TONY SNOW R.I.P

jackhammer91406
This topic is 5736 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Tony Snow finally lost his long battle with cancer.

Although he represented a president I had no trust or regard for, I recognized he was doing a job. At times Tony would say things that were outright untrue (I personally think Tony was a bad liar and it showed every time he was forced to stand there and say whatever the party line was). I would hear him utter some of that crud and want to throw something at the TV screen.

I do believe that deep down he probably was a pretty good guy roped into the wrong job working for bad people. He might have believed in the philosophy, but I don't think he really believed some of the stuff that had to come out of his mouth for him to do his job.

In retrospect I am cutting him some slack.

Anyway, my deep sympathies to his family and friends

>At times Tony would say

>things that were outright untrue (I personally think Tony was

>a bad liar and it showed every time he was forced to stand

>there and say whatever the party line was). I would hear him

>utter some of that crud and want to throw something at the TV

>screen.

Jackhammer, remember when Tim Russert died and you created the tribute thread, and some posters were bringing up the fact that yes, it was very sad, that he was a good man who also had some faults? You said it was "kind of like dancing on someone's grave if you ask me." I didn't think you were right, and I don't think you're "dancing on Tony Snow's grave" now, but I hope maybe you can see the parallels here. It's possible to express sorrow about someone's death (as the critical posters in the Tim Russert thread did) while also bringing up some of the negative aspects, too. Or...maybe it's just OK if you do it. :p

I wonder sometimes whether people have any sense of what is appropriate or not at times like this. I guess the answer is no. I wonder how you would feel if the things you said were about someone you respected, knew, and admired on the very day of their death.

As for the bulk of your comments, I'd like you to give 3 specific examples of when you believe that Tony Snow "lied" from the podium as Press Secretary. Just 3 examples will suffice.

Sad. He was one of the good guys.

Guest Wetnwildbear

I'm sure he will be missed by his family and friends.

I didn't agree with his politics, but did get the sense

that he had a reasonable basis for many of his beliefs.

He never looked comfortable in the White House Press Room

- As though, he was just as offended by the lies - but felt a twisted

obligation to tow the party line. (Just my impressions)

As opposed to Limbuagh/OReilly/Robertson/Ried/Dobson/Etc - who are

just media-#### meglomaniac mouthpiece scum.

RE: TONY SNOW and BOBBY MURCER R.I.P

The first time I heard Tony Snow’s voice I was impressed by how kind, thoughtful, and compassionate he sounded. This was well before his White House days. He always lovingly spoke of family and friends and indeed was always fair and evenhanded when interviewing partisans of all political persuasions.

He was indeed a gentle man as well as a gentleman… and just an overall good guy.

Not wanting to start a new thread, much the same can be said about Yankee great Bobby Murcer who died later the same day… again a kindhearted and gentle human being who also lost a courageous battle with cancer.

I was genuinely saddened by the passing of both and will miss them deeply…

>I wonder sometimes whether people have any sense of what is

>appropriate or not at times like this. I guess the answer is

>no. I wonder how you would feel if the things you said were

>about someone you respected, knew, and admired on the very day

>of their death.

>

>As for the bulk of your comments, I'd like you to give 3

>specific examples of when you believe that Tony Snow

>"lied" from the podium as Press Secretary. Just 3

>examples will suffice.

>

>Sad. He was one of the good guys.

Very eloquently said Ariadne1880.

Tony Snow was most definitely one of the good guys and will be missed by many.

My prayers and sympathy go out to him and his family.

Guest ncm2169

< I'd like you to give 3 specific examples of when you believe that Tony Snow "lied" from the podium as Press Secretary. Just 3 examples will suffice

First, I mourn any good man's passing, and that he died at such an early age was especially tragic. That said, his passing does not automatically confer Angelic Status on him, and his human record on earth still stands.

To Ariadne's request - here's a few more than three:

The many falsehoods of Tony Snow

Summary: Media Matters for America presents a compilation of false and misleading claims advanced by Tony Snow -- a Fox News Radio host, Fox News guest host and commentator, and former speechwriter to President George H.W. Bush -- who is reportedly being considered by the White House to replace outgoing press secretary Scott McClellan.

The White House is reportedly considering Fox News' Tony Snow to replace outgoing White House press secretary Scott McClellan. White House officials recently spoke with Snow "to see if he would be interested in the job," according to The New York Times. Snow is the host of Fox News Radio's The Tony Snow Show, a regular commentator and guest host on Fox News, and a former speechwriter to President George H.W. Bush.

From his statement that evolutionary theory is a "hypothesis" to his defense of Swift Boat Veterans for Truth, Media Matters for America has documented numerous false and misleading claims advanced by Snow as a Fox News commentator:

* Snow falsely asserted that former ambassador Joseph C. Wilson IV said his wife, Valerie Plame, "wasn't covert for six years" before she was exposed as a CIA operative by syndicated columnist Robert Novak.

* Snow put forward numerous falsehoods to argue that "[e]volutionary theory, like ID [intelligent design], isn't verifiable or testable. It's pure hypothesis."

* Snow claimed that Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg is the "most liberal justice in American history," despite evidence to the contrary.

* Snow peddled the baseless Republican National Committee talking point that 2004 presidential candidate Sen. John Kerry (D-MA) had blamed U.S. troops for the explosives looted from the Al Qaqaa military installation following the invasion of Iraq. Snow said, "[T]he Kerry campaign is not criticizing the president here. They're criticizing our troops."

