Massage and Covid

Peterpeter
This topic is 1322 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has been asked an answered a few times in this forum already. You're going to get a multitude of responses. Mine is this: is that massage worth exposing yourself, your friends and family, and other members of your community to a deadly virus? There's no massage where someone can stay six feet away from you, and even if you both wear masks (unlikely) there's no certainty that the practitioner is doing a thorough job of cleaning the space. It just seems super reckless and somewhat selfish to ignore all the science and press on in this reality.

While i agree that there is some sort of mystery virus. And there still seems to be a lot of hear say and confusion...Even for scientist. If it is as deadly as they are saying it is. They wouldn’t still be cramming people on airplanes which certainly is a confined space and no distance. How does that make sense yet you can’t go to a restaurant with or concert where windows can be open and fresh air can circulate... but airplanes...That seems like a death trap to me. However people are still traveling and going about their business. Travel should be shut down if it’s that severe. Didn’t they just come out with another report that it’s airborne so who’s really “safe” at this point. I think you have to make the judgement for yourself. If you want a massage from a therapist why not do the same thing every other business is doing. Get a thermometer check the temperature, and ask those irrelevant covid related questions. A mask is only gonna work if y’all are both sick. I say invest in a air purifier or make sure your therapist has one.

People are still going to the dentist and doctors and have been fine. So i advise Going with a therapist you know is clean.

At this point the science is pretty clear. The death rate is known.

Masks have proven to be effective in limiting the spread.

Most air purifiers off the shelf are not HEPA compliant so wont help you much. Those that are, are expensive and require frequent maintenance.

You are not just making the judgement for yourself but also those around you that you could infect.

The masseur could be infected, regardless of how clean he is.

See.. the problem for me with all of it, Is people are picking and choosing what they deem to be safe and acceptable... there’s so much inconsistency in the information going around.

Clearly scientists don’t have all the answers, anybody that has died during this pandemic in the hospital they are gonna say that it was “covid related”

Now they are also saying that 6 feet isn’t enough to “protect you”

There was one point they said that the virus doesn’t transfer from surface to surface as easily as people think.

Bottom line, if the virus is as deadly as they say then everybody needs to have their ass inside still. No outside eating, no public transportation.

The city’s should be going around spraying disinfectant on everything outside.

Yes. The masseur can be infected, the cashier can be infected, the person making your food could be infected, the person delivering your mail can be infected. I mean the list goes on...And by clean if they are both getting tested or have been that’s their choice if the therapist and client wanna follow through with the session. They just started back production on TV and film everyone gets tested every week. I still stand by what i said. There are ways of livijg around this.

Why are airlines open?

It’s interesting that any and everything involving self care or establishments that are proven to keep you healthy and fit would be shut down.

Crazy how USA all of a sudden became the epicenter.

Most of the U.S. problem is low mask-wearing rate (encouraged by certain politicians) and lack of testing (and lack of quick results). Plenty of other countries have gotten the virus under control. Meanwhile we have lots of people who refuse to wear a mask for even the short time it takes to get groceries. Not to mention super-spreader events like the South Dakota motorcycle rally, the Ozarks huge pool party, certain maskless political rallies, colleges reopening for in-person classes and expecting college kids not to behave like college kids...

But enough about that - I’ve gotten 3 massages in DC since June and the masks seem to have worked even in that situation. It’s Sept. 27 and I’m still here. ???

Wondering how comfortable people are with getting massages and more. What precaution

No guarantees, but here are some helpful precautions:

• You and the masseur should both wear a mask. Protective glasses/googles may be a good idea depending on your preference for precaution vs. comfort.
  • Find a public health center or private hospital where you can get a COVID test before and after the session.
  • Limit your selection criterion to those who have a cleaning/sanitation procedure, though this is not a guarantee.
  • If possible, do the massage in an outdoor setting to reduce risk of exposure.
  • No MT that includes close body contact for anal/oral contact. Doing so could increase your risk of getting the virus.
  • Wash your hands and shower before and after the session, and sanitize objects/clothes you bring with you to the session.
  • Be able to isolate yourself after this session for 14 days to avoid potential asymptomatic spread or wear a mask at home with roommates/loved ones.

