What was one advice you wish you did not take?

MysticMenace
This topic is 1051 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As well-intentioned certain pieces of advice are from family, friends, co-workers, and to some, acquaintances, they may or may not work for you.

For me, I wished I had done more research on the culture of the department I moved to (my current job) instead of just trusting my friend's word (who had moved to the same company a month before) that the opportunity would be a lot better than the previous job we had at the employer we used to work at. She ended up leaving the new job in less than a year, and now I am realizing I am too cautious and worried to commit the same mistake I had made 4 years ago going to another place I would think as greener pasture but might actually end up just as horrible or even worse than my current situation.

I was advised not to read threads started by @JoeMendoza . Can you believe it? But I soon regretted not reading them when I saw the excitement that others had when they read them. Now my mind is stimulated with the deep questions and surprising findings of Joe's threads! As for the guy who told me to ignore them, I am now ignoring him!;)

As well-intentioned certain pieces of advice are from family, friends, co-workers, and to some, acquaintances, they may or may not work for you.

For me, I wished I had done more research on the culture of the department I moved to (my current job) instead of just trusting my friend's word (who had moved to the same company a month before) that the opportunity would be a lot better than the previous job we had at the employer we used to work at. She ended up leaving the new job in less than a year, and now I am realizing I am too cautious and worried to commit the same mistake I had made 4 years ago going to another place I would think as greener pasture but might actually end up just as horrible or even worse than my current situation.

Whoa well I hope you at least got a salary raise when you moved companies!

I've found it's quite hard to really get a sense of company culture until you're actually working there for at least 3 months. Your friend may still have been in the 'honeymoon' phase with that new company and if she was the one who recommended you to the company, she may have gotten a referral bonus.

Don't prioritize salary over culture. Tone at the top in any organization matters most. Is the person who runs the place someone whose morals and intellect are worthy of your time?

Oh the CEO is amazing, but unfortunately I do not work directly for him. There are those organizations where you believe the vision and mission of the organization, but in individual departments you work with, the sub-culture might not all be aligned with the enterprise.

Whoa well I hope you at least got a salary raise when you moved companies!

I've found it's quite hard to really get a sense of company culture until you're actually working there for at least 3 months. Your friend may still have been in the 'honeymoon' phase with that new company and if she was the one who recommended you to the company, she may have gotten a referral bonus.

That's the thing - in my first organization, it's not like I have not had interviews with other organizations, but there was always something that turned me off about the company I'm interviewing at some point during the interview process, so I would either end up not accepting the offer or discontinue with the next set of interviews. Through time I started to doubt myself whether I was just being too picky or if I needed to re-adjust my non-negotiable. Maybe I should have stuck with my intuition from the beginning.

Oh the CEO is amazing, but unfortunately I do not work directly for him. There are those organizations where you believe the vision and mission of the organization, but in individual departments you work with, the sub-culture might not all be aligned with the enterprise.

At times the reverse can also be the case. I've worked in organizations where the immediate work environment was pleasant and productive, but the blundering bozos at the top ruined it for everyone.

I'm not sure that I totally regret my decisions based on someone's advice. The mistakes have shaped the person I am today, dwelling on the past isn't always a good thing. Thinking what could have been or should have been has no bearing on what is happening today.

I've had a friend recommend a job and she quit about a month after I started working there. I was a little pissed about it but my experience at that job helped me to become a better person and I made a couple of cool friends while I was there. I eventually left that position because they weren't giving me a salary I thought was worthy of my skill, even after I got a license that justified much more pay.

I ran into my friend a few years later at the gym and she was telling me that the job she left for was a huge mistake and that the place closed down and left her in a situation that way more stressful than she could've imagined.

So I recommended the place I work at...a federal position with amazing bennys and a pension but she never did take me up on my offer. I told her I would even guide her through the application process and suggest her for an interview with people that I know.

I guess the old saying is true "You can lead a horse to water......"

“Trust me, it won’t hurt, and it doesn’t feel that big once it’s in”

“It tastes just like pineapples - just try it”

?????

Seriously tho, while I work hard to not have regrets as I view them as wasted effort, energy - I do wonder what if on occasion. For example, I wonder what if I had not followed advice I received when offered a good job with great bennies in Sydney. It was enough years ago that I was young enough that if it didn’t work out, I could have bounced back. But then again, if I had taken it, I never would have managed to get the position I have now. So yeah, boo on regrets! ?

"Sure, it'll be OK to move all your retirement stuff over to us, won't be any issue!" As I relocated to Portland in the late 90's and started a new job at Portland General Electric. " It's part of Enron, you know, you'll be making beaucoup bucks on that, and besides, what could go wrong?"

Guest Justin7402

"Never invest money in one specific company, always do mutual funds"

Probably good advice from my father, but at the time I was looking to put money in apple shortly before the first iphone came out.