Prop 8 Donor Boycott

RockHard
This topic is 5611 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I'm sure everyone has received the national boycott email that's spreading like wildfire. If you haven't, here's a list of companies to boycott if you wish to send a message to those supporting the Mormon's investment in this issue.

STOP GIVING THESE COMPANIES YOUR MONEY!

Kroger foods (Ralph's and Albertsons)

NPS Pharmaceuticals

American Express

NuSkin

Affiliated computer services

Oil States International

AES corp.

Oakley

Avista corp.

Priceline.com

Black and Decker

Phelps Dodge Corp.

Cadence Design

Ryder Systems (Ryder trucks)

Corvis

Sky West Airlines

Central Pacific Bank

Swift Transportation

1-80O-Contacts

Cornerstone Realty Income Trust Inc.

Cygnus Inc.

Tropical Sportswear

Diebold

Williams Companies Inc.

Dell Computer

Zions Securities Corp

Dionex

K-BIG FM radio Los Angeles

Downey Savings and Loan

AgReserves lnc. (agriculture)

EarthShell

Sunrider Int'l.

Franklin Covey

Latham and Watkins

Hillenbrand Industries

Huntsman Chemical

Headwaters Inc.

Bain Capital

Hollywood Entertainment(Hollywood video)

Spectra

Host Marriott (Marriott hotels and resorts)

Jet Blue

lomega

Azul

JP Realty

Deloitte Touche

Key Corp.

Zions Securities Corp.

Knight Transportation

Bonneville comm.

K-Swiss lnc.

Telefonica Brasil

La Quinta Properties (t-a Quinta hotels)

Apx Alarm

Micrel Semiconductor

Micro General

Merit Medical Systems

Monaco Coach

Microsemi Corp.

Myriad Genetics

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If even once ounce of time, money, and attention was spent on trying to educate people about gay rights and trying to change hearts and minds that is being spent on all this boycotting, protesting, etc. it would make all the difference in the world.

All of this kind of stuff is completely ridiculous and silly. This isn't the way that will lead to acceptance. This is the way to lead to more division and to more hate.

The stupidity of people sometimes amazes me.

Guest andrewd

HEY!! Have ya' heard of the civil rights movement? How do you think change happens? If it's not for you, fine, but please don't belittle of berate those of us who have a voice and want to have it be heard. You choose your way, and let the rest of the world chose theirs.

By the way, here is the definition of the word civil:not rude; marked by satisfactory (or especially minimal) adherence to social usages and sufficient but not noteworthy consideration for others; "even if he didn't like them he should have been civil"- W.S. Maugham

And the definition of civility: politeness: the act of showing regard for others

Please practice some civility when expressing your opinions; as the constitution affords you the right to do along with every American cititzen.

Thank you.

>If even once ounce of time, money, and attention was spent on

>trying to educate people about gay rights and trying to change

>hearts and minds that is being spent on all this boycotting,

>protesting, etc. it would make all the difference in the

>world.

>

>All of this kind of stuff is completely ridiculous and silly.

>This isn't the way that will lead to acceptance. This is the

>way to lead to more division and to more hate.

>

>The stupidity of people sometimes amazes me.

You are such a mean spirited person. All of your comments degenerate into name calling. Why not engage in a civil disagreement? Perhaps show some respect for other posters. People are outraged about prop 8. Boycotting worked during the Civil Rights struggle in the 60's and it might work again. Never in the history of our country have the rights of minorities been granted by the wishes of the majority. We have a system that is devised to protect minority rights. That system includes the courts and the legislature which traditionally has been the only way that minorities have gained their rights. Brown vs the Board of Education, the Voting Rights Act, the Civil Rights act. If we had waited for the majority of the population to vote against interracial marriage it might still be illegal today.

The irony of all this is that you and your fictional boyfriend were going to Carmel (of all places) so that you could get married.

As I've stated in posts before, I think you write some of the things you do simply to agitate and if that's the case you are quite successful. I find your responses narrow, bigoted and most of all shallow. The name calling is like a grade school bully. You've become the Roy Cohn of this community which you may mistakenly take as a compliment.

To the person who posted the companies that backed Prop 8, I thank you.

>And the definition of civility: politeness: the act of showing

>regard for others

>

>Please practice some civility when expressing your opinions as

>the constitution affords you the right to do along with every

>American cititzen.

Don't waste your time explaining civility to people on this board -- it's a dead horse to be beaten.

There are so many things to be done right now ranging from protesting and boycotting to make our presence known. Today is "a day without a gay" in which people are being asked to call in sick to work. This weekend there will be national protests.