See.. the problem for me with all of it, Is people are picking and choosing what they deem to be safe and acceptable... there’s so much inconsistency in the information going around.

Clearly scientists don’t have all the answers, anybody that has died during this pandemic in the hospital they are gonna say that it was “covid related”

Now they are also saying that 6 feet isn’t enough to “protect you”

There was one point they said that the virus doesn’t transfer from surface to surface as easily as people think.

Bottom line, if the virus is as deadly as they say then everybody needs to have their ass inside still. No outside eating, no public transportation.

The city’s should be going around spraying disinfectant on everything outside.

Yes. The masseur can be infected, the cashier can be infected, the person making your food could be infected, the person delivering your mail can be infected. I mean the list goes on...And by clean if they are both getting tested or have been that’s their choice if the therapist and client wanna follow through with the session. They just started back production on TV and film everyone gets tested every week. I still stand by what i said. There are ways of livijg around this.

Why are airlines open?

It’s interesting that any and everything involving self care or establishments that are proven to keep you healthy and fit would be shut down.

Crazy how USA all of a sudden became the epicenter.

tenor.gif?itemid=4633660

This is what I send to people who contacts me:

COVID PRECAUTIONS:

- U.V. Light System in the massage room that kills Virus / Bacteria ..2x a Day

- Head Cradle instead of using 1 cover now uses 3 covers..

- Prior to Appt Arrival Time: Disinfectant Spray Gun with UV Lights will also be used on Table / Sheets / Doors etc...

- Mask(s) are Provided Upon Your Request...

So many wrong things being brought up here.....again. Let me break it down for you.

• Screening body temp at the door and asking questions won't help. Not everyone has a fever or two other symptoms.
  • Of course the science changes as we know more about the virus and how it spreads. This is not inconsistency. Recommendations change because there are new data to support them. Politics occasionally influences what the CDC says, but not by much.
  • The disease is deadly, or can make you really miserable for a long time or even leave permanent damage. Some of us will get more sick than others and there isn't always an explanation. People are still out and about because we all need to do stuff outside once in a while. It is a risk. There is no way the government can disinfect all public places.
  • There is no way a masseuse can keep his studio clean enough to not spread the virus form one client or from themselves to another client, or vice versa.
  • Testing before and after a session doesn't necessarily help. If you've had a session, just self-isolate for 10 days. The world welcomes you back if you're still not sick by then.
  • When you decide to take a risk, you automatically bring those around you for the ride.
  • People still travel because they have to. Airlines still operate so they can pay their staff. And apparently they still have lay off a crap ton of people. Traveling is still a huge risk and yes travel really should have been shut down. In some Asian countries with almost no new cases nowadays you can't fly in without facing a 2-week state quarantine.
  • Don't talk about how "COVID deaths aren't really COVID deaths" if you don't have a basic concept of how people get sick and die. A great analogy I found on Twitter "I have Type 1 diabetes. I am healthy enough to run ultramarathons. If I get attacked by a bear & the ICU has trouble managing my blood sugar while caring for my bear attack wounds...and I die... the bear is the cause of my death."
  • If you just need to get tested so you can feel better before or after a session, please stay away from public health clinics and go to your own doctors. Save those tests for people who truly need them but cannot afford to get them.

You are most welcome, Mr. Kyle_paul11. However, you are still wrong about a few things. I have literally been living and breathing all things COVID-19 and working 80-hour weeks trying to save lives of the millions of people I serve since this whole damn thing began. With that, I think it's fair to say that what I pull out of my brain is much more than hearsay. And it's all about health. Not sure why you don't think it has not been. If it had not been about health I wouldn't have had to work this hard to keep my people COVID-19 free. Anyway, it does not seem though that any reasoning could convince you otherwise. I'll just focus on providing my professional recommendation here for those who are interested in what I have to share.

