MLB 2021 Baseball Season

Lucky
This topic is 937 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

YAWN!

Another day, Another homer.

4 straight games (13 RBI). If he hits one every game for the rest of the season, he'll break the record of 8 straight games by Dale Long, Mattingly, & Griffey , Jr.  Votto almost tied it earlier this season, but in the 8th game he hit a double a foot from the top of the wall.

19 HR, 50 RBI last 49 games.

And Baltimore beat the Red Sox.

Oh, and the Cardinals won again.

Edited by samhexum

9 hours ago, samhexum said:

Stanton & Judge in August: Stanton: 9 HR, 25 RBI Judge: 8 HR, 26 RBI

In September: Stanton: 10 HR, 25 RBI Judge: 8 HR, 20 RBI

In MLB history, the only other duo to have 8+ HR & 20+ RBI in both August & September in a season was Babe Ruth & Lou Gehrig in 1931.

Major League Baseball Average Attendance This Season

No surprise the St. Louis Cardinals are in 5th place because the team has always drawn fans from The Miid West and the South

It's amazing.  The only SF Giants comment in this thread was about Belt's injury to his hand.  As usual, the Giants are being underestimated as a team.  Nothing about them being the best team in baseball for most of the season.  

In the three post seasons (2010, 12 & 14) when they won the WS, they were totally underestimated.  In 2010, Texas was to blow away SF in the WS.  Instead, SF won 4 games to one.  In 2012, Detroit was expected to win the WS and the Giants swept them.  Detroit pitcher Justin Verlander was expected to blow away the Giants.  Instead, Verlander only lasted 4 innings of game 1 having given up 5 runs.  Pablo Sandoval went four-for-four, driving in four runs on three home runs. He joined the record book with Babe Ruth (in 1926 and 1928).  Being underestimated is good.  2014 was the most competitive.  Both Wild Card teams (KC and SF) made it to the WS which went 7 games.

Recently, MLB in featuring the Giants in the current division race with the Dodger made the statement that these two teams have won the World Series 4 times out of the last 11 years without mentioning that the Giants won 3 and Dodgers 1 during the shorten pandemic season.

Go Giants.  Beat LA.  They are 2 games ahead of LA.  The magic number  is 4.

One of the most enjoyable broadcasters in baseball retired after yesterday's game.  Here's what a Yankee blog said:

Ken Singleton, YES broadcaster, is retiring after today’s telecast. Ken’s professionalism, passion, and love for the game of baseball have all been a joy and a privilege to hear over my many years of baseball fandom. Without a doubt, he is my favorite play-by-play announcer in the game and his color commentary is also near flawless. He knows baseball inside and out from a life well-lived in the game. He appreciates the players of today. He is knowledgeable without being a know it all. He is informative without being condescending. He is funny and witty without trying too hard. And, let’s be honest, his voice is a perfect voice for baseball.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by samhexum

Many people have written about the amazing accomplishment of the Mariners not being eliminated until the final day despite their fairly substantial negative run differential, and rightly so, as it was an impressive achievement.

However, on the other side of the coin, I think it is almost unbelievable that Toronto didn't make it.  I know they didn't get to play 'home' games at home until midway through the season, but consider:

• They made the best-value free-agent signing-- Robbie Ray, who'll win the Cy Young, for $8 mil
  • They made the 2nd-best-value signing-- Marcus Semien, who'll probably be 3rd in the MVP vote
  • They signed the best all-around player-- George Springer, who missed a lot of time, but was very good when he played
  • They basically traded a bag of balls for Steven Matz, who went 14-7, 3.82
  • They had one of the best rookie pitchers-- Alek Manoah
  • They got the 2nd best starter traded mid-season-- Jose Berrios.  After that, their rotation of Ray, Berrios, Manoah, Matz, Ryu was probably the most talented in the league
  • Two relievers they picked up mid-season were lights-out for them-- Adam Cimber & Trevor Richards
  • Vlad tied for the HR title, got pretty close to the triple crown, & will be 2nd in the MVP vote
  • Their offensive core broke out so much that they became the 1st team ever to have 4 players each get their 1st 100-RBI season
  • When they lost their 3rd baseman (Biggio) they replaced him with a kid (Espinal) who hit .311/.376/.405
  •      
Edited by samhexum

On 9/30/2021 at 3:13 PM, WilliamM said:

To be fair, not an especially great baseball park to watch a game 

Compared to Wrigley in Chicago, Fenway in  Boston and even Shea in Queens.

It can feel like November at a night game in July

You seem to have forgotten that Shea Stadium and Candlestick Park no longer exist.

7 hours ago, samhexum said:

Many people have written about the amazing accomplishment of the Mariners not being eliminated until the final day despite their fairly substantial negative run differential, and rightly so, as it was an impressive achievement.

However, on the other side of the coin, I think it is almost unbelievable that Toronto didn't make it.  I know they didn't get to play 'home' games at home until midway through the season, but consider:

• They made the best-value free-agent signing-- Robbie Ray, who'll win the Cy Young, for $8 mil
  • They made the 2nd-best-value signing-- Marcus Semien, who'll probably be 3rd in the MVP vote
  • They signed the best all-around player-- George Springer, who missed a lot of time, but was very good when he played
  • They basically traded a bag of balls for Steven Matz, who went 14-7, 3.82
  • They had one of the best rookie pitchers-- Alek Manoah
  • They got the 2nd best starter traded mid-season-- Jose Berrios.  After that, their rotation of Ray, Berrios, Manoah, Matz, Ryu was probably the most talented in the league
  • Two relievers they picked up mid-season were lights-out for them-- Adam Cimber & Trevor Richards
  • Vlad tied for the HR title, got pretty close to the triple crown, & will be 2nd in the MVP vote
  • Their offensive core broke out so much that they became the 1st team ever to have 4 players each get their 1st 100-RBI season
  • When they lost their 3rd baseman (Biggio) they replaced him with a kid (Espinal) who hit .311/.376/.405
  •      

Yeah I really wanted them to make it. They were solid in all areas there really was no weakness with them. They just had the offense not show up in games sometimes and the bullpen before the trade deadline was not the greatest. I think if George Springer didn't miss so much time at the beginning of the season as well they would be in the playoffs as that had to of cost them the couple wins they needed.

30 minutes ago, BuffaloKyle said:

Yeah I really wanted them to make it. They were solid in all areas there really was no weakness with them. They just had the offense not show up in games sometimes and the bullpen before the trade deadline was not the greatest. I think if George Springer didn't miss so much time at the beginning of the season as well they would be in the playoffs as that had to of cost them the couple wins they needed.

They were the most complete team by the end of the season and could've gone all the way.

Edited by samhexum

3 hours ago, WilliamM said:

Good luck to Albert Pujols later today with he Dodgers. Hope the Cardinals win but it will not be easy against such an excellent team

Go Blue! 😉

Although the Cardinals were my grandfather’s favorite team. He used to take vacation at World Series time to follow the series….even pre-TV days, radio only.