Start of 2021 Observations/Opinions of the hobby so far

This topic is 1126 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I know some people have been compelling me to get back on the grind here...but lately when I'm on tour, my free time is usually a commodity.

Wanted to see what others experiences have been so far in this post-pandemic (saying post only due to the vaccines rolling out) environment.

My opinion so far: things still seem quite up and down, but sustainable. There's more people coming out to play, but having traveled to several cities since the year started, it's hard to guage. I don't feel busy in the moment, day to day. But over the course of a couple weeks, things end up looking good. There was a couple of cities I visited where I've only ended up with 1 in person client. Others fared better, but some still could have been better.

I know in many places, I can feel the eagerness to meet. Guys coming out of quarantine and hibernation. But it's coming in waves, often last minute with not much planning or time window. It seems now, one has to just always be available. I rarely put up "available now" because it's rare someone is available the same time I'm available. So I just try to predict and manage. But my last tour had its moments, and I likely wouldn't of been able to recoup from no shows, had I not gotten a couple of longer appointments, and 1 town in particular that had me a client or 2 each day the whole weekend.

So overall, it's definitely gotten better...but I wouldn't say it's the roaring 20s just yet. I think the stimulus checks have been an overall godsend, but only to a degree because the market is still saturated just about everywhere.

I know some people have been compelling me to get back on the grind here...but lately when I'm on tour, my free time is usually a commodity.

Wanted to see what others experiences have been so far in this post-pandemic (saying post only due to the vaccines rolling out) environment.

My opinion so far: things still seem quite up and down, but sustainable. There's more people coming out to play, but having traveled to several cities since the year started, it's hard to guage. I don't feel busy in the moment, day to day. But over the course of a couple weeks, things end up looking good. There was a couple of cities I visited where I've only ended up with 1 in person client. Others fared better, but some still could have been better.

I know in many places, I can feel the eagerness to meet. Guys coming out of quarantine and hibernation. But it's coming in waves, often last minute with not much planning or time window. It seems now, one has to just always be available. I rarely put up "available now" because it's rare someone is available the same time I'm available. So I just try to predict and manage. But my last tour had its moments, and I likely wouldn't of been able to recoup from no shows, had I not gotten a couple of longer appointments, and 1 town in particular that had me a client or 2 each day the whole weekend.

So overall, it's definitely gotten better...but I wouldn't say it's the roaring 20s just yet. I think the stimulus checks have been an overall godsend, but only to a degree because the market is still saturated just about everywhere.

I think a lot of hirers are probably like me and only hire while traveling, and travel is WAAAY down this year (and of course last year). I f*cking love to travel but it’s all biz related and that’s just now starting to move again. My normal 12-14 stateside trips in a normal year dropped to 3 last year and hopefully may hit 5 this year (fingers crossed).

I think a lot of hirers are probably like me and only hire while traveling, and travel is WAAAY down this year (and of course last year). I f*cking love to travel but it’s all biz related and that’s just now starting to move again. My normal 12-14 stateside trips in a normal year dropped to 3 last year and hopefully may hit 5 this year (fingers crossed).

Good perspective. And yes, I do notice overall hotel visits and travelers are down. However I recently was in Scottsdale Arizona at the W, and a visitor was in town for a conference. So it does sound like things are moving along again. However state by state really varies. Some places hotel restaurants are all closed, in others they are doing Sunday brunches. Let’s hope the trend continues. Hope your next itinerary brings you a good f*ck from ☝? ?

They just had an ad in the local paper that all the Niagara Falls hotels here were pretty much all booked up for Valentine's Day weekend last month so people are starting to get out again. I know once I get fully vaccinated shortly I will be 100% ready to hire without any worries.

I think right now the number of people vaccinated, the local restrictions, the unemployment rate, and the weather are all factors that fluctuate from city to city. You go somewhere where most people are vaccinated and working and the weather is nice then you should get good business. I know you said @Jarrod_Uncut that you were in Denver during that big snowstorm so if you didn't do too good there that'd obviously be the #1 reason for that.

Edited by BuffaloKyle

Always so interesting to hear what clients think is happening vs. what is actually happening.

The one interesting caveat I see is the increase in work from home, especially when I travel.

In some cities, especially smaller ones, I could take a half day off work, get in Friday afternoon/evening and guys would see me after work. Now I’m getting multiple guys in every single city asking me how early I’ll get in on Friday and are able to see me up until 5.

Interestingly enough, I’ll still get guys worried about coming to see me during rush hour because of the traffic.

All That said, I tend to see the same things you see. @Jarrod_Uncut

From close friends I hear that Phoenix and Scottsdale are now fully open. And Arizona’s case load has been plummeting.

Yeah I happened in the right time. and arrived to Phoenix the weekend that everything opened. Stayed at a “hip” hotel downtown, and there was music, brunch and crowds on the rooftop. However I didn’t make it to any gay bars while I was there. The traffic in Phoenix also seems to have gotten close to LA status again as well.

I know you said @Jarrod_Uncut that you were in Denver during that big snowstorm so if you didn't do too good there that'd obviously be the #1 reason for that.

I actually missed that one (fortunently). I was in Arizona that weekend. There was a couple other “smaller” snowstorms (if you call 10 inches of snow in 1 night small lol) prior to that big one though, and I was there.

That’s one thing I didn’t miss about being in Denver (or likely any major northern city) full time. Appointments start cancelling before the snow, and if you’re lucky, you’ll get someone wanting an outcall...despite the roads being snowpacked.

In some cities, especially smaller ones, I could take a half day off work, get in Friday afternoon/evening and guys would see me after work. Now I’m getting multiple guys in every single city asking me how early I’ll get in on Friday and are able to see me up until 5.

Interestingly enough, I’ll still get guys worried about coming to see me during rush hour because of the traffic.

All That said, I tend to see the same things you see. @Jarrod_Uncut

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. It had even gotten to a point in KC where I had just stopped working all together for about 2 weeks. Most of the incalls would need to meet by about 3 pm, and I couldn’t accommodate those hours after the holidays. So I pretty much just gave up, considering there’s also fewer and fewer clients who can host. During a visit to one city, all of my requests were incalls. I didn’t mind because since I have to get a hotel anyway, it’s usually more preferred they come to me.

But people still trying it. I had to block one prior meet client after he said he was “available all day”, then tells me he has plans with his kids at 4, when I said I could meet him at 3.

When I’m traveling...I don’t even give these cities “time” like I used to. If it’s not happening after a day or 2...and mofos playing around/not confirming, I’ll leave. If I didn’t have doings in Kansas City, I’d give this place 1 day...and keep it moving. I had to do that in a couple of cities on my last tour. El Paso would have only gotten 1 night from me as well, but I was tired from traveling and decided to bunk and explore there for like 3-4 days. But I had 1 overnight client, while all the rest no showed.

COVID stuff aside, I still can’t help but wonder if the continued lack of being able to post rates...is what’s causing some of the reoccurring mayhem. If guys could clearly see from the start what the price is, maybe there would be less turnover. Fortunately a good number are still in the market for the 200/300 expectation.