Jason Castro and the worst perf on American Idol this season

ariadne1880

This topic is 5270 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

His performance of "Memory" was the worst I've heard all season. It was truly awful. Sucked. Big time.

Thought Archuleta was terrifc and don't understand Simon Cowell's complaint.

If I had to predict, I'd say that dreadful Brooke White chick is toast.

Mark

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you on both instances you mentioned. I have not

been impressed with Jason Castro since the beginning. His

performance of Over the Rainbow a couple of weeks ago was

terrible. He must stay in the race because of all the young

girls voting for him. He does have a nice smile and beautiful

eyes but no voice, especially compared with the other talent

on the show.

Guest CURIOUS35

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

I chanced upon American Idol last night. And for curiosity, I decided to watch it.

My impressions are:

The boys: Jason, David A, and I think he is the Aussie boy ( I am bad at names) are very personable...and they will make good additions to the American Pop scene. I would rank the three boys: David A # 1, The Aussie (?) # 2, and Jason to the lower end of the scoreboared below the girls. But in fairness, I would rank Jason C # 1, the Aussie # 2 and maybe...just maybe... after 2 more years, I would rank David A as A-1 for good looks, charm, personality, sensuality and the effect they have on me :)

I like the black girl's performance, She, together with David A and the Aussie appealed to me last night.

This early...I am posting < A VERY PERSONAL OPINION!> I do recognize you guys have other choices! There was no intention to convince anyone!

P.S. I hate dreadlocks...but must admit Jason Castros blue (?) eyes made me hard! :) is he by chance of mixed parentage or is he Cuban or Argentinian?

I will check JC out again tonight! I liked the Brooke girl, Mark, but I agree with you...she might go home tonight...unless of course she is supported by a board or boards who like to mess up with the vetting of American Idol contestants ( remember that guy, Sanjaya was it? Never even thought he would have survived for many weeks. I heard he is going to Bollywood lol!)

"His performance of "Memory" was the worst I've heard all season. It was truly awful. Sucked."

Ditto... He absolutely destroyed that song and looked very uncomfortable singing it. I think David A. would have done a better job with it. I don't think A.L.W. was happy with some of the performances last night.

Sadly, AI is a popularity contest and the judges opinions hold little weight. So, I guess Jason C. will be around for 1 more week...IMO, Brooke will probably be singing her swan song tonight but then there's that sympathy vote that just might save her.

Guest zipperzone

>The boys: Jason, David A, and I think he is the Aussie boy ( I

>am bad at names) are very personable...and they will make good

>additions to the American Pop scene.

The "Aussi boy" as you put it was not the Aussi boy. The real Aussi boy was voted off last week. (Unless I'm wrong and David Cook is also from down under - could be!)

I felt very sorry for Brooke when she forgot the words and had to restart her song. It can happen to the best of them and she recovered very well. She might get the boot tonight but that's a shame as she really does have a lot of talent. At least she will get to go on the tour.

Guest CURIOUS35

>I'm sorry but Andrew Lloyd Webber just came across as this

>bitter old man last night and, frankly, looked a little like a

>pedophile lurking around a schoolyard.

>

>Mark

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Mark! perception...perception...perception!

He is a good!!!!!

maybe not as great as many people think he is, as a music impressario. I , however, salute his successes.

I would not categroize him as a pedophile lurking around a school yard -- I look at him and I see a talented...maybe demanding...maybe shy (?) or even eccentric to a point -- man!

Of course, that is just a perception on my part :) ... I don't know the guy -- it is hard to just brand him. But yes, despite his physical liabilities...I do like him! I am sure you do too! :)

Maybe we should discuss him as Nessun dorma plays when you come to town? :)

Guest ReturnOfS

>Well, some people liked Tiny Tim and Weird Al Jankovic, too.

>There are always freaks who like other freak shows.

>

>Mark

Because I like Jason Castro, its not enough for you to respect my opinion? I have to be a freak? Thats some bullshit.

I like all three of the guys, by the way. I also believe that Dave A will probably win, and deservingly so. I'll be happy if all 3 of the guys make it to the final 3.

Guest ReturnOfS

I usually don't like dreads. It took me a while to get use to Jason C's dreads, but once I did I fell for him.

I actually missed most of American Idol last night since I was watching the primary results. I only tuned in to see the 3 guys. I did see a few snipets of Syesha's performance when they did the recap at the end of the show. From what I saw it looked like the best performance in a while. The snippets of the performance that I saw of the lady with the black hair didn't look that bad either. I would love to see her really belt it out one of these days.

In terms of Sanjaya, I think that he stayed on so long because of the teenage girls and other people who liked his personality and boyish good looks. I myself always thought that he had a lot of potential. The impact of the votefortheworse.com people probably didn't have nearly the impact that people thought. No, he's not in Bollywood. I've been seeing him guest hosting and making guest appearances on many shows.

Guest ReturnOfS

>"His performance of "Memory" was the worst

>I've heard all season. It was truly awful. Sucked."

>

>Ditto... He absolutely destroyed that song and looked very

>uncomfortable singing it. I think David A. would have done a

>better job with it. I don't think A.L.W. was happy with some

>of the performances last night.

>

>Sadly, AI is a popularity contest and the judges opinions hold

>little weight. So, I guess Jason C. will be around for 1 more

>week...IMO, Brooke will probably be singing her swan song

>tonight but then there's that sympathy vote that just might

>save her.

I actually liked Jason's performance, as I wrote before. However I have to admit that I had never heard the "Memory" song before last night. If I had then perhaps I would feel the same way that I felt after hearing Syesha sing "I Will Always Love You". She wasn't that bad, but I'm use to Whitney Houston's version. Whitney Houston, she ain't.

