Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf premise

FreshFluff
This topic is 1103 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

One of the premises has always made little sense to me. Nick admits that he hopes to sleep with professors’ wives in order to advance his career. This seems like the worst possible thing a young male professor can do, particularly at a small liberal arts college campus. The absolute best case scenario is that (1) none of the husbands find out; (2) the wives he sleeps with never turn on him; and (3) the wives convince their husbands that he’s a good addition to the department from a social perspective even if he’s marginal professionally. More likely, this strategy is a quick way to get tossed out the door and probably blacklisted elsewhere. Sleeping with the college president’s volatile, married daughter seems like a dumb idea, too.

Could someone please explain?

When I was at Penn State in the 1960s, wife swapping was common in the political science department. I never discussed it with my female adviser. A female political scientist was unusual then

@FreshFluff

Were young male profs doing it too? They need to build up goodwill before tenure.

Edited by FreshFluff

FWIW, I got my first job as a college professor because the dept head's wife apparently found me so charming that she told him to hire me, so he did. (He was trying to find a last minute replacement and I was available.)

Did you charm her in any particular way, or was she just taken by your handsome countenance?

Did you charm her in any particular way, or was she just taken by your handsome countenance?

She called and interviewed me over the phone, because her husband was too busy to interview me himself. We had a delightful long conversation, and the next day he called and offered me the job. I have no idea what she told him to convince him to hire me. I didn't meet her in person until after I started working. The impression I got of her over the phone was of someone extremely attractive, and I was rather surprised to discover she was quite homely.

• 4 weeks later...

One of the premises has always made little sense to me. Nick admits that he hopes to sleep with professors’ wives in order to advance his career. This seems like the worst possible thing a young male professor can do, particularly at a small liberal arts college campus. The absolute best case scenario is that (1) none of the husbands find out; (2) the wives he sleeps with never turn on him; and (3) the wives convince their husbands that he’s a good addition to the department from a social perspective even if he’s marginal professionally. More likely, this strategy is a quick way to get tossed out the door and probably blacklisted elsewhere. Sleeping with the college president’s volatile, married daughter seems like a dumb idea, too.

Could someone please explain?

Sometimes people do exceptionally stupid things. They have a certain logic in their mind but it makes no sense.

• 1 month later...