Minari and Nomadland

OCClient
This topic is 1106 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This weekend I watched both

Lee Isaac Chung's Minari

and

Chloé Zhao's Nomadland.

Both are poignant, mostly quiet movies. I enjoyed them.

Nomadland is a bigger budget film with a big name star.

Minari doesn't have a Frances Mcdormand, but the grandmother and grandson characters are so well performed. Loved them.

ccc8d841a57378da03c69f118a2a962b81-minari.2x.rsocial.w600.jpg

Minari is a nuanced and low key film set in rural Arkansas. That works for me.

Nomadland is both melancholy and sublime. I enjoyed how the film travels onward to each panoramic location. Could win best picture.c1fff4c0a4211c62d705fc2374d6f29bf3-nomadland.jpg

Edited by OCClient

This weekend I watched both

Lee Isaac Chung's Minari

and

Chloé Zhao's Nomadland.

Both are poignant, mostly quiet movies. I enjoyed them.

Nomadland is a bigger budget film with a big name star.

Minari doesn't have a Frances Mcdormand, but the grandmother and grandson characters are so well performed. Loved them.

ccc8d841a57378da03c69f118a2a962b81-minari.2x.rsocial.w600.jpg

Minari is a nuanced and low key film set in rural Arkansas. That works for me.

Nomadland is both melancholy and sublime. I enjoyed how the film travels onward to each panoramic location. Could win best picture.c1fff4c0a4211c62d705fc2374d6f29bf3-nomadland.jpg

Where did you see Minari? I hate that they pigeonholed it as a "Foreign Language" film for the Oscars even though it's American.

I thought Nomadland was a little depressing..https://www.companyofmen.org/threads/nomadland-free-from-2-19.163201/

Francis McDormand has a nice job. Be a contender for best actress in a big-budget movie by remaining absolutely stoic in all situations and showing absolutely zero emotion. Strange Hulu got the rights.

I payed $20 to watch Minari on line at the A24 website. You get an intro, the film, and a nicely done Q&A previously recorded.

Nomadland deals with life and loss, so yeah, it has sadness. One can see how Zhao loves the wide open spaces of the American West.

Yes, Minari is 100% American.

Edited by OCClient

I accept the depressing aspects of older life , it's the character's choice at the end not to accept a wonderful arrangement with the beautiful family of a man she likes as even a home base but to continue basically being homeless (or "houseless"). I saw Bliss a couple weeks ago which is also about voluntary homelessness, abeit drug-induced. So many people have no real desirable options I hate for homelessness to be thought of as a "lifestyle choice".

Hated Nomandland so much. I love depressing films, but have a point.

Her earlier movie, The Rider, showed great promise. But she's a sellout like so many (but not all). Not basing this on Nomandland, but on the fucking stupid superhero movie she's got in the works (finished?).

The Rider:

Where did you see Minari? I hate that they pigeonholed it as a "Foreign Language" film for the Oscars even though it's American.

I thought Nomadland was a little depressing..https://www.companyofmen.org/threads/nomadland-free-from-2-19.163201/

Francis McDormand has a nice job. Be a contender for best actress in a big-budget movie by remaining absolutely stoic in all situations and showing absolutely zero emotion. Strange Hulu got the rights.

Minari and Nomadland are both nominated for best picture.

Getting killed off the show by the writers of TWD has lead to this,

a best actor nomination for Steven Yeun's performance in Minari.

Steven-Yeun-Oscar-Nomination-.png?w=620&h=420&crop=1

• 1 month later...

I was uninspired by this year’s nominees. Nomadland’s cinematography was beautiful, but everything was so depressing to watch. Why couldn’t they select a more uplifting movie during the pandemic? Minari was ok, but again i wouldn’t watch it again.

I was uninspired by this year’s nominees. Nomadland’s cinematography was beautiful, but everything was so depressing to watch. Why couldn’t they select a more uplifting movie during the pandemic? Minari was ok, but again i wouldn’t watch it again.

Bill Maher two weeks ago: "I don't have to leave the theater whistling, but would it kill Hollywood to once in a while make a movie that doesn't make me want to take a bath with the toaster? We all had a rough year, a little escapism would have been appreciated."

There was Another Round

Hard to depress Danes if there's beer available.

I'm just thankful there were no movies with masks in them.

Edited by tassojunior

Bill Maher two weeks ago: "I don't have to leave the theater whistling, but would it kill Hollywood to once in a while make a movie that doesn't make me want to take a bath with the toaster? We all had a rough year, a little escapism would have been appreciated."

What part of the theaters being closed last year and the studios holding on to product to release when they're open again do these fools not understand? In The Heights was scheduled for release last July, now scheduled for June 21 this year. The new West Side Story was scheduled for last Christmas and has been moved to this December. Tenet went against the grain and bombed. There is a fucking pandemic Mr Maher. And for those of us who enjoy small, realistic indies it was a pretty good year. Fast And Furious also pushed back opening. Entitled, whiny old white guy syndrome much Bill?

I liked Nomadland quite a bit and only think it's ending is depressing if you consider the nomad lifestyle to be the lesser of those choices. To Fern, being a nomad is the choice of freedom and autonomy...her way of burying the past grief over her husband and truly becoming her own person. The ending to me is powerful because it questions the conventional ways we think of "happiness" in favor of a different path. I doubt I would choose the same, but thought it was the best way for that movie to end and was in many ways a "happy" ending.

I do really want to see Minari. It looks really good. I think maybe I will rent it on Amazon this weekend.

"The new West Side Story was scheduled for last Christmas and has been moved to this December."

I don't know if I am looking forward to this or not. I really liked the original a lot. And I don't think that Spielberg has ever directed a musical or not (that doesn't mean imminent disaster). I guess we will see.

Edited by TruthBTold

I liked Nomadland quite a bit and only think it's ending is depressing if you consider the nomad lifestyle to be the lesser of those choices. To Fern, being a nomad is the choice of freedom and autonomy...her way of burying the past grief over her husband and truly becoming her own person. The ending to me is powerful because it questions the conventional ways we think of "happiness" in favor of a different path. I doubt I would choose the same, but thought it was the best way for that movie to end and was in many ways a "happy" ending.

I do really want to see Minari. It looks really good. I think maybe I will rent it on Amazon this weekend.

I saw Nomadland a week after seeing Bliss, so Bliss may have influenced my view of people who choose homelessness when there are beautiful alternatives they reject. Not many homeless people are so lucky to have wonderful alternatives and to see them refuse one is sad. I doubt if many of these Amazon camp nomads are really doing it long-term out of choice or it wouldn't have started with the Great Recession. But everyone's life is their own to live or waste as they want.

I saw Nomadland a week after seeing Bliss, so Bliss may have influenced my view of people who choose homelessness when there are beautiful alternatives they reject. Not many homeless people are so lucky to have wonderful alternatives and to see them refuse one is sad. I doubt if many of these Amazon camp nomads are really doing it long-term out of choice or it wouldn't have started with the Great Recession. But everyone's life is their own to live or waste as they want.

A lot of the "characters" in Nomadland are actually real-life, full-time nomads including Bob Wells and Charlene Swankie. Bob Wells is actually a nomad "influencer" and has YouTube videos promoting and giving tips about the nomad life. That "Rubber Camp Rendezvous" event seen in the movie is a real event and they actually filmed that event in 2019. It's not the life I'd choose, but I think the people in that movie really did choose that lifestyle and I think even in a certain amount of homeless population in any city, it's a choice they are making not simply that they ran out of options or whatever.

Well ... there's Kingkong vs Godzilla.