Edited to add some more info: Mr. Kyle or Paul or whatever this name is, mentioned on the next page that if COVID-19 is so bad why did schools open? Welp, if he had read any news at all he would have known that quite a few schools and large universities that initially opened had to switch back to doing everything online after only a few days due to the explosion of cases among students and staff. I would have created another post, but do not wish to continue on and on with this lovely banter with him.

Edited by kenomora

So many wrong things being brought up here.....again. Let me break it down for you.

• Screening body temp at the door and asking questions won't help. Not everyone has a fever or two other symptoms.
  • Of course the science changes as we know more about the virus and how it spreads. This is not inconsistency. Recommendations change because there are new data to support them. Politics occasionally influences what the CDC says, but not by much.
  • The disease is deadly, or can make you really miserable for a long time or even leave permanent damage. Some of us will get more sick than others and there isn't always an explanation. People are still out and about because we all need to do stuff outside once in a while. It is a risk. There is no way the government can disinfect all public places.
  • There is no way a masseuse can keep his studio clean enough to not spread the virus form one client or from themselves to another client, or vice versa.
  • Testing before and after a session doesn't necessarily help. If you've had a session, just self-isolate for 10 days. The world welcomes you back if you're still not sick by then.
  • When you decide to take a risk, you automatically bring those around you for the ride.
  • People still travel because they have to. Airlines still operate so they can pay their staff. And apparently they still have lay off a crap ton of people. Traveling is still a huge risk and yes travel really should have been shut down. In some Asian countries with almost no new cases nowadays you can't fly in without facing a 2-week state quarantine.
  • Don't talk about how "COVID deaths aren't really COVID deaths" if you don't have a basic concept of how people get sick and die. A great analogy I found on Twitter "I have Type 1 diabetes. I am healthy enough to run ultramarathons. If I get attacked by a bear & the ICU has trouble managing my blood sugar while caring for my bear attack wounds...and I die... the bear is the cause of my death."
  • If you just need to get tested so you can feel better before or after a session, please stay away from public health clinics and go to your own doctors. Save those tests for people who truly need them but cannot afford to get them.

If I have to place myself into a 2-week quarantine just because I decided to get a massage without specifically knowing that my masseur or the guy before me tested positive, that is a bit absurd. If it came to that, I just won't go for a massage - plain and simple.

If I have to place myself into a 2-week quarantine just because I decided to get a massage without specifically knowing that my masseur or the guy before me tested positive, that is a bit absurd. If it came to that, I just won't go for a massage - plain and simple.

Unfortunately, assuming that you do not know if the encounter you had was with an infected person or not, that's the safest thing to do. One could try to get a test before 10-14 days, but a negative test during that time still does not mean you're in the clear.

Unfortunately, assuming that you do not know if the encounter you had was with an infected person or not, that's the safest thing to do. One could try to get a test before 10-14 days, but a negative test during that time still does not mean you're in the clear.

I respect your opinion especially after seeing your later post that you a real doctor. I definitely know this virus is real and a killer. I never doubted it. The only people who are non-believers are those fortunate enough to not have been touched by it. I lost my mother in April at the height of the pandemic. The poor woman was taken away never to be seen again. I was her main caretaker and we were very close. Her health took a turn at the worst possible time and as she went from hospital to rehab, she caught the virus and passed away. She begged for me to visit her and when I tried my damndest, the security guards threatened to arrest me. I never saw Mom again. She was left to die all alone for the last weeks of her time here on earth. It still breaks my heart when I think about it. I know all too well what the famiies of the COVID victims endured.

