Olympics...opening night ceremonies

foxy
This topic is 5289 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Leaving aside all the bad press leading up to the Olympics, I thought the opening ceremonies were staggering. I half regret not going out to buy a huge HD tv to watch it on. I tried tuning out the inane voice-over which wasn't easy. Maybe there will be DVD version to buy. It was like Busby Berkley on steriods and acid. Just goes to show what you can do with several billion dollars and several thousand performers who know how to follow orders.

Those drummers....yikes!

HD is definitely the way to go. It looks like every event is also being shot in HD which is awesome. And NBC has several HD channels including USAHD, UniversalHD, every basketball and soccer match on their own HD channels, and of course regular NBCHD.

You can also watch most events on the NBCOlympics.com website. Those broadcasts are the raw live feed with no commentary which takes some getting used to. I watched team handball, field hockey, and men's weightlifting last night.

I have to say I was blown away by the opening ceremony (something not easily accomplished given my jaded nature having spent most of my life on a career in entertainment). I don't know that there are words to adequately describe what I saw or the impact it had. I am sure there are some isolationists or political types that will jump all over the presentation and declare that China proved such and such (fill in your own criticism here) but politics aside, from a purely artistic point of view, this production was remarkable. Those who saw it, please forgive my inability to do it justice in words. The footprint theme which started the production and carried on throughout was handled in the most creative way subtly calling our attention to what has been "written" IN history and asking what prints are we leaving ON history.

Wonderful.

And yes, I saw it on a large screen HD plasma TV and recorded it on my HD DVR. I spent today watching it for the third time, still catching things I missed the first two times.

Yesterday a couple of commentators on NBC were talking about parts of the program and specifically mentioned the portion involving the printing blocks. One of them said that in interviews the director had said this group had practiced for 4 months 8 hours a day or more and never got it 100% right until Friday night.

It was amazing. :o

Guest msclonly

I found two additional channels on my Dish TV Guide. Called Olumpic 1 and Olympic 2, in addition to NBC, and CNBC broadcasts.

I suspect it is 24 hour Olympic programming on the first two new channels.

Right now there are Bios about individual winning atletes. Just in case you can't get enough on any of the top medal winners. Actually more interesting then the Games, alone.

:+

Not bad except for the faked footprint fireworks display which were not actually fireworks but a 55 second computer graphic sequence.

With advanced technology each opening ceremony should be more spectacular than the last. The 1984 Los Angeles one was pretty memorable but then again I was there which can make all the difference. The only really awful one I remember was 1996 in Atlanta. But, then again, just about everything about those games was a mess.

I could do with a little less of that annoying tinkling Chinese water torture music. Feels like being in a cheap Chinatown restaurant.

Those "isolationist or political types" you talk about might include some of the millions upon millions of people who have been killed by this repressive Communist regime which is easily one of the worst of the last 100 years. Not to dispute your point about the artistic merit of the opening ceremony one bit, but to dismiss those who would criticize China's human rights record with those four words is pretty sad.

Re: the footprint thing was faked. Check out today's Daily Telegraph.

You are twisting what my post said. What a surprise.

What I said called attention to people who would use an artistic production as an opportunity to criticize China. Time and place. Thanks for proving my point.

In no way was that a condemnation of all criticism of China's deplorable human rights history. Only someone with a political or personal agenda would find otherwise. It is possible to separate thought...political and artistic. Usually the first to suffer in a repressive society are the artists.

As for the faked fireworks, the commentators told the audience at that very moment that it was a cinematic device. I heard them, but then I was listening. There was no attempt to pass it off as real or even real time.

Apologist for a brutal and oppressive regime.

Your attempt to explain away your comments is tiresome and transparent.

Artistic enterprise doesn't exist in a vacuum. This was not the work of some starving artist trying to express themselves artistically.

This was the work of a state spending billions of dollars aggrandizing themselves at the expense of their citizens who die from disease, hunger, and oppression all over their own country.

Your inability to see that was also predictable.

Guest Tristan

>With advanced technology each opening ceremony should be more

>spectacular than the last. The 1984 Los Angeles one was pretty

>memorable but then again I was there which can make all the

>difference. The only really awful one I remember was 1996 in

>Atlanta. But, then again, just about everything about those

>games was a mess.

I watched the 1984 LA Olympics opening ceremonies on TV. It wasn't just that you were there. I thought the opening ceremonies were the best I had seen until Beijing.

I recall that the 1988 Seoul summer olympics opening ceremonies were much worse than average.

Guest Tristan

IE also requires the same Microsoft Silverlight plug-in. The plug-in requires that you have .NET Framework 2.0, which requires that you installed SP2 on XP, if you're using XP. There's a non plug-in option that's below the screen, which sometimes appears and sometimes doesn't. I've tried clicking on that a few times, and all I get is a quick flashing sequence of the larger screen background.

Why can't they just use the same video software that's used to watch TV episodes online? I guess that would be too easy. The video has always been very good on all the networks on which I've watched TV episodes and hasn't required any special plug-ins.

Guest msclonly

HARMONY! Harmony!

Please this is all about HARMONY, that few Americans really appreciate. They were showing the 'christian religioou' West, what a superior way of life since ancient times with teachers like Confusius, Lao, and Buddha. (sp?).

Archived