Line and Paragraph Spacing

nycman
This topic is 1011 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Ok, so I’m a little OCD about the "visual" appeal of my posts.

I like to determine where my "returns" are and the spacing between lines and paragraphs.

The software seems to try do the spacing between lines and paragraphs for me. 
Sometimes it’s like this and there’s no space.

Sometimes it’s like this and there’s a space. 

I can play with it and eventually "trick it" into doing the spacing I want, but there must be a logic that I just don’t understand.

‘While we’re on the topic, when I start a new line it often places a ‘ before the first word for no reason like it did on this line.

I usually post from an iPad if that makes a difference.

Sorry for my technical ignorance.

Edited by nycman

I've noticed this on iPhones as well.  Apple is not consistent in how the return key is treated.  If you are having problems with it adding an extra line break...  try pressing SHIFT at the same time as you tap Enter.  

12 hours ago, nycman said:

Ok, so I’m a little OCD about the "visual" appeal of my posts.

I like to determine where my "returns" are and the spacing between lines and paragraphs.

The software seems to try do the spacing between lines and paragraphs for me. 
Sometimes it’s like this and there’s no space.

Sometimes it’s like this and there’s a space. 

I can play with it and eventually "trick it" into doing the spacing I want, but there must be a logic that I just don’t understand.

‘While we’re on the topic, when I start a new line it often places a ‘ before the first word for no reason like it did on this line.

I usually post from an iPad if that makes a difference.

Sorry for my technical ignorance.

oooh, my close friend from college is very similar about lines and spacing. did u also use to have that function on in Word where you have all the dots to see how many spaces you have in between words?

I had noticed that the spacing is different than it was in the old system, but it's symptomatic of a feature that often comes up in MS Word styles. That is, lines are single spaced but paragraphs build in a half or full line spacing after the text of the paragraph. When it was in a Word document I knew enough about it to either let it do its thing or to make sure that all the vertical spacing was done with line spacing rather than clear space after a paragraph. It's possible that I could do that here, but for the most part if it looks right in the input box it will look right when it's posted. (In Word, I used to always work with the formatting symbols turned on so I knew what it was doing.)