Some Vacation ideas

LurkerSpeaks
This topic is 5729 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest alanm

I stayed at very cheap hotels or slept in my sleeping bag on friends' floors during my two long winter trips to Europe. That eventually became a grind, until I was able to rent a decent, but cheap apartment in southern Spain.

I remember from when you posted here regularly that you stay in higher price hotels, often Marriatt hotels. I enjoyed my second trip to Rio much more tha my first. The second time I know my way around the city, and stayed at the Caesar Park in Ipanema. Although the Caesar Park is overpriced, it was a very nice upgrade from what I had been used to on my longer first trip to Rio.

We really are not that far apart.

I am glad that you posted here again.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realize this might sound strange coming from a 67 year old native Californian BUT I absolutely love London in the winter. I send two weeks there in January as often as I get the chance. Hotels and Bed & Breakfasts are less crowded and prices are often better particularly if you stay more than a day or two. Theatre tickets are avaiable and many top actors appear on London stages at that time of the year. The January Sales actually make many things affortable. As the month progresses the sales get better and better. One year I actually bought a long winter wool/cashmere coat at Harrods and the price wasn't out of sight. Sure the weather can be overcast, rainy, and cold (one year it even snowed lightly) but that in itself is an interesting change for somebody like me from California. I guess, the simple truth is that I LOVE London anytime of the year, Spring, Summer, Fall or Winter. Each season is special and each has different things to offer.

Guest zipperzone

>One year I

>actually bought a long winter wool/cashmere coat at Harrods

>and the price wasn't out of sight.

Living in California, you need a coat like that???????

Not in California!! However, the first winter I went to London, being a typical native Southern Californian, the only coat I took was an unlined raincoat. I damn near died of the cold and bought the long winter coat in order to survive. It certainly is worthless here at home but great in the winter in Europe. Last December I spent time in Hungary, Austria and the Czech Republic and the coat went right along with me and, was to say the least, very useful. I have come to love Europe in the winter. I am certain that love has been nurtured by my winter coat.

Although Europe--especially northern Europe--is more attractive in summer, I generally go in autumn or winter. Partly it's because airfare is cheaper then, but what really clinches it for me is that there are more cultural events available, and they are geared toward locals rather than American tourists. In particular, the regular opera, ballet and theater seasons don't normally start until October in most cities. Crowds in museums are also smaller in winter than in summer, and restaurants are less hectic when there are not large gaggles of tourists who can't understand the menu. However, London has become a year round tourist attraction, not only for Americans but also for other Europeans. I spent two weeks there in November last year, and the crowds were worse than I remembered from the summers when I lived there. London is turning into a kind of urban Disneyland, with tourism as the base of the local economy.

Archived