It's a Sin - Russell T Davies

keefer
This topic is 1181 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

We started watching Friday evening - managed two episodes a night and just watched the final episode. Breathtakingly beautiful, captures so many aspects of my life but through the eyes of five 18-year-olds moving to London in 1981 and living through the crisis. HBO picked up the rights in the states, supposedly already streaming in Australia... a preview video ...

... just make sure you have lots of tissues and a comfort animal nearby...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this being streamed on a particular station, etc.? If it is HBO (is it HBOMax - more $) do you know when they plan on showing? Thanks.

Found this: "we learn that It’s a Sin will debut Thursday, February 18 on HBO Max, and get comfy on your couch because the series will premiere binge style with all five episodes dropping at once."

• 3 weeks later...

Found this: "we learn that It’s a Sin will debut Thursday, February 18 on HBO Max, and get comfy on your couch because the series will premiere binge style with all five episodes dropping at once."

You know I pay for HBO through my provider (RCN). For the life of me I cannot figure out how to add HBO Max as an additional streaming provider. I see that you do it through HBO (I think) and then do something with your "smart" television but I cannot figure out how. I do get my regular HBO and am able to get Netflix and Prime Video. However the instructions they have for HBO I just cannot figure out. If anyone has some tips for a very lost low-level techie I would appreciate it.

You know I pay for HBO through my provider (RCN). For the life of me I cannot figure out how to add HBO Max as an additional streaming provider. I see that you do it through HBO (I think) and then do something with your "smart" television but I cannot figure out how. I do get my regular HBO and am able to get Netflix and Prime Video. However the instructions they have for HBO I just cannot figure out. If anyone has some tips for a very lost low-level techie I would appreciate it.

AT&T ownership has so fucked HBO. I have the same issue. A subscription gives you sign-in rights to HBO and HBO Max, but using HBO Max is a lot harder and you cannot sign into HBO Max through HBO ! I have a new LG OLED tv and AT&T made a deal with Samsung not to have an HBO Max app for WebOS that LG uses. FIOS (and RCN) do not have HBO Max apps. Android TV does have an HBO Max app so I can watch it on my cheap tv in my den native. I also have HBO through Amazon but Amazon does not have HBO Max yet, only HBO and you have to sign in through a computer to use HBO Max. I have a computer on my tv but HBO Max will not show in HD on it, only SD. I've also tried linking my HBO Max to my Hulu as Hulu is a native app on my LG, but then the HBO Max on Hulu is really weird and only has a few shows with no search. If Amazon or Hulu don't fix HBO Max. my final thing will be to get a cheap Roku stick because HBO Max is an app on it. For now I'm watching all these great new HBO Max movies in SD though through my computer tied to my tv.

See if you have Android tv. If not try Hulu (free trial week of Hulu and HBO Max). If not either hope Amazon gets HBO Max or get a Roku stick. Also HBO gives a 20% discount for subscribing directly through them.

I've had HBO 40 years- since the old rooftop antennas that were only for HBO and cost $30/mo. I hate to see HBO so messed up now. It's programming is still #1.

HBO Max is not available on every streaming device. It is available in the App Store on Apple and the equivalent Google Play store for Android for phones and tablets. Newer models of Samsung TVs can add it as well, but it may be difficult to find - I used the Bixby voice AI and asked it to find the HBO Max app, and it did. HBO recently added Roku devices and works with Amazon Fire and TIVO Stream devices. The Amazon Fire Stick is not that expensive and if you have an Amazon Prime account, very easy to set up. If you already have HBO, your login credentials for your TV provider will also work as your HBO Max login. Hope that was somewhat helpful.

