And While I'm on a Roll, any recommendations for a late spring gay cruise

rocky
This topic is 1185 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

How about a cruise to Alaska - I heard it is lovely during the summer.

Forget it. Canada has banned all cruise ships in its territory until 2022 and they must go through Canadian waters to get to Alaska. So Alaska cannot have any cruises ships at its ports for the next year. The governor of Alaska expressed his great disappointment at this announcement. This was just a week ago.

I haven’t studied the geography but don’t know why they just don’t go via Russia. After all Alaska used to belong to the Russians. I do know from my history that Canada was upset with the British when they traded away our territory to the Americans in the 19th century when we were still a colony of Britain’s. They gave the U S the Alaskan panhandle and Oregon and Washington.

Forget it. Canada has banned all cruise ships in its territory until 2022 and they must go through Canadian waters to get to Alaska. So Alaska cannot have any cruises ships at its ports for the next year. The governor of Alaska expressed his great disappointment at this announcement. This was just a week ago.

I don't understand why the government can't suspend the Jones Act for one season to help out the communities in Alaska that are largely dependent on cruise ship passengers. Is there nothing in the Jones Act that would allow a temporary suspension?

I haven’t studied the geography but don’t know why they just don’t go via Russia. After all Alaska used to belong to the Russians. I do know from my history that Canada was upset with the British when they traded away our territory to the Americans in the 19th century when we were still a colony of Britain’s. They gave the U S the Alaskan panhandle and Oregon and Washington.

The cruise would have to be very long to incorporate a Russian port, sailing beyond the entire Aleutian archipelago. There are one-way transpacific cruises from Vancouver to Tokyo that visit the Aleutians, and the journey is about 16 nights. I would estimate a cruise that was round-trip from Seattle and visited a Russian port would be about 4 weeks long at least, with many sea days between ports.

Also, a ship could theoretically leave Seattle and avoid Canadian waters by staying west of Vancouver Island, but this would remove the scenic journey and calmer waters of the Inside Passage. It would also contravene the maritime law/rule that cruise ships must include at least one port that is outside the country of departure.

Also, a ship could theoretically leave Seattle and avoid Canadian waters by staying west of Vancouver Island, but this would remove the scenic journey and calmer waters of the Inside Passage. It would also contravene the maritime law/rule that cruise ships must include at least one port that is outside the country of departure.

It’s that maritime rule of requiring a stop at a foreign port which has created the issue. I’m not sure how easy it would be to change it as it’s tied in with a long-standing rule of commerce, I believe.