Chadwick Boseman (Black Panther) has died...

big-n-tall
This topic is 1073 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Mine have varied, depending on the results. They were every couple of years but after the last, they told me I wouldn't need one for another five years.

Usually, but I think if they find any polyp, even benign, they tell you come back in 3. If you have several in row with none I think the gap gets extended further.

That's exactly what happened to me. There was one case of colon cancer in my family so my previous Dr. said "every 2 years," but in the last 3 colonoscopies every 2 years my colon appears to be pristine and working perfectly, so the new Dr said: "From now on, every 5 years." My only fear is that cancer can be deceiving, and given the right conditions easily build up in less than 5 years if unchecked. ?

Edited by orville

Unicorn is right BUT only to a point. In my opinion EVERYONE should have a colonoscopy at about age 35. If the colon is clear of polyps fine then start an every five year repeat at age 50. I am perfectly aware that colon cancer has a tendency to run in families BUT not always. My mother who was a preventative fanatic and was found to have polyps at age 55 and insisted that all the rest of the family have the procedure regardless of age. I had my first one in my early 30,s and one every five years right up to the present. The worst part of a colonoscopy isn't the actual procedure it's the damn preparation the day before. My nephew had his first colonoscopy at about age 35 at the insistence of both my mother and my sister. After the procedure the doctor informed him that his colon looked like a forest full of polyps and that if he had waited an other year or two he would have been beyond help. He had so many polyps that they couldn't all be removed at once and he had to go in once a year for five years to get more removed. He is now 65 and goes in every year for a colonoscopy. I realize that some insurance companies will balk at paying for a colonoscopy for someone under the age of 50 without symptoms or a family history of colon cancer cancer BUT they will give in and pay IF the person persists and insists.

Yes, familial polyposis is definitely one of those conditions which would lower the age in which one started looking, and increase the frequency with which one would look. However, there are lots of data and scientific studies behind the recommendations given by the USPSTF. Colonoscopy is absolutely not a risk-free and benign procedure. One in one thousand procedures results in a serious complication (perforation most common). If the odds of finding something actionable at a certain age are one in ten thousand, then the procedure's risk exceeds its potential benefit. The USPSTF gathers the nation's leading experts in the field, pores over all available scientific studies, and makes the necessary calculations. It's usually not a good idea to deviate from their recommendations (only if there's been a new groundbreaking study which hasn't yet been incorporated into those recommendations). The USPSTF is now reviewing their current guidelines in light of more recent studies.

All medical interventions have risks as well as potential benefits. I really would encourage people to follow the advice of the experts in the field whose job it is to evaluate the data, rather than do something because "I heard about someone to which such-and-such happened." Science is our friend. Listen to the experts.

That's exactly what happened to me. There was one case of colon cancer in my family so my previous Dr. said "every 2 years," but in the last 3 colonoscopies every 2 years my colon appears to be pristine and working perfectly, so the new Dr said: "From now on, every 5 years." My only fear is that cancer can be deceiving, and given the right conditions easily build up in less than 5 years if unchecked. ?

A good way to combat fear is knowledge. Colon cancer screening is the best cancer screening we have in terms of saving lives for a good reason: there is a very long lag-time from small polyp, to larger polyp, to pre-cancerous polyp, etc. (Colon cancer screening is much more effective than mammography screening is for breast cancer). Unless you have certain intestinal diseases, such as familial polyposis or ulcerative colitis, the current recommended guidelines are enough to keep you safe.

• 8 months later...

I think around age 60 I was told that I did not need to ever have a colonoscopy again. So I haven't. But did you ever watch the procedure as they performed it? The colon is a fascinating place, sort of like I picture outer space! Most people fall asleep while the camera is running.

3 hours ago, Lucky said:

I think around age 60 I was told that I did not need to ever have a colonoscopy again. So I haven't. But did you ever watch the procedure as they performed it? The colon is a fascinating place, sort of like I picture outer space! Most people fall asleep while the camera is running.

They anesthetize you, you don't "fall" asleep, you are gently pushed...

5 hours ago, Lucky said:

Of course, it depends on one's life expectancy. Probably not necessary if at 60 you have bad COPD and are on oxygen. But the USPSTF gives a Grade A recommendation to get colon cancer screening from age 50 to 75 (very strong evidence of significant benefit), and Grade B recommendation from age 45 to 49. From age 76 to 85, the evidence of benefit is meager (Grade C). Unless you have an illness which has a significant impact on your life expectancy, I would go by the USPSTF guidelines.

https://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/uspstf/recommendation/colorectal-cancer-screening