Samsung Oven?

Gar1eth
This topic is 1399 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Where I'm living has a Samsung stove/oven combination. The oven has setting for both a conventional oven and a convection oven. This is my first experience with a convection oven. And I've noticed two things.

(I unfortunately don't know the model number, or I'd look up the manual. That might answer my questions.)

1). There is no bottom heating element. This begs the question then of what is the difference between using the Regular/Conventional oven setting at 500 or 550 degrees F and using the 'Broiling' low/high setting.

2). When placed on the Convection setting, the highest you can set the temperature to is 375 F. Is this common for convection ovens?

Thanking any help I receive in advance.

Gman

These are semi-educated guesses:

1. Theoretically, there is no difference until the temperature reaches 500, then the oven would turn off. The broiler would not turn off until it reaches the Factory preset maximum temperature.

2. This seems to be a factory preset maximum for your oven. Keep in mind that for baking purposes the convection oven is actually set to 25 degrees lower that regular oven bake. So, if the recipe calls for 350 degrees and you are using convection, set the temperature to 325 degrees.

That’s all I got!

David

2). When placed on the Convection setting, the highest you can set the temperature to is 375 F. Is this common for convection ovens?

Mine seems the same, irritating !

2. This seems to be a factory preset maximum for your oven. Keep in mind that for baking purposes the convection oven is actually set to 25 degrees lower that regular oven bake. So, if the recipe calls for 350 degrees and you are using convection, set the temperature to 325 degrees.

Wow, you taught me something...I wondered why my convention setting always went 25° less? My convection “bake” maxes at 350° but convection “roast” goes much higher. I’ve been told it’s which fans in the oven activate bake vs. roast.

Non-convection I can set mine to 550°...great for pizza.

Edited by MikeBiDude

I have a Samsung gas range (gas stovetop and electric oven). The model number can be found by pulling out the drawer on the bottom - the tag should be just to the left of the drawer. Then go to the link down below and enter the model number to download the manual.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/home-appliances/ranges/gas

My manual says that the default temp for Convection roasting/baking is 350 - and then you press the number pads to enter your desired cooking temp (e.g. 4,2,5).

The manual for my Samsung gas oven says that "The Broil function allows you to cook and brown foods using only a top heat source." On my model (NX58965) there are only two temps for broil - Hi and Lo, at least that is what the manual says. Since TV dinners don't require broiling or using the convection oven, I have no experience with either. Hope this helps.

BTW, it's my understanding that the difference between a regular oven and convection oven is that the convection oven blows the air in the oven so that you get a better overall bake/roasting, and decreases the cooking time. Says a Google search:

Convection creates a dry atmosphere that caramelizes the sugars faster when roasting, so foods like meats and vegetables get browner, but the interiors stay moist. It saves energy: Because food cooks faster in a convection oven, and generally at a lower temperature, it's a bit more energy efficient than a regular oven.

Edited by JayCeeKy

In many electric convection ovens the heat source is a coil around the circulating fan at the rear of the oven. In a gas model it is a simple circulating fan that forces/pushes the heated air around the item in the chamber. It is likely, if yours is electric, there is a heating element under the oven floor. By putting it there it increases capacity and makes for easier cleaning . The top element is exposed for broiling functions as noted up thread.