Happy Australia Day!

sydneyboy
This topic is 1200 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Could you discuss the demonstrations on Australia Day, @sydneyboy

I was visiting Melbourne on Australia Day in the 1990s

Australia Day is 26 January, celebrating the day the First Fleet arrived on our shores in 1788. Aboriginal people have increasingly opposed this being our national day as they suffered following the arrival of European civilisation. They view it as invasion day. Many non Aboriginal people agree and believe it is not an appropriate national day. There is no denying Australia is divided on this point.

Does Australia Day usually take place during the Australia Open. And did Margaret Court receive her award?

@sydneyboy

The Australian Open starts this year on 8 February. Margaret Court has accepted her award of AC (Companion of the Order of Australia), Australia's highest civilian decoration, much to the annoyance of some of us.

On Australia Day it was a pleasant 33° here in Canberra, the two previous days it had been 38° (100°F). Now, at 9.30pm on Friday night it's just over 18° (c 65°F) and that's the 'warmest' it's been all day as it's rained gently. It must be summer in Canberra. Still, I can't complain, this time last year almost every day was in the high 30s and the air was thick with smoke. Most of our state border closures ended today and there were crowds watching exhibition tennis matches at Memorial Drive in Adelaide as most of the Australian Open players came out of quarantine. I'm having a quiet glass of red as I reflect on my (and our) relative good fortune.