What's the very worst musical you ever saw?

Merboy
This topic is 748 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It’s competition between “Stop the World I Want to Get Off” an Anthony Newley creation and “Promises Promises”. Both date from the late sixties early seventies respectively.

"Promises Promises" That was the first "Broadway" musical that I ever saw, even though it was staged in the Spokane, WA Colosseum back in the 1970's. The seats were folding chairs placed over the ice on the colosseum floor so they would be ready for hockey on Saturday night.

It got better after that. LOL

Ever heard of Richard Rodgers and Steven Sondheim? They wrote “Do I Hear a Waltz” for Broadway in 1965. played 220 performances and bombed. I saw it in Pasadena maybe 20 years ago - big production - by intermission half the audience left. Should have followed them. Gawd awful.

Ever heard of Richard Rodgers and Steven Sondheim? They wrote “Do I Hear a Waltz” for Broadway in 1965. played 220 performances and bombed. I saw it in Pasadena maybe 20 years ago - big production - by intermission half the audience left. Should have followed them. Gawd awful.

"No Strings"was Rodgers' only musical success near the end of his life

OMG...I can't believe I never heard of Broadway HD! Thank you, @Merboy, for mentioning it. I'm going to subscribe when I get home

I love the play that goes wrong and also the bankrobbery that went wrong and I was a third play similar to it in London. The company that produced those plays has an entire season on broadway HD.

If you like broadway HD I would recomend watching Great Performances on PBS. Lea Selonga has a great concert she did at Sydney Opera House and she has this gay nurse sing a Whole New World with her and he totally lost it when he was selected to sing with her. Also the Anne Richards play and Driving miss daisy are part of it.

I'm watching Broadway HD right now and Miss Saigon but it's not with Lea Salonga. I think there are some moments that are superb, but I keep pausing it and putting off watching the rest.

Huge lea fan her (loved her in Aligiance). If you go on PBS site or the PBS app her concert at the Sydney opera house is available.

Stephen Ward. Huge disappointment and went to see it in London since I was always a huge fan of Andrew Lloyd Weber. Music was awful and we left at intermission. It only last in the west end about six months and never made it to the USA.

My hotel is only a couple doors over from the theater and the show the preceeded it was there for a couple years and Beautiful was the show that took over for Stephen Ward and was there a few years and the Tina musical has been there the past couple years.

This was a musical that should have never been made and can't believe Weber would write something that awful.

So far I've seen about 10...

Carousel (1994) - the best - the Best - the BEST I tell you. My favorite childhood memory.

Beauty and the Beast (1994) - a 90s Disney kid's Dream Come True.

Grease (1994) - Rosie O'Donnell played Rizzo. The cast was nice after the show.

Show Boat (1995) - excellent as well, fabulous company

Ragtime (1999) - incredible, moved my mother to tears

42nd Street (2001) - fantastic, just a grand ol' time from start to finish

The Phantom of the Opera (2002?) - mixed feelings - set and costumes were superb of course but there were areas that bored me to death.

Thoroughly Modern Millie (2002 or 2003) - good, I don't recall if I saw it with Sutton Foster or not but the guy that played Jimmy was the understudy

Wicked (saw it twice) - Fun, creative - the book is hilarious at parts

Pippin (2013) - Just wonderful, so glad I was able to see it.

So far I've seen about 10...

Carousel (1994) - the best - the Best - the BEST I tell you. My favorite childhood memory.

Beauty and the Beast (1994) - a 90s Disney kid's Dream Come True.

Grease (1994) - Rosie O'Donnell played Rizzo. The cast was nice after the show.

Show Boat (1995) - excellent as well, fabulous company

Ragtime (1999) - incredible, moved my mother to tears

42nd Street (2001) - fantastic, just a grand ol' time from start to finish

The Phantom of the Opera (2002?) - mixed feelings - set and costumes were superb of course but there were areas that bored me to death.

Thoroughly Modern Millie (2002 or 2003) - good, I don't recall if I saw it with Sutton Foster or not but the guy that played Jimmy was the understudy

Wicked (saw it twice) - Fun, creative - the book is hilarious at parts

Pippin (2013) - Just wonderful, so glad I was able to see it.

I never had any desire to see 42nd Street but saw it a few years ago when it was playing at the Royal Drury in London, a few doors from my hotel and noticed Sheena Easton was staring so had to see it and loved the show. Sheena was a bitch after the show she exited the start door and only had about a dozen people wanting autographs (someone had even brought a vinyl cover for her to sign) and she exited with a couple people and refused to talk to anyone.

I never had any desire to see 42nd Street but saw it a few years ago when it was playing at the Royal Drury in London, a few doors from my hotel and noticed Sheena Easton was staring so had to see it and loved the show. Sheena was a bitch after the show she exited the start door and only had about a dozen people wanting autographs (someone had even brought a vinyl cover for her to sign) and she exited with a couple people and refused to talk to anyone.

Who's Sheena Easton? (Sorry I only know of "Sheena, Queen of the Slut People" from The Golden Girls but I'm assuming that wasn't Sheena Easton.)