Love nest, or den of sin?

This topic is 1336 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Well, the seller and I have reached final agreement on my new lovely 4-bedroom home in the Hollywood Hills. The house needs about $255,000 in repairs, and the seller agree to cover $175,000 of those costs (mostly for fixing/rebuilding an illegal retaining wall that's barely holding up the pool). I'm quite pleased with the offer. I love the home's location near the north entrance of Runyon Canyon Park. I'm meeting my heartthrob "Lindoro" the hotel clerk for dinner next Friday. For any of you who missed my prior string, this is that story:

https://www.companyofmen.org/threads/have-i-been-going-to-too-many-19th-century-operas.160374/

If things go as well as I'd hope for in my wildest dreams, this could quite possibly be our love nest. Otherwise, who knows, maybe my den of sin? Maybe I can snag some hunks who need a cool drink after hiking up Runyon Canyon Park? (Please no guesses as to the actual address on this forum). Well, lots of lovey-dovey texts from him in the last week. Could I end up living a life I've only dreamed of? My main worry is he has no idea how old I am, although I do know his age from his modelmayhem profile (he's 29). Will I have to troll the park?

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2F4e%2Feb%2F0c7c489ae86a8de06ace7a9941ca%2Fla-1470162653-snap-photo

?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcalifornia-times-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fc9%2Feb%2F932cb089448e75745aee2174a9b0%2Fla-me-runyon-canyon-pictures-20160331-002

41592960b44e43989c4007b70e649a96_md.jpg

37C7E61300000578-0-image-m-46_1472717474567.jpg

Congrats on working out the deal!

I’m curious...”illegal retaining wall”...does that mean unpermitted? Not built to code? Encroaching on neighbors?

My only advice is to play it coy with additional property details. It's not altogether difficult for someone to piece together where you might live, especially if they know how to pull building permits.

That said, I do hope you get your champagne wishes and caviar dreams.

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas

Congrats on working out the deal!

I’m curious...”illegal retaining wall”...does that mean unpermitted? Not built to code? Encroaching on neighbors?

Yes on the first two questions and no on the last one....

Just for some perspective, a friend of mine bought a 4 bedroom house north of Sunset Blvd that had a pool in the back yard and a view to the Pacific Ocean for $250,000, as I recall, give or take a few thou. It was in need of some updating cosmetically but otherwise sound. I visited just after he moved in in 1995. I had also been to his previous house in Laurel Canyon the year before which he had bought for under $200,000 a few years earlier. Boy that’s 25 years ago. But around that time I could buy a Mercedes for around $50k and did shortly thereafter. I still have that car but if I wanted to replace it it wouldn’t cost too much more. Real estate has been a great investment over these years but buying today carries a lot more risk IMO.

Real estate has been a great investment over these years but buying today carries a lot more risk IMO.

Sold a house 15 years ago during the housing boom for almost double what I paid just a few years prior. Instead of rolling that profit over into a bigger place, as most were doing, I downsized a lot, and was able to pay cash for the new place. Today, after a roller coaster housing market, prices in our building have only recently approached (not quite yet) the same level they were in 2005. I don't fret about it because it's been cheap to live here, but more important, it's been a good home for me during this period of my life. The way I look at it, you have to live somewhere, so it's so much more than an investment.

@Unicorn . Wishing you health and happiness in you new home.

My only advice is to play it coy with additional property details. It's not altogether difficult for someone to piece together where you might live, especially if they know how to pull building permits.

That said, I do hope you get your champagne wishes and caviar dreams.

Thanks. I've probably left enough information on this forum for an enterprising person (or NSA, etc.) to find out who I am. What I don't want, however, is for that information to be common knowledge or easily discoverable. That's why I asked for people not to speculate on this forum as to the actual address. I'm not going to run for public office, but I would like my identity private from this forum (although I have met some members from here, and am not completely concerned that anyone finds out).

Thanks. I've probably left enough information on this forum for an enterprising person (or NSA, etc.) to find out who I am. What I don't want, however, is for that information to be common knowledge or easily discoverable. That's why I asked for people not to speculate on this forum as to the actual address. I'm not going to run for public office, but I would like my identity private from this forum (although I have met some members from here, and am not completely concerned that anyone finds out).

I get it, but if you plant a seed in a public forum, don't be surprised if weeds start to grow.

That said, I hope this home is a happy, welcoming and joyous one :)