Trixie
This topic is 5764 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

We're going to hear a lot more about this date over the next four years. According to the Mayan calendar (which is terribly accurate) as well as a few other assorted prophets and mystics (whose collective accuracy is debatable) the World as we know it is to end in ths year, on or around December 11th, I believe.

End-of-the-world theories are always interesting, but in this case Miss Science has chimed in with the possibly relevant information that the date specfied by the Mayan calendar happens to be when the Earth, Sun, and center of our galaxy align in a way that happens only every 25,000 years or so. So there.

What does this mean? Anything? Nothing? Everything? In the interest of providing fun conversation, I propose the following theory: On December whatever, 2012, when the earth aligns with the Black Hole at the center of the Milky Way, the polar axis (What is the plural of axis?) will shift due to a gravitational pull from said black hole, causing the planet to turn ass over noggin. Such an abrupt change is sure to trigger heavy geological and meteorlogical events inconvenient to life as we know it, and the parade known as Humanity will be rained on, heavily.

BUT... The wealthy and powerful are already clued in to these events. The Interntional Space Station is being expanded, and the Space Shuttle system is being overhauled and improved at a rapid rate. Why? The "cream of the crop" have plans to be whisked away to orbit while the cataclysm takes place, waiting it out in zero gravity. Eventually, when the dust settles, they will return to earth to refound civilization.

As you might guess, I enjoy science fiction... anyone else care to offer up a 2012 theory?

Philip K. Trix

We're going to hear a lot more about this date over the next four years. According to the Mayan calendar (which is terribly accurate) as well as a few other assorted prophets and mystics (whose collective accuracy is debatable) the World as we know it is to end in ths year, on or around December 11th, I believe.

End-of-the-world theories are always interesting, but in this case Miss Science has chimed in with the possibly relevant information that the date specfied by the Mayan calendar happens to be when the Earth, Sun, and center of our galaxy align in a way that happens only every 25,000 years or so. So there.

What does this mean? Anything? Nothing? Everything? In the interest of providing fun conversation, I propose the following theory: On December whatever, 2012, when the earth aligns with the Black Hole at the center of the Milky Way, the polar axis (What is the plural of axis?) will shift due to a gravitational pull from said black hole, causing the planet to turn ass over noggin. Such an abrupt change is sure to trigger heavy geological and meteorlogical events inconvenient to life as we know it, and the parade known as Humanity will be rained on, heavily.

BUT... The wealthy and powerful are already clued in to these events. The Interntional Space Station is being expanded, and the Space Shuttle system is being overhauled and improved at a rapid rate. Why? The "cream of the crop" have plans to be whisked away to orbit while the cataclysm takes place, waiting it out in zero gravity. Eventually, when the dust settles, they will return to earth to refound civilization.

As you might guess, I enjoy science fiction... anyone else care to offer up a 2012 theory?

Philip K. Trix

Guest Merlin

The earth, as part of the galaxy, revolves around the black hole and is thus always aligned with the black hole, just ast it it always aligned with the sun.

Guest Merlin

The earth, as part of the galaxy, revolves around the black hole and is thus always aligned with the black hole, just ast it it always aligned with the sun.

I have heard the end of the world 2012 stories before but I think more beliveable sources say the Mayan calendar does come to an end in 2012 but only because it is the end of a cycle. The cycle starts over in 2012. Whatever catacylsmic events that occur then have little or nothing to do with it being 2012.

The theory that the earth turns 180 degrees on its vertical axis every 25,000 years or so certainly sounds ominous which would cause world wide floods supposedly because the firmament would turn faster than the water (oceans) could keep up. When the water sought its' own level there would be massive tides and flooding. The main problem with this theory is there is no evidence of such an occurence happening before. The Biblical great flood seems to have been a localized event.

Repent, the end is near has been a popular refrain forever. Your particular end is certainly near, in the historical perspective sense. In other words, if you have a cold, leave it untreated and it will depart in about 14 days; treat it with every remedy known to man and it will depart in 2 weeks. You will live about 80-100 years unless you die sooner from accident or disease or murder.

I like science fiction too. Remember there is no reality, only perception.

Best regards,

KMEM

I have heard the end of the world 2012 stories before but I think more beliveable sources say the Mayan calendar does come to an end in 2012 but only because it is the end of a cycle. The cycle starts over in 2012. Whatever catacylsmic events that occur then have little or nothing to do with it being 2012.

The theory that the earth turns 180 degrees on its vertical axis every 25,000 years or so certainly sounds ominous which would cause world wide floods supposedly because the firmament would turn faster than the water (oceans) could keep up. When the water sought its' own level there would be massive tides and flooding. The main problem with this theory is there is no evidence of such an occurence happening before. The Biblical great flood seems to have been a localized event.

Repent, the end is near has been a popular refrain forever. Your particular end is certainly near, in the historical perspective sense. In other words, if you have a cold, leave it untreated and it will depart in about 14 days; treat it with every remedy known to man and it will depart in 2 weeks. You will live about 80-100 years unless you die sooner from accident or disease or murder.

I like science fiction too. Remember there is no reality, only perception.

Best regards,

KMEM

2012, the year we make contact?

I've been interested in the Mayan end of time for a while now, and it's been getting more and more attention lately. Except for confusing Mayan and Inca every other sentence the latest Indiana Jones movie had elements of what I'd first heard.

To this day, the Mayan calendar is much more accurate than any other one, and shows an understanding of astronomy that is very hard to explain. They have drawings depicting this information having been given to them by somebody with an elongated head.

The calendar goes in cycles, and we are approaching the rollover of the biggest cycle. The end of a cycle does not necessarily mean the end of the world, but does mean great change or enlightenment.

One school of thought that combines those two facts is the return of the beings with elongated heads on that date.

2012, the year we make contact?

I've been interested in the Mayan end of time for a while now, and it's been getting more and more attention lately. Except for confusing Mayan and Inca every other sentence the latest Indiana Jones movie had elements of what I'd first heard.

To this day, the Mayan calendar is much more accurate than any other one, and shows an understanding of astronomy that is very hard to explain. They have drawings depicting this information having been given to them by somebody with an elongated head.

The calendar goes in cycles, and we are approaching the rollover of the biggest cycle. The end of a cycle does not necessarily mean the end of the world, but does mean great change or enlightenment.

One school of thought that combines those two facts is the return of the beings with elongated heads on that date.

What must be remembered is that the Mayan calendar was created and calculated to record important dates in Mayan cultural and religious proceedings. I've heard many theories about what's supposed to happen on 12/22/2012, everything from the end of the world to the appearance of a new enlightenment. My personal favorite is that the reason the calendar ends on that date is because time will no longer matter, either we will become immortal or someone will have created and tested a time travel machine.

What must be remembered is that the Mayan calendar was created and calculated to record important dates in Mayan cultural and religious proceedings. I've heard many theories about what's supposed to happen on 12/22/2012, everything from the end of the world to the appearance of a new enlightenment. My personal favorite is that the reason the calendar ends on that date is because time will no longer matter, either we will become immortal or someone will have created and tested a time travel machine.

Archived