Le Nozze di Figaro

Epigonos
This topic is 5818 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hey opera fans I need some help. I am a total Mozart nut. I have three older DVD sets of Le Nozze di Figaro.

1. London - Sir Georg Solti and the London Philharmonic Orchestra

with Kiri Te Kanawa, Lucia Popp, Frederica von Stade, Samuel

Ramey, Thomas Allen and Kurt Mott, no date

2. EMI Classics - Herbert von Karajan and the Vienna Philharmonic

with Erich Kunz, Irmgard Seefried, George London, Elizabeth

Schwarzkopf, and Sena Jurinac, 1952

3. EMI - Carlo Maria Giulini and the Philharmonia Orchestra with

Giuseppi Taddei, Anna Moffo, Eberhard Wachter, Elizabeth

Schwarzkipf and Fiorenza Cossoto, 1961 (my absolute favorite)

Now guys my question is that if I am looking for something more current WHAT WOULD YOU RECOMMEND?????

Of the three, I'd take the Giulini as well. And I'd probably stick with it. I'm no fan of Giulini, but that IS an excellent rendering.

I haven't heard better, but also haven't been looking so I'll be interested in the suggestions that come up.

FWIW if you want a good 2-CD set for the car to keep you awake on a long drive, look for a title called "Thunder and Lightning". (It's on Amazon.com) Before his death, Solti worked with engineers to make a "greatest hits" set of his recordings with CSO. It's glorious.

It's two CDs of Solti/CSO playing the "big blows" they were known for. For a classical music lover, it's like high-energy disco. It's everything big and boisterous that we always loved about Sir Georg.

Highly recommended for a long drive.

Guest backbaygayguy

Yes, 3 is a favorite.

How about this: Mozart - Le Nozze di Figaro / Sanford Sylvan, Susan Larson, Jeanne Ommerle, Sue Ellen Kuzma, Frank Kelley, Peter Sellars, Craig Smith, Wiener Symphoniker (1990)

Can't beat the late Craig Smith and these singers -- even if you don't like the Sellars staging (perhaps the weakest of his 3 da Ponte stagings). Incredible on the small stage at Purchase, but also enjoyed it several times in larger settings.

I'm assuming you mean "CD sets" not "DVD sets" as I don't think that any of the recordings you mention are on DVD.

I very much like live recordings and there are quite a few great sets from radio broadcasts.

Another one I would recommend would be the Erich Kleiber set from the 1950s.

Another more recent would be the Levine from the mid-90s. I'll look up cast information and such and post later.

Mark

I think you must mean you have those performances on CD, as the Giulini is not on DVD I don't believe. (But I agree that it is a great performance). In fact all those are great performances. I don't know of any recently recorded performances that rival those, but you might find a good live performance. The Met's performances with Fleming and Terfel have been notably good. Keenlyside as the Count, also Harteros as the Countess -- but it might be difficult to find a complete cast of the caliber you are comparing them to.

Regarding Le Nozze di Figaro, the Giulini has always gotten good press. I personally always liked the old 1950's set with Siepi on Decca.

For something up-to-date I might suggest the Harmonia Mundi set under Renee Jacobs. I have not heard it, but it has gotten excellent reviews. Of course Jacobs has a penchant for being unconventional and he uses "Original" insturments... but he is certainly never dull.

I have a personal "thing" for Mozart's Don Giovanni and the recent Jacobs set has gotten good reviews as well... I am tempted to purchase it, but would prefer to audition more than the small bits available on various internet sites prior to doing so. I am sure the same caviat applies to Figaro.

Archived