Guest ReturnOfS

By the wa, isn't this about the time in American Idol when the really popular performer either gets booted or ends up in the bottom 3?

Guest ReturnOfS

>By the wa, isn't this about the time in American Idol when

>the really popular performer either gets booted or ends up in

>the bottom 3?

**spoiler****spoiler****spoiler****spoiler****spoiler**

Scratch that. Both Davids are safe.

>I actually liked Jason's performance, as I wrote before.

>However I have to admit that I had never heard the

>"Memory" song before last night.

TURN IN YOUR GAY CARD! }( Even *I'VE* heard several versions (including live on Broadway), and I've been oblivious to most contemporary music since 1974. ;-)

>If I had then

>perhaps I would feel the same way that I felt after hearing

>Syesha sing "I Will Always Love You". She wasn't

>that bad, but I'm use to Whitney Houston's version. Whitney

>Houston, she ain't.

I still hear Dolly's voice when I think of that song. It was written (and performed by Dolly) for the movie "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas". Granted, Houston's performance of it was way better but first impressions and all that... The impression of Dolly Parton singing that song to Burt Reynolds in a Whorehouse doesn't die easy. LOL

Guest zipperzone

>However I have to admit that I had never heard the

>"Memory" song before last night.

It is beyond me how anyone who is not totally deaf can honestly say they have never heard "Memory", which by the way, IMHO, has been performed to death by every singer that ever lived (especially Streisand)

It was the highlight of Cats - a musical I hated and bored me no end but I would have thought it was impossible to miss it.

I think packaging yourself is the most important factor after talent. Carly lost because I just do not think she packaged herself to fit the broad spectrum of America, plus I do think not being a American hurt her chances. I loved her voice and I believe all six finalists have unique voices that if they land with a good producer can do well.

Brooke stayed because she has a unique style and remains vunerable and is a very likeable person.

Sorry but Jason's performance made me cringe. His vocal range is extremely limited. Although the person who did the original Broadway performance is not known as a big time singer, Betty Buckley. I too found Cats to be the most overated boring show I have ever seen, but thats for another time.

This week Idols go to two songs and the worst usually go home. They sing Neil Diamond who has a ton of songs to pick from but the style will be very difficult. David C is the only one who can probably do two of his songs well. Everyone else is going to stuggle a bit on at least one of the performances. The two ladies I think will have the most difficulty unless Seyesha can somehow pull off the duet You Dont Bring me Flowers I just dont see anything she can sing from Neil.

David vs David. I loved David A early on, however, everytime he has challenged himself to do something a bit different it has not worked. I think his voice is a bit immature for success at this time. I agree with some of the other critiques that he has difficulty breathing and moving around the stage. He is better suited to stay in one spot. I would love to hear him sing 3-5 years from now. He is cute and the girls love him but he is nowhere ready to challenge a Leona Lewis or a Carrie Underwood or even a Jordan Sparks for that matter. It should be David C he has been willing to challenge himself all season and even though Music of the Night may be a bit big for him, his range and voice seem to be getting better. Again with two songs he is the only one I think that can step up to the demand.

I don't know how culturally ignorant one has to be to not have ever heard the song "Memory" or even heard of it at all. That's a level of ignorance that baffles me.

I could live 100 years and I will never get Jason Castro. He's a circus freak to me with a voice that has a range from A to B. David Cook does nothing for me and I think his voice is a bit tattered already so at 35 he will probably have nothing left but a wisp of a voice. But at least he is attractive.

How that awful Brooke White is still on the show is amazing. Who could she possibly be popular with? Other white trash blondes who cannot sing?

To me, Archuleta is the only one I care to listen to. Yes, he is limited (he's only 17) but he remains the only contestant whose voice connects with me and with many others. And I hate pop music! At the end, that is what really defines a star. It's the purity of his voice combined with the way he connects emotionally. He should win the title alone for the potential that this kid has. He could -- at 25 -- end up being a big, strapping hunk with a voice the size of an opera singer. That's where it sounds like he's headed.

And creepy Lloyd Webber was right about one thing (apart from his criticism of Jason Castro which I loved!): Archuleta needs to keep his eyes open.

Neil Diamond -- another song "writer" I cannot stand. I sure hope Archuleta doesn't choose one of his songs from The Jazz Singer.

Mark

Guest CURIOUS35

>He stole most of his melodies from Puccini.

>

>And, sorry, but he looks like a creepy pedophile lurking

>around a schoolyard looking for little girls.

>

>Creepy.

>

>Mark

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Marc! Weber is not the only one who does that! From my earliest recollection, my mom alwasy said that pop hit...that song...that melody is from the ________ works of ___________!

I dont know if it is the norm for the industry, but it is prevalent...nothing new there :) (Now, dont scream at me! I love u! LOL

As an opera buff Marc, You know some known composers use to play some works upside down, to write new scores: in reverse order or what not..Maybe composers and impressarios like Weber, just find it a convenient way to PUMP PRIME! as they say in economics when they do their scores.

P.S. Pump priming is akin to someone puting in some water to a pump in order to cajole (!)(?) pump (!)(?) push up by a leading pressure...the water from the bottom of the pump!. Just trying to be dramatic..Basically it mean, tweaking the pump to get water from below the ground! :)

Guest zipperzone

>Carly lost because I just do not think she packaged

>herself to fit the broad spectrum of America, plus I do think

>not being a American hurt her chances.

The best thing about getting Carly off the show is that we no longer have to look at her husband. (Strangly I don't think he was in the audience Wed night). He has the ugliest tatoos, which totally cover his face, and I find it very difficult to look at anyone who is into self mutilation like he is. A well placed tat on a sexy bod is hot but he sure wasn't.

Also Carly's right arm was tatooed from shoulder to almost her wrist -made her look like a biker's girl and probably didn't help her chances either.