AT&T ownership has so fucked HBO. I have the same issue. A subscription gives you sign-in rights to HBO and HBO Max, but using HBO Max is a lot harder and you cannot sign into HBO Max through HBO ! I have a new LG OLED tv and AT&T made a deal with Samsung not to have an HBO Max app for WebOS that LG uses. FIOS (and RCN) do not have HBO Max apps. Android TV does have an HBO Max app so I can watch it on my cheap tv in my den native. I also have HBO through Amazon but Amazon does not have HBO Max yet, only HBO and you have to sign in through a computer to use HBO Max. I have a computer on my tv but HBO Max will not show in HD on it, only SD. I've also tried linking my HBO Max to my Hulu as Hulu is a native app on my LG, but then the HBO Max on Hulu is really weird and only has a few shows with no search. If Amazon or Hulu don't fix HBO Max. my final thing will be to get a cheap Roku stick because HBO Max is an app on it. For now I'm watching all these great new HBO Max movies in SD though through my computer tied to my tv.

See if you have Android tv. If not try Hulu (free trial week of Hulu and HBO Max). If not either hope Amazon gets HBO Max or get a Roku stick. Also HBO gives a 20% discount for subscribing directly through them.

I've had HBO 40 years- since the old rooftop antennas that were only for HBO and cost $30/mo. I hate to see HBO so messed up now. It's programming is still #1.

HBO Max is not available on every streaming device. It is available in the App Store on Apple and the equivalent Google Play store for Android for phones and tablets. Newer models of Samsung TVs can add it as well, but it may be difficult to find - I used the Bixby voice AI and asked it to find the HBO Max app, and it did. HBO recently added Roku devices and works with Amazon Fire and TIVO Stream devices. The Amazon Fire Stick is not that expensive and if you have an Amazon Prime account, very easy to set up. If you already have HBO, your login credentials for your TV provider will also work as your HBO Max login. Hope that was somewhat helpful.

I called RCN and found out through an extremely sympathetic guy that RCN does not have an app for HBO Max. However, like many others I suppose, am paying for HBO. I found it so funny that RCN of course told its customers that HBO was going to be something else. It also then has you pay for just HBO and not be able to get Max. So I thought I also pay for Amazon's Prime Video. It seems from what you all have said that I can somehow pay extra and get HBO Max through Prime. Is that correct? It appeared that you pay $14.99 and that will get you HBO Max. I thought to myself that I would rather pay $14.99 for Max through Prime and then cancel HBO for which I pay $23.00 and only get plain HBO. Is that the way one does it? I have nearly run out of my Valium prescription and I do not think you can buy it on Amazon. You can buy liquor so maybe I will go that way. Thanks.

I called RCN and found out through an extremely sympathetic guy that RCN does not have an app for HBO Max. However, like many others I suppose, am paying for HBO. I found it so funny that RCN of course told its customers that HBO was going to be something else. It also then has you pay for just HBO and not be able to get Max. So I thought I also pay for Amazon's Prime Video. It seems from what you all have said that I can somehow pay extra and get HBO Max through Prime. Is that correct? It appeared that you pay $14.99 and that will get you HBO Max. I thought to myself that I would rather pay $14.99 for Max through Prime and then cancel HBO for which I pay $23.00 and only get plain HBO. Is that the way one does it? I have nearly run out of my Valium prescription and I do not think you can buy it on Amazon. You can buy liquor so maybe I will go that way. Thanks.

No, it's more complicated :oops:

HBO on Amazon Prime's app is just HBO and you have to get an HBO Max app on something else, a Firestick, or a RoKu or a computer to also get HBO Max movies. You sign on for free to the HBO Max app with your Amazon name and password. Everything on HBO is on HBO Max but nothing vice-versa.

Except- What is labeled an HBO Max app on Hulu is really just a bunch of regular HBO movies listed at random with no search feature. No HBO Max movies. 4K HD but worse than the Amazon HBO app. You can try it free for a week.

All the really good new stuff is on HBO Max only like all the new-in-theater Warner movies and series like Flight Attendant. So far I have to watch all those new releases on my computer in SD as Windows is the only real HBO Max app I have. I thought Hulu would be a work-around on my tv, it's not.

Ultimately, it's best to get a RoKu or Firestick that has the Max App if your tv isn't Android or RoKu TV, because HBO gives you a 20% discount for a 6-month subscription directly through them, unlike Amazon, Hulu, or a cable company and I'm tired of waiting for real HBO Max directly on Hulu or Amazon. (Maybe that's the point of this mess?). There's whole reddits on trying to figure this Max mess out. I still think HBO (Max) is the best streamer, especially with the 20% off deal.