I respect your opinion especially after seeing your later post that you a real doctor. I definitely know this virus is real and a killer. I never doubted it. The only people who are non-believers are those fortunate enough to not have been touched by it. I lost my mother in April at the height of the pandemic. The poor woman was taken away never to be seen again. I was her main caretaker and we were very close. Her health took a turn at the worst possible time and as she went from hospital to rehab, she caught the virus and passed away. She begged for me to visit her and when I tried my damndest, the security guards threatened to arrest me. I never saw Mom again. She was left to die all alone for the last weeks of her time here on earth. It still breaks my heart when I think about it. I know all too well what the famiies of the COVID victims endured.

Hi Redwine56, I'm genuinely sorry for your loss. I can only imagine having to die in pain and completely alone, and in a sedated state does not really understand why nobody was there for them. These beloved elderly have done so much for us and survived all the hardships in life.....they did not deserve to die this way. We have tested a lot of skilled nursing facilities, and at least 40-50% of the residents always test positive, and it's always somebody from the outside world that has brought the virus in with them. Each time I hear a story like yours, I cry. You and your mother have experienced the absolute worst, and unfortunately there have been at least 200,000 more stories that are pretty much similar to yours. As a healthcare professional I know how devastating this disease can be, but my experience is nothing compared to that of people whose loved ones were taken away due to COVID-19. All I can do is to try to do my job well and educate the public so people know how to keep themselves and those around them safe until we have a better tool to control this infection.

Hi Redwine56, I'm genuinely sorry for your loss. I can only imagine having to die in pain and completely alone, and in a sedated state does not really understand why nobody was there for them. These beloved elderly have done so much for us and survived all the hardships in life.....they did not deserve to die this way. We have tested a lot of skilled nursing facilities, and at least 40-50% of the residents always test positive, and it's always somebody from the outside world that has brought the virus in with them. Each time I hear a story like yours, I cry. You and your mother have experienced the absolute worst, and unfortunately there have been at least 200,000 more stories that are pretty much similar to yours. As a healthcare professional I know how devastating this disease can be, but my experience is nothing compared to that of people whose loved ones were taken away due to COVID-19. All I can do is to try to do my job well and educate the public so people know how to keep themselves and those around them safe until we have a better tool to control this infection.

Thank you so much. I can sense by your comments that you truly understand how I felt. It's not been easy for you either. I'm sure you have enough stories to write a book. I'd like to believe that a compassionate doctor like you may have comforted Mom before she was taken away from us.

Guest JakeAsherXXX

This has been asked an answered a few times in this forum already. You're going to get a multitude of responses. Mine is this: is that massage worth exposing yourself, your friends and family, and other members of your community to a deadly virus? There's no massage where someone can stay six feet away from you, and even if you both wear masks (unlikely) there's no certainty that the practitioner is doing a thorough job of cleaning the space. It just seems super reckless and somewhat selfish to ignore all the science and press on in this reality.

Do you know the person that prepares your food for carryout? Did you watch him/her take a test? What if he sneezed on your food? Your assumption that “massage is bad during covid” vs literally touching anything at a grocery store or getting Uber eats is “safe.”

From all of us- please have several seats.

Do you know the person that prepares your food for carryout? Did you watch him/her take a test? What if he sneezed on your food? Your assumption that “massage is bad during covid” vs literally touching anything at a grocery store or getting Uber eats is “safe.”

From all of us- please have several seats.

Keep your fake news current. There had not been a single case of food borne covid infection reported in ANY country with pandemic yet.

So sorry to hear this :(

Guest JakeAsherXXX

Keep your fake news current. There had not been a single case of food borne covid infection reported in ANY country with pandemic yet.

It’s always “fake news” when you can’t really answer. 70 percent of all massage business are basically open in CA. If it was so much of a health hazard now, everything would still be closed. Royally piss off my friend.

It’s always “fake news” when you can’t really answer. 70 percent of all massage business are basically open in CA. If it was so much of a health hazard now, everything would still be closed. Royally piss off my friend.

Didn’t mean to piss you off...I was ONLY commenting on your covid/food remarks...

This topic is 1322 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.