PBS Doc.: Fiddler on the Roof

WilliamM
This topic is 1246 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Wonderful! And greatly needed now

I remember the Broadway revival with Zero Mostel, but glad they they cast someone else for the film. Although Zero Mostel was rightfully a big star on Broadway.

The PBS documentary is about two hours long and covers the pre New York tryout, they terror that Director Jerry Robbins caused. And the lines outside the theater for tickets when the rave reviews came out.

Robbins also directed West Side Story, Peter Pan and Gypsy

Added: at the performance I saw Zero Mostel made believe he could not remember his daughters names.

It’s a beautifully crafted musical and when well-cast, is the perfect blend of sadness, joy, and laughter and so many great tunes.

Topol, who played Tevye in the film, played the role on tour about 10 years ago - really glad I got to see him. But a friend who worked on the tour said that his understudy went on at least once every couple of weeks, and the curtain came down a good fifteen minutes earlier when he did...

• 3 weeks later...