No, it's more complicated :oops:

HBO on Amazon Prime's app is just HBO and you have to get an HBO Max app on something else, a Firestick, or a RoKu or a computer to also get HBO Max movies. You sign on for free to the HBO Max app with your Amazon name and password. Everything on HBO is on HBO Max but nothing vice-versa.

Except- What is labeled an HBO Max app on Hulu is really just a bunch of regular HBO movies listed at random with no search feature. No HBO Max movies. 4K HD but worse than the Amazon HBO app. You can try it free for a week.

All the really good new stuff is on HBO Max only like all the new-in-theater Warner movies and series like Flight Attendant. So far I have to watch all those new releases on my computer in SD as Windows is the only real HBO Max app I have. I thought Hulu would be a work-around on my tv, it's not.

Ultimately, it's best to get a RoKu or Firestick that has the Max App if your tv isn't Android or RoKu TV, because HBO gives you a 20% discount for a 6-month subscription directly through them, unlike Amazon, Hulu, or a cable company and I'm tired of waiting for real HBO Max directly on Hulu or Amazon. (Maybe that's the point of this mess?). There's whole reddits on trying to figure this Max mess out. I still think HBO (Max) is the best streamer, especially with the 20% off deal.

Thanks but what exactly is a Roku or Firestick? They (it) sounds like a dildo. From what you mention it is like on my RCN where I can click on to a list of various apps including Pandora, Netflix, Prime Video (Amazon), Hulu, and a few others. Unfortunately I really do not like watching things on my computer but I suppose if I have to I would just have to buck up and do it. Perhaps it is because it is because I am just too old to feel comfortable to see things on my computer.

Thanks but what exactly is a Roku or Firestick? They (it) sounds like a dildo. From what you mention it is like on my RCN where I can click on to a list of various apps including Pandora, Netflix, Prime Video (Amazon), Hulu, and a few others. Unfortunately I really do not like watching things on my computer but I suppose if I have to I would just have to buck up and do it. Perhaps it is because it is because I am just too old to feel comfortable to see things on my computer.

A Roku stick or Fire stick is a small attachment you put on an HDMI port on your tv. (If you have a smart tv Roku, Fire or Android tv may be built in). The stick has it's own remote control to work it. In effect it's a mini-computer that receives channels over your wifi. They have apps including true HBO Max. They are cheap- $20 to $90.

However, if you do not have a smart tv you really should get one asap. They are ridiculously cheap and outrageously better. 4K, HDR color, Dolby Vision, etc. I paid $100 for a 43 inch one for my quest room that has some features (like Android tv) my new $2000 living room tv doesn't have. New tv's are also extremely thin and lightweight and use very little electricity.

Broadcast and cable tv are pretty much obsolete and smart tv's are today's "tv's". You'll never miss RCN or cable.

Edited by tassojunior

A Roku stick or Fire stick is a small attachment you put on an HDMI port on your tv. (If you have a smart tv Roku, Fire or Android tv may be built in). The stick has it's own remote control to work it. In effect it's a mini-computer that receives channels over your wifi. They have apps including true HBO Max. They are cheap- $20 to $90.

However, if you do not have a smart tv you really should get one asap. They are ridiculously cheap and outrageously better. 4K, HDR color, Dolby Vision, etc. I paid $100 for a 43 inch one for my quest room that has some features (like Android tv) my new $2000 living room tv doesn't have. New tv's are also extremely thin and lightweight and use very little electricity.

Broadcast and cable tv are pretty much obsolete and smart tv's are today's "tv's". You'll never miss RCN or cable.

I will have to see if I cannot get it through my condo building. Because I get my phone and computer through the building I am not sure if I can "go it alone." Somehow I get Wifi but I am not sure how. How do you know if you have a smart TV?

