NOTIFICATIONS

jjkrkwood
This topic is 1090 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This is just a thought after using the New site version for a couple days.    I enjoy ALL the new features and ease of use....  Everything is simple to incorporate if its New....   SEARCH is wonderful  (so far)

The one thing missing (for me) is when Notifications of reactions to posts are received, WHAT that reaction IS,  simlpy because if someone was offended or hurled a bomb at you, it gives you the opportunity to Respond or rectify, since we normally dont check every post we make.

A suggestion for posters, especially in The Gallery,  if you are an OP and have posted something that now have a big TUMBLR ban banner in place of your post,  it would benefit EVERYONE if you would simply DELETE it.....    I have noticed many in my thread and have done so.   no need to clutter up the forums with posts that are basically useless now.

2 hours ago, Just966 said:

Yes definitely nice to know if a comment has been made as well which from what I can see is no longer available.

They fixed something because I just got a notification about your above post...

5 hours ago, lanyc said:

They fixed something because I just got a notification about your above post...

Yes you will get Notifications, but it will only tell you WHO either reacted or quoted "your" post,  but it does not tell you WHAT the reaction was, as it did before, ie Like, Love, applause, Meh, Bomb etc......  Those reactions were nice to know as it was helpful in adjusting future posts, or possibly making amends for a post that proved offensive or disliked by some.   The only way to know WHAT the reaction is now, is to click on the notification and actually GO to the post. 

For me, that is the ONLY old feature that I miss.  

5 hours ago, jjkrkwood said:

Yes you will get Notifications, but it will only tell you WHO either reacted or quoted "your" post,  but it does not tell you WHAT the reaction was, as it did before, ie Like, Love, applause, Meh, Bomb etc......  Those reactions were nice to know as it was helpful in adjusting future posts, or possibly making amends for a post that proved offensive or disliked by some.   The only way to know WHAT the reaction is now, is to click on the notification and actually GO to the post. 

For me, that is the ONLY old feature that I miss.  

Yes that is definitely what I miss as well and when previously it indicated that they quoted your comment or made a comment on your post vs just clicking on one of the choices.

Just now, Just966 said:

Yes that is definitely what I miss as well and when previously it indicated that they quoted your comment or made a comment on your post vs just clicking on one of the choices.

Actually just took another look and does let you know when some quotes you - my error🤐

22 hours ago, AshburyGuy said:

I'm not getting any notifications at all. For example, I follow the "Silver Foxes and DILFs" thread and used to get notifications of new postings but it no longer alerts me when there are new posts.

I had the same problem and @radiorob helped. Open the "Silver Foxes..." thread and at the top on the right you'll see "Follow", click on that and it opens a menu on how you want to be notified, and then be sure to click on the "Follow" at the bottom of that menu. It works for any thread in any forum.

@radiorob also sent this to me:

Notifications can be configured at:

https://www.companyofmen.org/notifications/options/

You can choose what you receive notifications for and if it's via the notification system or if it's via email.  Notifications will work for anything generated through Invision.  Meaning old notifications won't carry over, but as you get replies and send messages you'll start getting notifications for anything "new".  

I was surprised to find a response to a PM in my gmail account and had to change that notification setting!

Edited by Autumnal

One thing I've noticed...  when choosing how you want to be notified, you have to have your settings JUST RIGHT.  Meaning... if notifications on followed content is not working for you, you're most likely missing a setting.  Here's how you want this to look if you want to receive notifications of new replies to threads you reply in or start:

Screen Shot 2021-05-26 at 11.55.55 AM.png

The critical piece here is having the "A notification when new content is posted" radiobox selected.  

The DEFAULT value is "do not send me notifications", so even if you check the options to automatically follow content, unless you also choose to have a notification sent, nothing will happen.  You're following content, but not going to have an action actually trigger.  

This is super easy to miss, and to be honest...  it was a mistake I made myself!  I spent a few days looking at database calls asking myself why this was not working until I finally went back from the start looking through the user settings again.