Wigmore Hall, La Scala, and Paris

Karl-G
This topic is 1208 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The pandemic continues.

Wigmore Hall in London, one of the pre-eminent concert halls in the world, has announced it received over one million pounds in donations since the hall was closed last March. Wigmore continued to offer almost daily live concerts, without a live audience, ever since. Wigmore has been able to pay all its musicians and is now confident enough that it is offering 40 live concerts in the next 30 days, every evening at 7:30 GMT (2:30 EST) and often at 1:00 p.m. They are excellent.

La Scala Opera and Ballet has announced that it has canceled its entire 2021 season, but it will offer every production streaming. Tickets required, but very reasonable. The four productions I have seen were excellent.

Paris Opera and Ballet has made the same announcement - 2021 Season canceled, but all productions will take place and be streamed. The offerings so far are excellent.

Thanks for starting this thread @Karl-G.

I’ve been very surprised at how differently the well established, and often heavily subsidized, concert halls and opera houses have responded to the problems caused by the pandemic.

In the UK, I agree that Wigmore Hall has done well (as it should as it receives large State funding and an extra grant in the pandemic) while the Royal Opera House has done barely nothing (despite very heavy State subsidy and an extra large grant for the pandemic). Glyndebourne Opera in contrast has zero State funding but has announced a somewhat reduced season in 2021 with 50% capacity to keep social distancing (even tho the UK vaccination effort is proceeding remarkably quickly).