Experience with Noom

CheckCar
This topic is 1181 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Inspired by the thread on whether Rx is worthwhile, I’m wondering if any forum members have tried Noom, and if so, what your take on it is. As I wait in my house for the vaccine to become available, it might be nice to shed a few pounds if possible. Any insights on Noom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

thanks for starting this, @CheckCar. ironically, I have had the app for at least a year but kept stopping myself when it asks me to pay for a 3-month trial. the premise of the app sounds like it could work but also interested in what others have experienced with it.

I haven't been able to stomach it either... ?

DirtyCloseClownanemonefish-max-1mb.gif

John from the Noom commercials annoys me for some reason.

I did Precision Nutrition a couple of years ago with much success. The concept seems similar to Noom. I think it cost me $400 for the year.

I was able to keep the weight off until the pandemic hit since I stopped going to the gym, stress eating, and emergency surgery over the summer.

Edited by dcguy20

I had to take a look at Noom to see what all the fuss was about and I can say the intake process uses every trick of psychological manipulation in the book. Based on that alone, I wouldn't bother.

If you need more, consider that in reality, their requirements for hiring coaches is almost non-existent, it appears a couple of years in any wellness job and some non-credit wellness training is enough. It's not zero, but it's not much and they don't pay much either, so you have to wonder how much turnover they have.

I have had the app for over a year now; it just renewed a few months ago; I have tried several times to use it, but I quickly lose interest too; I think I will see a nutritionist for guidance; it would be great to have someone to report back to, and that's why I was interested in trying Noom, but I am going to stop the authorization to pay the cost.

I have had the app for over a year now; it just renewed a few months ago; I have tried several times to use it, but I quickly lose interest too; I think I will see a nutritionist for guidance; it would be great to have someone to report back to, and that's why I was interested in trying Noom, but I am going to stop the authorization to pay the cost.

I agree. I'm trying it now and I don't see that it is going to work for me in losing this COVID 25. What has worked for me in the past was seeing a nutritionist and a trainer, paying money to a person and not an app, and having someone to report to who could offer helpful suggestions and strategies. I understand the philosophy behind NOOM, but I already know the science and don't need the psychological theory.

I tried it. Total waste of time and money in my opinion. I felt that any responses I got were auto responses rather than being from an actual “coach”. I got nothing out of it and canceled after about three months. Common sense diet and exercise are free and if you want to keep track of your food and exercise, you can do it just as easily in a spreadsheet. Also for free.

I have been working with a nutritionist for about 6 months. I developed my own tracking spreadsheet that I logged everything I ate. I believe in a caloric deficit for loosing weight, but try as I might to stay within my caloric, protein and carb goals, I didn't lose the weight. I learned alot about eating and my eating specifically, but I never lost the weight. I tried Noom on a month free trial and actually lost some of the weight. I especially liked the tracking part. I specifically did not like the "auto response" coaching, though I did enjoy reading the 5 minutes blog daily.

Been thinking about giving it another try.