COVID precautions

Brad1212
This topic is 1112 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the grammar police had the weekend off. You must feel pretty lonely there. Go and enjoy your day, is nice out there ;)

I prefer the term grammar nazi.

But seriously, why wouldn't you want someone to correct you if you misuse words or grammar? Who wants to sound like an idiot? If someone corrects me I thank them and make a mental note of my error.

And I agree, it's a beautiful morning here in the Oakland hills. I woke up to sex with my husband and now he's in the kitchen making us breakfast while I catch up on the forum.

You enjoy your day too!

(Or shuld me sayd enjoy you're day to?)

Getting back to Brad, I agree that wearing a mask during a massage would be uncomfortable. But protecting yourself is pretty darned important, so what choice do you have? Any precaution that you relax increases your risk, so is a massage worth it these days? Surely you want the masseur to wear a mask because that protects you. But I think he wants protection from you as well, so mask is required, imo.

I prefer the term grammar nazi.

But seriously, why wouldn't you want someone to correct you if you misuse words or grammar? Who wants to sound like an idiot? If someone corrects me I thank them and make a mental note of my error.

And I agree, it's a beautiful morning here in the Oakland hills. I woke up to sex with my husband and now he's in the kitchen making us breakfast while I catch up on the forum.

You enjoy your day too!

(Or shuld me sayd enjoy you're day to?)

If you want to correct someone, you can do it privately. You are not contributing to OP’s question by pointing out his mistake. And as you said, you sound like a grammar nazi.

Also, the way you just posted the link is very condescending and makes you look like you have a sense of superiority. I don’t know if you are like that or not. But that’s the image I perceive.

Does anyone have any advice for staying safe from Covid during a massage? I’m not sure how relaxing a massage would be wearing a mask?

I agree with those who say the safest course is don't do it. However, we all get to evaluate and accept risk for ourselves. Two weeks ago, I took the first plunge since COVID arrived with a therapist I've seen in the past. I know him to be a clean, fastidious guy, and he assured me that he was cleaning his place thoroughly between clients, airing out the massage room, etc. He also asked me to shower upon arrival - not sure that makes much of a difference, but I didn't object or mind. I chose to wear a mask during the session; he didn't. He said he would wear one if I'd asked him to, but the massage room is in his home, he's there all day, exhaling droplets etc., so I didn't really feel that it would make that much of a difference for my protection. I understand that the mask is more for the protection of others, but I felt better wearing it, so I did. Honestly, while I would have preferred not to, it was fine, not especially uncomfortable, and not all that annoying. I tend to zone out during a massage session anyway, and the mask didn't prevent that from happening.

Other than asking him to wear a mask (which again, I didn't), I don't know of any other reasonable precautions to recommend. Overall, I was glad I went - I hurt my Achilles tendon trying to start running again, and I just needed a little attention anyway (unlike some folk, I don't have a husband to bang me or make me breakfast :p). But, on the other hand, I'm also glad that 14 days passed yesterday without me getting sick, and while I would love to go and perhaps check out some of the other providers recommended on this forum, I am going to keep my pants on and wait awhile again, particularly given the spike in case numbers here in the LA area. As they say, YMMV.

Edited by db66

I'd avoid traveling masseurs, especially those coming from 'hot spots'. Just stick to the local ones. Ask them if they have traveled or been in a large crowd gathering recently.

The predominant way of transmitting the virus is still through aerosols exhaled through the nose and mouth. Putting on a mask for both parties is a pre-requisite in reducing the majority of the risks if you really have to see a masseur now.

It's been 3 months (almost 4) since my last massage, so I texted my regular to see about scheduling; he's not taking clients right now due to the spike here in the Dallas area. Then I considered texting a former regular who has returned to Dallas after being away for several years, but he's marked as unavailable. So.....I'm taking those statuses as a hint and won't schedule for a while.

Edited by BigNoiseDallas

It's been 3 months (almost 4) since my last massage, so I texted my regular to see about scheduling; he's not taking clients right now due to the spike here in the Dallas area. Then I considered texting a former regular who has returned to Dallas after being away for several years, but he's marked as unavailable. So.....I'm taking those statuses as a hint and won't schedule for a while.