I've personally organized a fund raiser at Numbers on Monday night next week here in West Hollywood to replenish the resources expended by the gay organizations like GLAAD, Lambda Legal, and countless others during the fight.

5 - 8 PM they will be donating 25% of all drink proceeds and 8 till midnight they will be donation 10% of all food/drink. There are DJ's and gogo boys donating their time and working probono to do their part for this event.

I encourage anyone here that is local to have dinner and ogle boys for a good cause next week!

Meanwhile, do what you can. If you don't feel comfortable doing something don't do it but certainly don't condemn someone fighting for their rights especially ones that you could benefit from.

RE: Prop 8 Donor Boycott, there is power in numbers.

"All of this kind of stuff is completely ridiculous and silly. This isn't the way that will lead to acceptance. This is the way to lead to more division and to more hate."

I'm not a huge fan of fighting fire with fire but sometimes, as they know on the West Coast, you have to. The "acceptance" ship has sailed. Now it's about the power of money and influence. I see this going to the Supreme Court and why the hell not. This is what you get when money and religious influence tries to pit one way of thinking against another.

"The stupidity of people sometimes amazes me."

Unfortunately, that ship has also sailed centuries ago. Money talks now and it has proven to be much stronger that mere stupidity. Staying passive and waiting seems futile, especially when these laws are affecting senior citizens in Florida.

"Don't waste your time explaining civility to people on this board"

I would have said "some" people. There are plenty of folks here who do just fine.

Guest n2colour

Most of the companies on your boycott list did not advocate a "Yes" vote on Proposition 8. Are you seriously advocating a boycott of these companies because a few employees out of thousands (in some case tens of thousands) donated money to Yes on 8?

No of course not (on my end) and that is a very interesting point to bring up. There are boycotts going on left and right here in Los Angeles but there has to be a degree of research to it. If it's just an employee of course not -- a high ranking manager or owner, that might be another story.

Current debate here is El Coyote, a long standing gay hot spot for Mexican Food and great drinks:

http://shutupiknow.blogspot.com/2008/11/el-coyote-prop-8-press-conference-w.html

She has no remorse for what she's done but the fact still stands that her money is being funneled into endeavors against us. The question becomes whether or not punishing the many for the mistakes of the few. Will the many help the few reconsider in the future? Is that overkill?

Nobody is forcing anyone to boycott but you can't be upset with them for making informed choices.

>All of your comments degenerate into name calling.

>You've become the Roy Cohn of this community which you

>may mistakenly take as a compliment.

was there criticism of name calling right before the name calling?

It's not my boycott. I'm just the messenger.

I have nothing to do with the list and/or the headline "Stop Giving These Companies Your Money." I should have made this clearer but I copied all you see from the email I received.

This list came from several notable sources here in NYC. Not one to drop names but my email address is on a leading list which includes powerful, prominent gay New Yorkers. But I have no idea how it came to be. None of my money goes to any of these companies so, for me, this is easy.

I also got notice of the protest tonight organized by Michael Signorile at the Morman Temple at Columbus Ave and 65th St. I also heard from Justin Bond who will be there with a large group.

It's not my boycott. I'm just the messenger.

I have nothing to do with the list and/or the headline "Stop Giving These Companies Your Money." I should have made this clearer but I copied all you see from the email I received.

This list came from several notable sources here in NYC. Not one to drop names but my email address is on a leading list which includes powerful, prominent gay New Yorkers. But I have no idea how it came to be. None of my money goes to any of these companies so, for me, this is easy.

I also got notice of the protest tonight organized by Michael Signorile at the Morman Temple at Columbus Ave and 65th St. I also heard from Justin Bond who will be there with a large group.

RE: It's not my boycott. I'm just the messenger.

>Not

>one to drop names but my email address is on a leading list

>which includes powerful, prominent gay New Yorkers.

This is up there with the message center's best lines of all time, but "I'm currently working on three film projects" is still the reigning champ. :p

RE: It's not my boycott. I'm just the messenger.

>Not

>one to drop names but my email address is on a leading list

>which includes powerful, prominent gay New Yorkers.

This is up there with the message center's best lines of all time, but "I'm currently working on three film projects" is still the reigning champ. :p

RE: Best this.

I love contributing to the "best of" lists.

"Not one to drop names" was meant to ignite a chuckle or at least a dropped jaw. I simply adore dropping names, about as much as Adler loves Prada. (I don't like overusing smiley faces like some posters. :-) ) As for my address book...SCANDALOUS!

Archived