Following/Followers

RJD
This topic is 1051 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

@RadioRobDid the members who we followed and followed us get carried over to the new platform?  My profile shows one follower who wasn’t following me before the migration and none of the members I followed appear in my profile.  

Sorry if this was asked already.  I searched “follow” and “follower” in all content over the past week and nothing relevant appeared. 

Thanks! 

9 minutes ago, RadioRob said:

I don’t believe Followers came over unfortunately. I did not even think to test it in the initial beta site honestly. But in checking mine, it looks like it did not carry over. 

I just looked at your profile and it shows you have two followers.

~Boomer~

26 minutes ago, RJD said:

Sorry if this was asked already.  I searched “follow” and “follower” in all content over the past week and nothing relevant appeared. 

24 minutes ago, RadioRob said:

I don’t believe Followers came over unfortunately. I did not even think to test it in the initial beta site honestly. But in checking mine, it looks like it did not carry over. 

13 minutes ago, BabyBoomer said:

I just looked at your profile and it shows you have two followers.

~Boomer~

But it is possible that those two followers made their choice *after* the conversion.

1 hour ago, RJD said:

Dana Carvey Nbc GIF

Wonder what would cause it to work for some but not others?  

It would depend on when the followers were added. I’m working on a bug where some recent posts did not show up properly also. 

8 hours ago, RadioRob said:

It would depend on when the followers were added. I’m working on a bug where some recent posts did not show up properly also. 

Mine were all added well before the conversion, if that helps you troubleshoot. Not a big deal, just thought it was weird that some members’ lists carried over and others didn’t. 

Related to the subject, when I first became involved with the board, I saw the "follow" feature and assumed that by following or being followed, that those members' contributions would be highlighted as they occurred...like other social media. I can't really tell that there's much to "following" on this platform outside of an initial notification that you have a follower, and/or that they are interested and/or appreciate your contributions and/or his ass or torso in some cases 😜

I do wish that that feature provided additional value. I haven't paid it much attention once I came to the conclusion that there wasn't much to it. 

EDIT: It currently says you'll be notified when those you follow post content, but I have to say that has never occurred for anyone I followed specifically. Perhaps that changed with the new platform? If so, that would make the feature more worthwhile. 

Edited by HotWhiteThirties

I also never saw any advantage in choosing to "follow" others here in the forum......never got notifications, special announcements, pats on the back, birthday wishes, or a coffee date out of it......however, if somebody suddenly started following me (bless you, Gen Zers), I felt obligated to follow them back.......  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/8/2021 at 6:07 PM, azdr0710 said:

I also never saw any advantage in choosing to "follow" others here in the forum......never got notifications, special announcements, pats on the back, birthday wishes, or a coffee date out of it......however, if somebody suddenly started following me (bless you, Gen Zers), I felt obligated to follow them back.......  

I just checked and I have been following you for some time...  Wink, wink...

Now, I changed some settings a while back and I have been receiving notifications every time @marylander1940 posts in the forums; however, don't ask me exactly which settings accomplish that... LOL!

6 minutes ago, easygoingpal said:

I just checked and I have been following you for some time...  Wink, wink...

Now, I changed some settings a while back and I have been receiving notifications every time @marylander1940 posts in the forums; however, don't ask me exactly which settings accomplish that... LOL!

https://www.companyofmen.org/notifications/options/

Under Followed Content is a section for Followed Members. You can chose to receive notifications or emails when a person you follow posts somewhere. 

5 minutes ago, RadioRob said:

https://www.companyofmen.org/notifications/options/

Under Followed Content is a section for Followed Members. You can chose to receive notifications or emails when a person you follow posts somewhere. 

RR, question: Under Followed Content (below image), how do I access the "Notification List"?  It seems that I mostly receive notifications whenever @marylander1940 posts, but not from other members I am following...  Thanks in advance as always!

image.thumb.png.946f6f042f17d99e6ddd85cc88108f88.png

7 minutes ago, RadioRob said:

https://www.companyofmen.org/notifications/

If you’re not receiving notifications for specific followed people, try unfollowing and then following them again. 

If they were added before your preferences were set to notify, it might still have them specially followed but not notified. 

RR: Here's a suggestion for the FAQ...  It would be great to have a better understanding of the below area...  Eternally grateful for all your support!!!

https://www.companyofmen.org/followed/

image.thumb.png.8940c62cc15bfbef68821f8ee3832573.png