I will have to see if I cannot get it through my condo building. Because I get my phone and computer through the building I am not sure if I can "go it alone." Somehow I get Wifi but I am not sure how. How do you know if you have a smart TV?

so long as you have decent speed internet & wifi you're fine. your smart tv or roku or fire stick sign in to it and give you all the apps- Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Disney, HBO Max etc. You choose which to subscribe to.

you would know if you have a smart tv because it would have Netflix and Prime buttons on the remote and would open on a screen with a number of apps to choose from. most tvs sold in the last 3-4 years are smart tvs. much cheaper and much better than older tvs. and 4K HDR pictures can be stunning.

so long as you have decent speed internet & wifi you're fine. your smart tv or roku or fire stick sign in to it and give you all the apps- Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Disney, HBO Max etc. You choose which to subscribe to.

you would know if you have a smart tv because it would have Netflix and Prime buttons on the remote and would open on a screen with a number of apps to choose from. most tvs sold in the last 3-4 years are smart tvs. much cheaper and much better than older tvs. and 4K HDR pictures can be stunning.

I have a feeling that I do not have a smart TV. It can get the apps by going through app management seemingly furnished by my provider (RCN) the apps are not on my remote. Perhaps this should be the impetus to get a new television although the one I have is fine. As I mentioned I get regular HBO (which I pay for), Netflix (on my sister's plan), and can get Prime. So perhaps I should make RCN think about what they are offering and how. I am perplexed why it (RCN) is not offering HBO Max.

I have a feeling that I do not have a smart TV. It can get the apps by going through app management seemingly furnished by my provider (RCN) the apps are not on my remote. Perhaps this should be the impetus to get a new television although the one I have is fine. As I mentioned I get regular HBO (which I pay for), Netflix (on my sister's plan), and can get Prime. So perhaps I should make RCN think about what they are offering and how. I am perplexed why it (RCN) is not offering HBO Max.

I've gotten rid of both my "fine" tv's this past year and switched to 4K smart tv's. The cost vs. feature balance is off-the-board in favor of switching now. Netflix and Amazon have tons of amazing 4K etc shows too. Almost like the step up from black-and-white to color in many shows and so much cheaper and easier. If you like the picture on your present tv , then assuming it has an HDMI input, you can add a Roku, or Firestick pretty cheaply ($25?) to get more apps including HBOMax.

Edited by tassojunior

I watched It’s a Sin last night, was hooked and ended up watching the whole thing. I came out in ‘78 so can completely identify with what they were going through as gay youths. I have been haunted by memories of lost friends since seeing this, one who lost his mind not unlike Collin, and particularly a friend I knew when I got sober who held on long enough so that his mom who had cancer would die first. He couldn’t even sit in a chair without a pillow since he had no body fat or muscle left. He died quietly with friends they day after his mom passed.

Peace to you Ron, me dear friend.

I've gotten rid of both my "fine" tv's this past year and switched to 4K smart tv's. The cost vs. feature balance is off-the-board in favor of switching now. Netflix and Amazon have tons of amazing 4K etc shows too. Almost like the step up from black-and-white to color in many shows and so much cheaper and easier. If you like the picture on your present tv , then assuming it has an HDMI input, you can add a Roku, or Firestick pretty cheaply ($25?) to get more apps including HBOMax.

Thank you so much with all this info. As you can see I am a bit behind the times. I am still mailing my Netflix discs (plus the streaming through my sister - although you can get a lot of old stuff through the old Netflix selections). I take it you can get the same TV selections like PBS, CNN, MSNBC on the smart TV also. Unfortunately I would say 75% of my watching is on PBS and MSNBC and I would not want to lose them. Thanks again for putting up with my questioning. :)

Thank you so much with all this info. As you can see I am a bit behind the times. I am still mailing my Netflix discs (plus the streaming through my sister - although you can get a lot of old stuff through the old Netflix selections). I take it you can get the same TV selections like PBS, CNN, MSNBC on the smart TV also. Unfortunately I would say 75% of my watching is on PBS and MSNBC and I would not want to lose them. Thanks again for putting up with my questioning. :)