HDTV Question

Doe Be Doe
This topic is 5715 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've had HDTV for a few months now. Is it normal for there to be a longer than normal pause when changing channels? And, is normal for the new channel to appear for a milisecond, then have the screen go blank for a milisecond and only then does the new channel appear?

Also is there a good internet forum for discussing TVs, stereos, etc.?

Thanks.

That is what mine does. Very irritating when switching from HD to Digital (only) and vice versa.

I am sure there are good sites for info but I don't know any.

I would recommend an extended warranty for your TV. My HD is less than 2 years old and I had a repair recently. The repair folks told me they see a LOT more repairs on HD TV's than others. They said it doesn't matter whether you have DLP, Plasma or any thing else; still lots more frequent repairs. I know you didn't want to hear that and my mini survey is certainly not conclusive.

Best regards,

KMEM

I don't think the pause is a function of your TV, rather I think it is a function of your service provider. When I received "broadcast only" service via Cox cable, which used my TV's tuner to switch between channels, there was virtually no pause when switching between an HD channel and a standard channel. When I switched to full-on digital cable and used a set-top box as the tuner there was a noticeable pause when I changed between any channels. Now that I have satellite the pause is even longer.

It wasn't normal until Time-Warner did their new digital change, and now the channel has to "load" before the picture comes on. It used to just be there when we got there.

BTW, I have an old Phillips HDTV, which I love, a newer Sharp Acquos LCD TV, and a Panasonic plasma tv. Of them all, the Sharp gives the best picture.

Archived