

What I didn't know was that Eisenhowers's mother-in-law also spent time living at the WH, staying in bed all day, smoking and cussing Mamie. No wonder Mamie drank!!! :o

I quite understand why presidents feel entitled to keep those who are close to them (like em or not) at the WH. It is an unreal world for a family and why would we begrudge them this perk?

Archived