Any Successfully Converted Vegans / Vegetarians ?

orville
This topic is 1343 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@RealAvalon after trying the veggie meat for a week I realized my body immediately felt the lack of animal protein.

Less lucidity, softer stools, this one is weird (cold feet at night, perhaps fewer calories?), and what I didn't want to see: hair around my keyboard ?

This week I'm trying chicken (feeling better so far) and I will try veggie meat again next week but taking B12 to see if I feel any difference.

Not sure if I should add some other source of vegetal protein when I prepare pasta with veggie-meat-sauce...

@RealAvalon after trying the veggie meat for a week I realized my body immediately felt the lack of animal protein.

Less lucidity, softer stools, this one is weird (cold feet at night, perhaps fewer calories?), and what I didn't want to see: hair around my keyboard ?

This week I'm trying chicken (feeling better so far) and I will try veggie meat again next week but taking B12 to see if I feel any difference.

Not sure if I should add some other source of vegetal protein when I prepare pasta with veggie-meat-sauce...

Everyone is different, I didn't notice anything, other than losing 4kg, because of reduced fat consumption.

I don't know how old you are, but are you maybe just losing your hair anyway?

Everyone is different, I didn't notice anything, other than losing 4kg, because of reduced fat consumption.

I don't know how old you are, but are you maybe just losing your hair anyway?

Mid 50s. The hair appeared around my keyboard just by the end of last week when I was eating only the pasta with veggie meat sauce. I even added avocado to add more protein.

Mid 50s. The hair appeared around my keyboard just by the end of last week when I was eating only the pasta with veggie meat sauce. I even added avocado to add more protein.

Iron deficiency can cause hair loss. It’s a bigger problem for women of child bearing age but it’s always possible.

BBC radio program I was listening to, forget the guest's name at the moment. In line with the 10 pounds of grain for one pound of meat statistic that gets referenced a lot.

So just some dude who said something, as far as we know...

The article says people need complete protein in their diet, and iron, for hair growth. That doesn't mean red meat (have you been to India), or any kind of animal protein for that matter. Everything has protein in it. You just need to eat widely enough to get all of the various amino acids needed to build protein. And sources of iron and other minerals.

Edited by RealAvalon

Still doesn't make reference to the actual studies involved. But I do agree that beef production seems to be uniquely damaging to the environment, and I do avoid it for the most part. I probably have beef once a month.

• 2 weeks later...

Next week I will see if there is any difference with the same diet plus the Vit B12 supplement.

I take B12 + Iron (twice a week) + a daily multivitamin that doesn't contain iron. Never had a problem with energy levels, hair loss, or anything else.

Also take flax seed oil & use organic ground chia & flax seeds in my diet... usually in protein shakes, cereals, etc.

Last weekend I made a big batch of the same meal (pasta + veggie meat sauce) and blended it with ground chicken at 10%

I also added a green salad as per the Adventist dietitian in the video I posted earlier in this thread. It kills the cravings between meals.

I started taking B12 daily (please comment if I shouldn't be taking it daily) and IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE!

I've eaten in 1 week the equivalent of half chicken breast - and no red meat at all. ?

I've been drinking kefir, and eating more avocado and yogurt to provide my body with more protein, just in case.

This week's attempt to reduce my meat intake was more "successful" and without any tangible side effects on my health.

Next week I'm preparing dishes with tuna, salmon, and shrimp to give some variety to my body as well. ☺

Edited by orville

I started taking B12 daily (please comment if I shouldn't be taking it daily) and IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE!

I’m as far from vegan/vegetarian as one could imagine! But, I’ve been taking liquid B12 sublingually for over 11 years. It’s been good for me, I also take a few other daily vitamins doc says bloodwork all good ??

Last weekend I made a big batch of the same meal (pasta + veggie meat sauce) and blended it with ground chicken at 10%

I also added a green salad as per the Adventist dietitian in the video I posted earlier in this thread. It kills the cravings between meals.

I've eaten in 1 week the equivalent of half chicken breast - and no red meat at all. ?

I've been drinking kefir, and eating more avocado and yogurt to provide my body with more protein, just in case.

This week's attempt to reduce my meat intake was more "successful" and without any tangible side effects on my health.

Next week I'm preparing dishes with tuna, salmon, and shrimp to give some variety to my body as well. ☺

Congratulations. I think it's figuring out what works for you. Protein has never been a problem for me, but I'm not a high performance athlete (obviously). I can't eat tuna anymore, its a long lived fish, lots of bioconcentration of toxins and a replacement cycle of 40-50 years.