Ghosts

purplekow

New guilty pleasure although I am not sure why I should be guilty about having pleasure but that is a different and philosophic discussion.  

Ghost on CBS has been a fun watch.  Basic premise is the young couple inherits an old mansion and are going to change it in a B and B.  The young lady falls and strikes her head and obtains the power to see and speak with ghosts.   If seems that not all of the people who die get 

"cooked off".   Some, for reasons unknown, remain tethered to the place that they died.   So there are several, I believe 8 ghosts who inhabit the upper portion of the house.  A Viking, A Lenape Indian, A fey American Soldier from the Revolutionary War, A Victorian Lady whose house this was and who is the great-aunt of the woman, A sassy jazz singer from the 20s, a Boy Scout leader killed by a stray arrow from one of his pack, A hippie woman who has robbed a bank, and a pantless eighties swinger.   Each of the ghosts has learned things from the others but each maintains a sensibility of their own time.   There are also a large group of ghosts in the basement who died of cholera and the basement was being used as a triage area.   Several other ghosts have appeared.  

In any case, if you are not watching this, try and sample it.  Pretty much a standard sit com but with enough of a twist to keep it from getting trite.  

I caught up this evening, it's nice light fun. It's funny and pretty wholesome overall.

My only gripe is it's almost a 1:1 adaptation of the British show.  The setup is nearly the exactly the same.  Most of the ghost characters were pretty just Americanized versions of the originals (closeted gay officer, pantsless 80s dude, scoutmaster with an arrow in his neck, ...). The ones they did change like the native American ghost are some of the better choices.  The "living" couple on the American version are a bit more likeable, too.

The British version is available on HBO Max.

Edited by DynamicUno

On 11/12/2021 at 12:42 AM, purplekow said:

Ghost on CBS has been a fun watch. 

On 11/15/2021 at 8:31 PM, harlow said:

I've been watching it as well.  Its actually a pretty decent show.

On 11/17/2021 at 12:07 AM, DynamicUno said:

I caught up this evening, it's nice light fun.

I kept hearing that it's decent, but nothing special.  I binged all 8 episodes last night.  (Thursday night is my big TV night--  8-11 on both NBC & ABC-- but I wait until the next day or two to watch with limited or no commercials and GHOSTS has none on Paramount+).  No, I didn't find it particularly funny, but I like the couple and most of the ghosts.

53 minutes ago, samhexum said:

I kept hearing that it's decent, but nothing special.  I binged all 8 episodes last night.  (Thursday night is my big TV night--  8-11 on both NBC & ABC-- but I wait until the next day or two to watch with limited or no commercials and GHOSTS has none on Paramount+).  No, I didn't find it particularly funny, but I like the couple and most of the ghosts.

It’s a time filler for sure and not must see tv. Just something to have on while you do laundry. Lol

I agree it is not appointment TV if there is such a thing anymore.  When I sit down after a long day and realize it is on, I feel like I will be entertained for 1/2 hour.  No laugh out loud moments, but it is amusing and the characters alive and dead are likeable.  Its a nice mindless piece of entertainment.  I am wondering if any of the ghosts will be "sucked off" and whether they think of that as a good think or a bad thing.   What is it they need to do to get out of limbo and do they really want to do so.  

Did not realize there was a British version.  Will try and find it.  

• 2 months later...

New guilty pleasure although I am not sure why I should be guilty about having pleasure

Are you Jewish or Catholic?  And should this answer go in the politics/religion section?

My only gripe is it's almost a 1:1 adaptation of the British show.  The setup is nearly the exactly the same.  Most of the ghost characters were pretty just Americanized versions of the originals (closeted gay officer, pantsless 80s dude, scoutmaster with an arrow in his neck, ...). The ones they did change like the native American ghost are some of the better choices.  The "living" couple on the American version are a bit more likeable, too.

I agree with this, though I'd add that there's eye candy in the US version.  Trevor's quite handsome, Sass is cute, and Thorfinn has a hot body (see gifs below).  The British military man is more attractive than Isaac, but I wouldn't call him eye candy.  I'd rate Jay/Mike about equal.