* Following President Bush's lead, Snow distorted Kerry's stated desire to reduce terrorism to a "horrible nuisance." Snow claimed Kerry had "called terrorists a nuisance."

* Snow backed Swift Boat Veterans for Truth's attacks on Kerry, falsely claiming, "[T]here has been no documentary contradiction of the Swift Boat stuff."

* Snow falsely defended Bush from probing questions regarding his National Guard service.

Let it be noted that Media Matters is NOT a partisan organization, and regularly skewers right-wing media as well as left wing media.

I always liked him and the way he handled the press was remarkable. I admired the way he could just stand up there, seemingly unflappable and deflect whatever they threw at him and he seemed to believe it himself, wholeheartedly. And maybe he did believe it, like most of us did back then and because he was one of the good guys, maybe he distanced himself when it became all too apparent that a lot of what we were being told wasn't true.... or maybe he just got sick. Again.

But what really strikes home with me about him is more personal. I was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2006 at 47 years old. Knew there was a problem as far back as 2003 when Jim Slade tried to top and there was NO WAY... it was Draker that told me to get to a doctor, and as I have said before, he probably saved my life..... just in the nick of time.... Had the treatments, had the surgery (brutal), and more treatments. .... and all is good right now. No signs anywhere.

But Tony Snow is the first time I heard about "recurrence"... and how he thought he had beat it and then, it came back so bad that they had to remove his whole colon and then two years later, it's in his stomach. And that's not even where it usually turns up again. It's most likely to reoccur in the liver or lung. My doctor says that my liver is too well preserved for that..... after my first surgery, the Dr came out and told all my friends that my liver was clean, and they all were like, "What the fuck??? He's the biggest drunk we know!!" So, once again, God divides.

Have to say, though, that it rattled me today. Tony Snow. Sick when I was sick and now dead. Scary.

All the more reason to enjoy every day. And indulge one's self... with David and Ty and Beau and Jay and my usual litany of amazing asses.

Eat (ass), drink (Beer) and be merry (oh, Mary, don't ask), for tomorrow, you may die....

Put THAT on the tombstone...

Okie

Of course, the above didn't answer my question at all. The original poster claims he lied as White House Press Secretary from the podium.

The above talks about BEFORE he became Press Secretary. Nice try, but no cigar. As for Media Matters being "non-partisan." Give me a break. That's like calling Huffingtonpost.com "non-partisan."

To quote CBS News correspondent and liberal Bill Plante last night:

"Tony Snow was always candid with the press. He always told us the truth and when he didn't know something he just told us he didn't know something. He was one of the two best press secretaries who held that job."

I guess I'll take the opinion of someone knowledgeable over those who just can't get past their own narrow-minded political views.

Glutes--the "Tony Snow Job" comment was really beyond the pale on the day of the man's death. A man that apparently not a single network could find anyone to say anything bad about him. Ashamed at your comment.

>Let it be noted that Media Matters is NOT a partisan

>organization, and regularly skewers right-wing media as well

>as left wing media.

>

>

LMAO!!! HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!!!!!!

I havent laughed so hard in YEARS!!!

ROTFLMFGAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA!!!!

What's next? The Daily Kos?

>

>Glutes--the "Tony Snow Job" comment was really

>beyond the pale on the day of the man's death. A man that

>apparently not a single network could find anyone to say

>anything bad about him. Ashamed at your comment.

Just ignore The Troll, don't even click on his threads! If more people do that he should go away...

>

>"Tony Snow was always candid with the press. He always

>told us the truth

>I guess I'll take the opinion of someone knowledgeable over

>those who just can't get past their own narrow-minded

>political views.

>

Very eloquently said!

It's God's Gift that there are Loons and then there are loons. Sometimes on Message Boards it's not hard to differentiate between the two.

"It's possible to express sorrow about someone's death (as the critical posters in the Tim Russert thread did) while also bringing up some of the negative aspects, too."

Rick, Well said... As for me, I'm from the "old school" that teaches you to recall the good in someone's life after they're gone. After all, what's the purpose of pointing out someone's political differences at a time when Tony Snow's family and friends are grieving his loss. It's time for comforting not conflict.

The news reporters are saying that Tony Snow was a good and decent man who was well respected by his colleagues. That's a wonderful tribute.

RIP Tony Snow.

Guest zipperzone

>Just ignore The Troll, don't even click on his threads! If

>more people do that he should go away...

You think? I tried that with you but it didn't seem to work.....

Guest alanm

It is okay to have tributes here to Tim Russert and Tony Snow, who both supported the war in Iraq. I am sure their respectives families and many friends will miss both men a lot.

What we do not talk about very much are the men and women who are either in Iraq or back home after several tours of duty. I recently got to know a 27-year old marine, who was in a summer Russian literature class with me at the University of Pennsylvania. Eugene went through three tours of duty in Iraq, and had very little time at home between those tours. He has been at Penn for 18-months and would seem to be doing okay, but he missed classes and often didn't do the reading assignments. I talked to him a lot, and frankly he's just barely getting by. Russert and Snow may have been fine men, but the men and women who are serving, or have served, in Iraq are the people who really deserve the media's attention.

Archived