Edited by BigNoiseDallas

Do you wear a mask even when you’re face down? That seems counter productive? It could blow your air back behind you toward the masseur instead of toward the ground? I understand while walking in and laying face up, but not so much while face down.

I wore a mask while I was face down during my session. My face was in the cradle, so having the sides of the mask pressed against my face would seem to prevent the blowback effect you describe, but I didn't really focus on that.

Do you wear a mask even when you’re face down? That seems counter productive? It could blow your air back behind you toward the masseur instead of toward the ground? I understand while walking in and laying face up, but not so much while face down.

I wore a mask while I was face down during my session. My face was in the cradle, so having the sides of the mask pressed against my face would seem to prevent the blowback effect you describe, but I didn't really focus on that.

Precisely . . . For my breakout massage with one of my regulars who took out his massage table just for me, he wore a mask the entire time and I wore one while on my back but not when on stomach whiile face was in cradle. He didn't even want me to talk throughout the massage so it was the quietest massage I've ever had.

Precisely . . . For my breakout massage with one of my regulars who took out his massage table just for me, he wore a mask the entire time and I wore one while on my back but not when on stomach whiile face was in cradle. He didn't even want me to talk throughout the massage so it was the quietest massage I've ever had.

I’ve now had two massages. Both with long time regulars. And oh so nice to be touched again! I actually met with the first masseur for coffee days before. He was just starting to see current clients. He guaranteed squeaky clean space and masks. Well once I was on the table, I couldn’t stand the mask. Asked him how he was, both our masks came off. All well, waited 18 days before next massage. Second one the masseur showed me his covid antibodies test results. He tested positive with an extremely high load and yet was never sick. He’s also a personal trainer, so perhaps not surprising he was positive. Whether warranted or not, I did feel more relaxed without the mask. Both sessions were great. But I go to these particular guys for their on table body to body style. First guy didn’t get up on the table, which I expected. Certainly missed that interactivity which was alway Uber erotic. Second was more interactive up on the table but still reserved. Been 2 weeks now. Not sure what’s next. Don’t think I’m ready for a spa yet. But certainly feeling more human, and yes relieved that my risky behavior didn’t turn into a bad situation. Can’t wait for that damn vaccine!

Does one have to wear a mask over the anal aperture too?

Haha!! This is the best thing I've read all day!

In response to the OP... If the masseur is COVID positive, then there's a very strong chance of transmission even with a mask on. The most recent data suggest that COVID is transmitted not just by large respiratory droplets but by very fine particles via aerosol transmission. In other words, sharing "air space" with someone is enough, even if they don't cough or sneeze. And unless the mask is a medical grade N95 mask, it probably won't do much to prevent aerosol transmission. I'm not an expert in infectious disease, but I do work in medicine, and this is the most up-to-date thinking on COVID transmission.

Obviously getting a massage right now is a risk, but like other risks in life the goal is to 1) minimize that risk as much as possible and 2) figure out what level of risk you're comfortable with, then proceed accordingly. While there's no way to know for sure that the masseur is COVID negative, I do think it helps going to someone you've seen before, whom you trust will be honest about any possible exposure and who will cancel if they are feeling even a little ill. Also, some masseurs see 5 guys a day, some only see 5 a week. I think this makes a big difference, too...

And unless the mask is a medical grade N95 mask, it probably won't do much to prevent aerosol transmission.

Correct!

The general public seems to think that N95s would always be protective for everyone. The truth is healthcare workers are "fit-tested" and certified every year to make sure the make and model of their mask of choice still works on their faces. It's not fun (you put your mask on, then they put a hood on your head, spray super bitter stuff in your face and if you taste it you fail) but very necessary. People that fail their fit test and are unable to find a mask that works for them are not allowed to work in a setting where N95s are required. The bottom line is, one would need to choose the right type of mask that fits their faces well, and be trained on how to put it on and off safely. It's trickier than you think!