Firebird (2021, Estonia/UK)

E.T.Bass

Firebird  (2021, Estonia/UK) set in the Soviet Union during the Cold War, is screening at Outfest 2021 here in LA.  This year you can stream the films during a limited window of time for each.    

Firebird  screened at the Moscow International Film Festival earlier this year.  I am curious how such a film is being received there.  The movie is based on Sergey Fetisov’s memoir about Roman, the fighter pilot Fetisov fell in love with.

It seems this was a passion project by those that became aware of the memoir.  I would love to read it.   

This is a modest budget indie movie.  It's good.

spacer.png

• 1 month later...

I just saw friend's post about this on NYC's newfest. The actors look gorgeous. I just bought the ticket for the virtual stream. Looking forward to watching this. I saw in an online interview that protestors shut down the screening of the film in Moscow. Anyhow, we can all purchase the link here to watch  it:

https://newfest.org/

trailer: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4061620/

Edited by cany10011

• 2 weeks later...

I attended the festival and watched the movie at the SVA Theatre in Chelsea. As a lover of slavic men, I can tell you the lead actor that plays Roman who is ukrainian is very handsome , met him in person at the screening. The story is just beautiful.  Its not about being gay, its not about the men, its about love.

Highly recommend 

The movie made me question :  It is better to have never found such love or to have found it and lost it forever ?

Sergei never found another man like Roman again in his lifetime , and the memoir which i read parts of , it’s evident that he struggles with the question also . Roman haunts him in his sleep years later - something the movie does not touch. 

I am hopeful I find someone like Roman in my lifetime . Still searching 

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I finally watched Firebird the other night and didn't much like it. Sure, Sergey is cute, but I didn't get the attraction to Roman. Closeted men with wives often have difficult situations. In this case, it appeared as if Roman loved his job more than he loved anyone. Maybe I would like the book better.

13 hours ago, Lucky said:

I finally watched Firebird the other night and didn't much like it. Sure, Sergey is cute, but I didn't get the attraction to Roman. Closeted men with wives often have difficult situations. In this case, it appeared as if Roman loved his job more than he loved anyone. Maybe I would like the book better.

Thanks for the review.  I decided against renting Firebird because I didn't want to pay the $5.99 rental just to get all depressed, even if the two leads are eye-poppingly handsome.  On the other hand, the video of Tom Prior (Sergey) and his beefcake photoshoot put quite a bounce in my step, plus it's free!