And some ghosts seem to be amalgams of 2 ghosts from across the pond...  Trevor is the pantsless disgraced politician combined with the Shakesperean actor/writer who has the hots for the wife.  Kitty is a black woman in 20s garb with Flower's sunny disposition, although from innocence/stupidity rather than drugs (she doesn't even know where babies come from).  In the US version, Jay creates a hole in Hetty's bedroom wall, horrifying her because Flower's on the other side & won't shut up.  In the Brit version, it's Kitty on the other side.

Hetty is funnier than her British counterpart, as is Thorfinn, whose counterpart appears to be a caveman (I wonder if he ever winds up doing GEICO commercials). 

The headless one is used more in the Brit version (he's barely been seen in the US version, though supposedly he'll be seen again in the final episodes of the season).

On 11/19/2021 at 12:01 PM, purplekow said:

Did not realize there was a British version.  Will try and find it.  

It's on HBOMax.  I watched the first 3 episodes, and I prefer the US version.  I like the wife (Allison) just fine, and the husband (Mike) hasn't really had much to do yet, but the US ghosts are just better characters, at least so far.  I don't think I'll be continuing.  The storyline with Pat's (Pete's) wife took up only a couple of minutes, not most of the episode as it did in the US version.  I thought the US version of that storyline was much more enjoyable.

THORFIN IN A WARMER CLIMATE:

devan long | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir  Mechadude2001: Now Apocalypse: Devan Long

IT'S THE 2ND-MOST-WATCHED COMEDY ON NETWORK TV THIS SEASON, BEHIND YOUNG SHELDON.  Since British TV does 6-episode seasons, the Brits haven't even opened their B&B yet after 3 seasons.  The American version will open theirs by the end of the 1st season.  I think Demi Moore & The Whoopster should be targeted guest stars.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

New guilty pleasure although I am not sure why I should be guilty about having pleasure but that is a different and philosophic discussion.  

Ghost on CBS has been a fun watch.  Basic premise is the young couple inherits an old mansion and are going to change it in a B and B.  The young lady falls and strikes her head and obtains the power to see and speak with ghosts.   If seems that not all of the people who die get 

"cooked off".   Some, for reasons unknown, remain tethered to the place that they died.   So there are several, I believe 8 ghosts who inhabit the upper portion of the house.  A Viking, A Lenape Indian, A fey American Soldier from the Revolutionary War, A Victorian Lady whose house this was and who is the great-aunt of the woman, A sassy jazz singer from the 20s, a Boy Scout leader killed by a stray arrow from one of his pack, A hippie woman who has robbed a bank, and a pantless eighties swinger.   Each of the ghosts has learned things from the others but each maintains a sensibility of their own time.   There are also a large group of ghosts in the basement who died of cholera and the basement was being used as a triage area.   Several other ghosts have appeared.  

In any case, if you are not watching this, try and sample it.  Pretty much a standard sit com but with enough of a twist to keep it from getting trite.  

I caught up this evening, it's nice light fun. It's funny and pretty wholesome overall.

On 2/16/2022 at 6:52 PM, handiacefailure said:

Been watching it also.   Loved the lady who plays Hettie when she was in devious maids.  

I thought last night's episode was the best yet. BTW, Sass' dad was played by Sass' dad.

Edited by samhexum
just for the hell of it

• 1 month later...

Been watching it also.   Loved the lady who plays Hettie when she was in devious maids.  

Considering that the show kept getting better for most of the season, the last 2 episodes were disappointing.

The best episode was the one about Trevor's pants and second-best was Sass' story.

• 4 months later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

The actress who plays Jay's sister on GHOSTS plays his widow in this.  Utkarsh Ambudkar raps, btw.

* Disney+ has released a trailer for World’s Best, a hip-hop musical comedy co-written by and starring Utkarsh Ambudkar (Ghosts), who also co-wrote the film’s original songs. The movie premiere Friday, June 23.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...